DNF Filter on PQ's

Conejos

Is there a way to filter out DNF's on PQ's?  I use GSAK and can filter them out from there, however, I want to receive my PQ's from Geocache.com with a DNF filter.  This way I can download my file to an SD card without all the DNF's which waste my time while Geocaching.

45 minutes ago, Conejos said:

Is there a way to filter out DNF's on PQ's?  I use GSAK and can filter them out from there, however, I want to receive my PQ's from Geocache.com with a DNF filter.  This way I can download my file to an SD card without all the DNF's which waste my time while Geocaching.

Do you mean caches that you didn't find and to which you shall never return?  Those may be candidates for "Ignore", a setting for individual caches which maybe GSAK can do for you.  All PQs would be devoid of Ignored caches.

Or do you mean previously easy caches that have developed an unbroken string of "DNFs", and perhaps then the whole cache is gone?  GSAK may help identify those.  But for each PQ, you might select the additional filter "Found in the last 7 days".  That could weed out most of them.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks for the response.  Meaning caches that have a string of say 3 or more DNF's.  GSAK identifies them and can download to my GPS's (Oregon 650T/Nuvi) with the DNF's filtered out.  What I want to do is download the PQs from Geocaching.com in the gpx form, with the DNF's already filtered out.  We travel quite a bit (30+ states/34 countries) and by putting the gpx file on an SD card I can get a heck of a lot of PQ's on an SD card.  By using GSAK I am limited to how many PQ's I can get onto my two GPS's, since i can only download from GSAK to a GPS not the SD car. The way I cache quite a bit, is to use my NUVI on the dash to get close to a cache, then grab my 650T after parking.

Have I completely confused you yet???? :)

23 minutes ago, Conejos said:

Thanks for the response.  Meaning caches that have a string of say 3 or more DNF's.  GSAK identifies them and can download to my GPS's (Oregon 650T/Nuvi) with the DNF's filtered out.  What I want to do is download the PQs from Geocaching.com in the gpx form, with the DNF's already filtered out.  We travel quite a bit (30+ states/34 countries) and by putting the gpx file on an SD card I can get a heck of a lot of PQ's on an SD card.  By using GSAK I am limited to how many PQ's I can get onto my two GPS's, since i can only download from GSAK to a GPS not the SD car. The way I cache quite a bit, is to use my NUVI on the dash to get close to a cache, then grab my 650T after parking.

Have I completely confused you yet???? :)

You can place GPX cache files (such as unzipped GPX PQs of many caches) into the "Garmin/GPX" folder of a Garmin Oregon on either internal or external (SD card), or both.  There are memory space limits, but otherwise the max cache limit is the same regardless.  Do you mean you have extra stored Pocket Queries full of GPX files that you remove or place in the "Garmin/GPX" folder due to a massive number of caches?

I'm not gonna touch the Nuvi :), although you probably can place the same files without issue (on a case-by-case basis, with so many Nuvi possibilities!). My plan is to keep those files as light as possible, basically guiding me to parking locations where I then go hunt a lot of caches.  I don't even do that too much anymore, unless I'm out of mobile phone data range.  I use Waze and save my poor Nuvi from being loaded up with stuff it can barely even display.

Edited by kunarion

Cache without a phone here.  Especially in foreign countries.  Many caches in my area are not logged for months due to weather restrictions, etc.  So last 7 day find filter wouldn't work to good, I think.  HHL said there is a way to download from GSAK to an SD card.  I have never been able to find that route.  This option would be what I am looking for.  When we take off for a 3 week East Coast trip in April, then a 4 week European trip in June, I would like to have all my PQ's downloaded to an SD card.  I use a European map in both GPSrs, this way I do not have limitations of content.  In driving in Europe it is nice to view my NUVI and see the available caches on it.  Then if I decided to nab one I can pull over, fire up my 650T and go caching.

29 minutes ago, Conejos said:

HHL said there is a way to download from GSAK to an SD card.  I have never been able to find that route.  This option would be what I am looking for.

Maybe it's something like this.  There will be some variation, but this is just an example.  The whole trick is picking the right drive and folder.

I noticed two new Drives appeared when I connected my Garmin to my PC.  One is "Garmin Oregon 750t (J:)" which is the internal memory.  The other is "0101155100 (K:)", which I guessed is the SD card (in this case, a Garmin Maps card with some extra space for files).  You might be able to rename an SD Card to something more recognizable.  My card shows "eula" and "garmin" folders and the card size is correct, so that's looking right.  I create a "GPX" folder inside "garmin", and that's where the GPX files go.

I chose my caches (just one for the example), then "File/Export GPX".  In the window that pops up, "File Name To Create", I clicked the yellow folder icon next to the folder selection line.  The file explorer window pops up, so I can choose the specific folder.  I want the SD Card. I select  "0101155100 (K:)", and next drill down to my new "GPX" folder, and the files will be exported there instead of into the internal memory.

I can also move any GPX file such as a Pocket Query into that GPX folder using Windows File Manager.

Untitled-3-copy-2.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Conejos said:

By using GSAK I am limited to how many PQ's I can get onto my two GPS's

Wrong too. You are not limited by exporting GGZ files to your Garmin 650. And you are not limited by exporting Pois to your Nuvi.

That said: You'll be able to export your entire database for your Europe trip to your units in one go.

Hans

Edited by HHL