Geocaching TB Spoiler page on Facebook

Deepdiggingmole

2 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Can challenge caches care about TB discoveries? If not what's the point?

Next cacher I hear brag about their TB discovery count will be the first. 

We've seen a bunch now with more trackables logged than their find count, but we never hear anyone speak of it.   :)

There's a few trackable "challenge" caches,  maybe it'd be interesting to see if they're remote logged as well.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, tom1996 said:

What do you think Groundspeak can do against that?

The Facebook user is posting letters and numbers, no names of travel bugs, no pictures, nothing Groundspeak could claim the intellectual property for.

Those "letters and numbers" are codes for property that belongs to the site's members.  Most it seems still in their possession at home.

Aren't the trackable Owners allowed the benefit of their own work or investment in the creation of their coins ?   

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, tom1996 said:

The Facebook user is posting letters and numbers, no names of travel bugs, no pictures, nothing Groundspeak could claim the intellectual property for.

Ruining the game is no copyright infringement.

I purchased the "letter and number" combinations you speak of for my own use. Feel free to post the letters and numbers of your home address in correct combination on the face thing if you want to discuss this further.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, tom1996 said:

Ruining the game is no copyright infringement.

No argument here - and a difficult one to answer - I would have thought a code is no different to a name - its all letters and numbers, I have TBs with letters and numbers in its name - so what is the difference ?
Groundspeak sell the codes - we make the TBs - so surely the code is the important aspect of this - however, I don't know enough about intellectual property and the law behind it to have a sensible argument for and against
My OP was mainly with regard to highlighting that beyond what has occurred with the TB codes this site is now publishing answers for non-virtual Adventure Labs and linking it with a site that tells you how to access these from anywhere in the world using spoof GPS program 
HQ have already answered the difficulties they have with regard to the TBs issue - I was asking whether this new development can give them any additional leverage to deal with the site 

Edited by Deepdiggingmole
1 hour ago, fizzymagic said:

I'm confused. As with wherigos, I just assumed that Adventure Labs completion codes are unique to the user. If they are not, then it's a design issue.

They are - however this site is obtaining (somehow) the completion codes (answers) and listing these on the site - but in addition they have added a link to a site that enables anyone to complete these from anywhere in the world - so like the virtual ad labs they are encouraging people to log non-virtual ad labs tours from the comfort of your armchair !!!

What is needed is an easy to use link on a TB discovery email notification.... 'If you believe this discovery is fraudulent - click here'. This gives the discoverer a black mark, set a minimum number of black marks as a threshold for accidents etc, then start some punitive action against the cheats.

• Upvote 4
14 minutes ago, lee737 said:

What is needed is an easy to use link on a TB discovery email notification.... 'If you believe this discovery is fraudulent - click here'. This gives the discoverer a black mark, set a minimum number of black marks as a threshold for accidents etc, then start some punitive action against the cheats.

I have reported 2 cachers so far for logging my TBs - I do research these prior to taking action and with both it was evident (it is easy to ascertain) that each had logged a whole bunch of TBs in a very short space of time - I then reported them, both have had mass deletions by HQ - I do feel however that just deleting their logs is not enough 

However as per OP - now this site has moved onto Adventure Labs I feel HQ should try and act more in dealing with the facebook group

• Upvote 3

I'm firmly against this group's activity, ... buut... I'm kind of surprised it took this long, given the entirely virtual nature of adventure labs. "Took long enough" seems harsh = P That said, this group needs to be shut down. Somehow. Or HQ needs to find some way to change the mechanic to thwart virtual logging. Or this aspect to the game will also fall to the wayside, just like Geocaching Challenges.

I tell ya, Geocaching is best exemplified in the standard geocache listing mechanic. Location-based gaming is a whole other beast that entire companies are built around to thwart spoofing and cheating, on an hourly and daily basis. I don't think HQ has the infrastructure for that, and should really continue to focus on what they do best.

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, lee737 said:

The reporting process is actually a fairly convoluted process, what is needed is a simple 'report' button. Maybe a human need not even look at it until several reports coalesce on one cacher....

I have never found the reporting process an issue - yes, it would be easier with a report button - however what you often find with those simpler processes is no option to explain. I like to outline my complaint and not just leave it to a tickbox affair
I also think there is a likelihood of a misuse of the 'report' button if it becomes that simple

Do you think the TB issue is changed much with the recent profile stats change? TB's are no longer reported now when you view someone's profile, having been replaced by favorite points. Seems like a lot of these folks will lose interest rapidly in "farming" these TB discoveries, or whatever you wanna call it, now that their Really Big TB Number won't be displayed readily on their profile page?

• Upvote 1
On 2/10/2020 at 10:00 AM, tom1996 said:

It's easier to kick the butts of people USING the data by in-game action than hitting the publisher of the data by legal action..

It might well be - but that relies on those whose TBs/coins are being spuriously logged actually reporting those cachers - I have done it
It would be interesting to see how many messages HQ have recieved for just this issue alone - They can't do anything if cachers are not reporting them