New Guidelines

igator210

I'm puzzled by the new guidelines in an email I just got:

• Physical objects or containers are no longer allowed in the Adventure

Does this include such things as historical markers, information kiosks or anything else you actually look at?

I was working on a Night Lab Adventure... I guess i can't even put up reflectors?

Edited by igator210
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, igator210 said:

What is a reason for introducing this change? As far as I can understand geofencing requirement, this one is completely surprising to me. The only advantage of lab caches over virtuals has gone...

Will this apply also for labs created for mega events?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, igator210 said:

I'm puzzled by the new guidelines in an email I just got:

Does this include such things as historical markers, information kiosks or anything else you actually look at?

I was working on a Night Lab Adventure... I guess i can't even put up reflectors?

For the purpose of Geocaching, things you place for the cache are physical objects.  Existing markers or structures are virtual objects.  I hope they mean we can still have questions about virtual objects (such as a word or number on a sign).  If they mean we can only ask general questions about a place, and not about something you may see at a Stage, that’s gonna be tough for hiders.  But much easier for armchair cachers.

• Upvote 1

Here is the copy of the email:

Greetings xxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for helping Geocaching HQ experiment with the Adventure Lab platform! With over 1,800 public Adventures worldwide, we’ve made some important changes and updated the guidelines. As we continue to expand the platform, we want to keep you informed.

News:

• New deadline: If your Adventure is not yet live, you have until May 1, 2020 to make it public. Unsure if you still have an Adventure credit? Log into the Adventure Lab Builder.
  • Updated tips: Looking for inspiration? We’ve updated our Tips on how to create an enjoyable Adventure Lab experience.
  • Geofencing changes: Soon we will require a Geofence for each stage of an Adventure. All Adventures without Geofencing will be updated to have the maximum allowable radius.

Guideline updates:

• Improved instructions: We’ve updated the Adventure Lab builder guide to include new step-by-step instructions.
  • Guideline Updates: We’ve updated the Adventure Lab guidelines with these key changes:
    • Physical objects or containers are no longer allowed in the Adventure (bonus caches published on Geocaching.com for completed Adventures are okay).
    • Players must physically visit Adventure locations.

Note: Adventures that were public before February 10, 2020 are allowed to continue under the previous guidelines but this is subject to change if for example, we receive complaints about a particular Adventure or other issues arise.

We will continue to invest in the platform and we look forward to seeing many more Adventures go live in 2020! For further information, please visit our Help Center.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
48 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

I also wonder how this applies to temporary / mega labs 

We will be providing exceptions to allow Mega/Giga-Events to place physical objects or containers, provided that their Adventure remains active for fewer than 3 weeks. This has been added to the email that is sent to Mega-Event hosts when they receive their Adventure Lab credits.

• Helpful 2

@Frau Potter Does this new prohibition of physical placements apply to ALs that have had the physical locations reviewed and approved but have not yet been released to the public?  I know two people in this position who would have to revamp their ALs if that does apply to them.

Is this email supposed to have gone out to all awardees already?  I haven't received it.

• Upvote 1

Can a HQ lackey please clarify the following:

When I got my Lab Adventure award before Christmas, the notification I received said it had to go public before 1 March 2020.  I have been working on it but, as happens, life has got in the way to the point where I will struggle to have it finished by then.  Can I assume that today's advice (that "if your Adventure is not yet live, you have until May 1, 2020 to make it public") extends the deadline that had been imposed on my award.

TIA

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Opa Shrek said:

When I got my Lab Adventure award before Christmas, the notification I received said it had to go public before 1 March 2020.  I have been working on it but, as happens, life has got in the way to the point where I will struggle to have it finished by then.  Can I assume that today's advice (that "if your Adventure is not yet live, you have until May 1, 2020 to make it public") extends the deadline that had been imposed on my award.

TIA

I was awarded mine end of January and it said (Your Adventure must be set to Public before May 1, 2020,)  No extension for me but I'm almost finished,

7 hours ago, Opa Shrek said:

I don't see any other way of reading it.  I have mine almost ready to go, but could probably do with a little of the extra time to make sure my 'bonus' cache isn't rushed.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Opa Shrek said:

TIA

That is correct. Anyone who currently has a credit has until May 1 to make it public, regardless of what the original email said. 

• Helpful 1
10 hours ago, icezebra11 said:

@Frau Potter Does this new prohibition of physical placements apply to ALs that have had the physical locations reviewed and approved but have not yet been released to the public?  I know two people in this position who would have to revamp their ALs if that does apply to them.

Is this email supposed to have gone out to all awardees already?  I haven't received it.

If an Adventure creator received approval for physical stages before February 10 and is ready to go live, they can write to us through the Help Center link in the email and we can consider the situation on a case-by-case situation. 

Emails should have gone to everyone. But there is a copy of it above that you can use if it never arrived: https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/355210-new-guidelines/&do=findComment&comment=5817362

Thank you for the clarifications Frau Potter.

I don't take issue with the changes per se, but in my opinion this is a poor way to implement them.  It's obvious GS is not done awarding ALs so, it seems to me, those that already have been awarded their ALs should be able to stick with the guidelines they were given, and GS should implement the new guidelines with new AL awards going forward.

On 2/10/2020 at 4:05 PM, dadoskawina said:

What is a reason for introducing this change? As far as I can understand geofencing requirement, this one is completely surprising to me. The only advantage of lab caches over virtuals has gone...

Will this apply also for labs created for mega events?

Does this also mean the name will be changing?  The word lab, back in the day, meant you were going to have some hands on work to do in the chem lab, path lab or computer lab.  Now with this new restriction, basically all you can do is take the player to a location and let them read about it.   OR... did I misunderstand the new rules?

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, KNKINCABOT said:

Does this also mean the name will be changing?  The word lab, back in the day, meant you were going to have some hands on work to do in the chem lab, path lab or computer lab.  Now with this new restriction, basically all you can do is take the player to a location and let them read about it.   OR... did I misunderstand the new rules?

It seem to be a backdoor way of allowing Virtual Caches again. I know a few people that were trying to come up with something different and all plans are on hold now.

• Upvote 2