Actual size of a Texas Mosquito

Here we have two sizes of skeeters; one is so small it can go through the holes in a screen door. The other is big enough to just open the door and come on in.

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

Just finished reading a book by a Jerome Goddard called 'The Well of Destiny' about a mosquito borne encephalitis outbreak in Mississippi with not-so-innocent origins. It focuses around the Mississippi State Dept. of Health's investigation of the outbreak. This especially appealed to me since I work for the Dept. of Health (as does the author) and I recognized several of the characters in the book. None of the skeeters in the book carried off or swallowed or mated with gators but they were some mean little critters

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by geovamp:

Those are not mosquitos you have been seeing they a mini vampire bats icon_razz.gif

That's actually what I wrote in this log: Walk on the WiLd Side

Basically, I think all the vampire writers got it all wrong. There are no such things as vampire bats. They are all really just Texas Mosquitos!

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

[This message was edited by VentureForth on July 25, 2002 at 11:42 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by geovamp:

Those are not mosquitos you have been seeing they a mini vampire bats icon_razz.gif

That's actually what I wrote in this log: Walk on the WiLd Side

Basically, I think all the vampire writers got it all wrong. There are no such things as vampire bats. They are all really just Texas Mosquitos!

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

[This message was edited by VentureForth on July 25, 2002 at 11:42 AM.]

I was in south Texas last weekend, and did have a mosquito of that size land on my arm. Not as big as some of our Florida skeeters, but it was certainly a lot more colorful - I don't think I've ever seen one with a partially green body.