Link back to user profile page from list of found or hidden caches

GeePa

When looking at a list of a user's found or hidden caches there is no link back to the user's profile page making it a pain to get back to their main page to look at something else, especially if you have clicked on a number of different pages in their cache list.  There is a reference to the user's name at the top of each page but it is not a clickable link.  I would like to see that changed to a clickable link back to the users main profile page or back to the Geocaches tab for that user.

The "Back" button works for me: visit cache, Back, visit another cache, Back, visit yet another cache, Back, etc.

So does using Command-Click (or Ctrl-Click on MS Windows) to open the links: Command-Click, close tab, Command-Click, close another tab, Command-Click, etc.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, GeePa said:

When looking at a list of a user's found or hidden caches there is no link back to the user's profile page making it a pain to get back to their main page to look at something else, especially if you have clicked on a number of different pages in their cache list.  There is a reference to the user's name at the top of each page but it is not a clickable link.  I would like to see that changed to a clickable link back to the users main profile page or back to the Geocaches tab for that user.

I agree and I'm also missing often this link on that view.

My workaround: On most browsers you can long press the back button for a list of recent webpages and usually I can quickly resume to the start or profile page.

4 hours ago, Hynz said:

My workaround: On most browsers you can long press the back button for a list of recent webpages and usually I can quickly resume to the start or profile page.

Workaround? This is just using your normal browser functionality.

I don't expect normal browser functionality to be replicated (poorly) on every site I visit. (Although it would be nice if sites--including the geocaching.com site--stopped using JavaScript to break normal browser functionality.)

• Helpful 1
17 hours ago, niraD said:

Workaround? This is just using your normal browser functionality.

But since the OP wrote:

On 2/13/2020 at 1:20 AM, GeePa said:

making it a pain to get back to their main page to look at something else, especially if you have clicked on a number of different pages in their cache list.

he maybe was not aware of this browser functionality.

Maybe "workaround" was not a proper term but in my opinion every website showing paginated information which invites to browse by clicking multiple times to the next pages should have a link back to the root page where I started of. Especially since here the username is written on top and only the embedded link is missing.

Sometimes I end up exceeding the history buffer and need to cumbersome figure out the link to the profile I started from.

• Upvote 1

As a point of design, if I'm viewing a profile, I would always expect a title/header/section lead that includes a link back to the top level. Not as a manner of "going back", but just as a manner of easy navigation.  A sub-index within the profile, as it were.  Even though I'd use the history to go back if I knew that was quicker. Everyone has different navigation habits, but moving to a new sub-page and including zero links to sibling pages or the top level at all and relying solely on the user's back button isn't good design, imo. It's stub pages.

18 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Everyone has different navigation habits, but moving to a new sub-page and including zero links to sibling pages or the top level at all and relying solely on the user's back button isn't good design, imo. It's stub pages.

But it isn't a sub-page. It's a cache page. And the user could have come from the owner's page, from any of the finders' pages, from a bookmark list, from search results, from the map, or from any number of other pages. I would never expect a page to have a "back" link in such a situation, and if it has one, then I wouldn't trust it.

5 hours ago, Hynz said:

he maybe was not aware of this browser functionality.

Yeah, and I saw a recent study that found that most people don't even know how to search for text on a page (Command-F or Ctrl-F). It may be hopeless.

But if web pages keep trying to mimic basic browser functionality, then they'll only add to the chaos.

12 minutes ago, niraD said:

But it isn't a sub-page. It's a cache page.

I'm referring to this context:

On 2/12/2020 at 7:20 PM, GeePa said:

When looking at a list of a user's found or hidden caches there is no link back to the user's profile page

Why not make this a link?

image.png.70b92c69dadfc139f935f1600157aa3a.png

If you've come from the profile, this page loses the navigation hierarchy.  To me (apart from the 'back' issue) this is a navigation irk.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Upvote 2
44 minutes ago, niraD said:

But it isn't a sub-page. It's a cache page. And the user could have come from the owner's page, from any of the finders' pages, from a bookmark list, from search results, from the map, or from any number of other pages. I would never expect a page to have a "back" link in such a situation, and if it has one, then I wouldn't trust it.

It's not a cache page, it's a cache list page. It makes perfect sense for it to have a link back to the source of the list. In fact, I'd claim it's just an oversight that the user name at the top of the page telling you where the list came from isn't a hyperlink.

For those of you suggesting "back": the time I want this link the most is when I've been pawing all over the list, forward and back, page after page, so it can be many, many pages back in my browser history to get to the user profile page. Like too far back for it to show up in the first page of the history list people are suggesting I pull up.

I admit this is a minor point, but as thebruce0 points out, the solution seems obvious and trivial. The user name's already there, all that's missing is a link behind it.

• Upvote 2
On 2/14/2020 at 10:21 AM, dprovan said:

It's not a cache page, it's a cache list page. It makes perfect sense for it to have a link back to the source of the list. In fact, I'd claim it's just an oversight that the user name at the top of the page telling you where the list came from isn't a hyperlink.

For those of you suggesting "back": the time I want this link the most is when I've been pawing all over the list, forward and back, page after page, so it can be many, many pages back in my browser history to get to the user profile page. Like too far back for it to show up in the first page of the history list people are suggesting I pull up.

I admit this is a minor point, but as thebruce0 points out, the solution seems obvious and trivial. The user name's already there, all that's missing is a link behind it.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was referring to.  I am very proficient in using a browser and know of all the ways mentioned by everyone to get back to where I came from.  However, none of those methods is less clicks/key presses/taps/scrolls than having a simple link at the top of each page of the users' list to go back to that user's profile (or better yet, the Geocaches tab of the profile page).  I have resorted to just opening the list in another tab (ctrl click the link) so that I preserve the users' profile main page geocaches tab in its own browser tab and closing the tab with the list once done perusing.  Still, this method results in one more more click/tap/key press than if I simply had a link at the top of the list page.

• Upvote 1