Wrong Publish Date on Caches with updated Coordinates

Ruko2010

How do you know that the cache owner did not edit the field themselves?  (There is no functionality that updates hidden date automatically if the coordinates changed.)

The cache description contains a new sentence saying "the cache was hidden again in January 2020" (pardon my German translation if it's wrong).  And, the cache name was edited to include the word "Reloaded."  So, I think this may be a cache owner edit.

Edited by Keystone
To say "hidden date" rather than "published date."
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for this fast reply. I wasn't aware that a cache owner could change the "cache-hidden" field after a cache was published, but I tried it with my own cache and yes, it is possible.

So I think this is no bug, but a feature and the owner did it himself.

I was confused because the cache showed up in a PQ which should contain only caches hidden in 2020, but the first publish for this cache was 2013. I thought the publish date will be used for PQs and not the date a cacheowner could set and change himself.

You may wish to write a friendly note to the cache owner, asking them to consider changing the hidden date back.  Among other things, editing the hidden date years later can mess up someone's statistics for challenge caches they are working on.  If the "reboot" was a significantly different cache, then the old cache page could be archived and a new one could be submitted with a January 2020 hidden date.

It's important, however, to retain the ability to edit the hidden date.  Many cache owners like to edit the hidden date post-publication to match the publication date.  They would be sad if that ability was taken away.

• Helpful 1

In this particular case, if it's as it seems and the cache was not found in 7 sears since it was published, let alone ANY other activity other than the CO's "reload", I don't think the stats will be much of an issue. I could see the argument for updating the hidden date if it's a new cache container (though at 57m away, it seems like the CO just thought they'd use the old listing for a new cache rather than make a new listing).  The only inconsistency here is that the publish date (static) is 7 years prior to hidden date. A minor annoyance :P

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

In this particular case, if it's as it seems and the cache was not found in 7 sears since it was published, let alone ANY other activity other than the CO's "reload", I don't think the stats will be much of an issue.

The publish log and coord update log, above, are two separate images.  There are 131 find logs in between.  Still not much of an issue though. :-)