Geofencing Question

Rellevartns

A question on completing an Adventure Lab using a device that is WiFi and GPS capable only (i.e. has no data plan).

If a geofence is set up for a location in the Adventure Lab can the user with such a device still SEE the question if they are within the geofence, even if they are not within WiFi range?

In other words, if they "load" the Adventure while within WiFi range but then travel outside of WiFi range are they still able to open that location and SEE the question.

I realize they need to be within WiFi range to ANSWER the question, so I'm just asking about being able to SEE the question.

They then of course can travel to within WiFi range (within the geofence) to ANSWER the question.

Thanks in advance for replies.

The question cannot be seen unless the player has connectivity while within the geofence distance.  More importantly, the question cannot be answered unless the player has connectivity while within the geofence distance.

Edited by elyob
On 2/8/2020 at 11:37 AM, elyob said:

The question cannot be seen unless the player has connectivity while within the geofence distance.  More importantly, the question cannot be answered unless the player has connectivity while within the geofence distance.

My experience differs - The first part is true when first attempting an Adventure Lab. We did one locally, with 5 locations about town.  We couldn't see the questions until we got to the proper location.  Unfortunately, we had difficulty with 2 of the 5 questions.  We were able to answer 3 correctly, but could not complete the lab that day.  We emailed the CO, and between he, and another cacher, figured out the issue (an apostrophe in two of the answers had to be removed).  This took a few days of back and forth... (See thread below)

When we got the OK, I pulled up the Adventure Lab on my app AT HOME (15 miles from the actual location) and I could see the questions, I typed in my answers, and got the completion.  It seems once you do visit the location and the question is revealed, it's cached or saved (I hadn't logged out of the app in between).  I didn't have to go back to the location to complete the lab, and neither did hubby.

I was surprised; I fully expected we'd have to go back and re-visit the last two locations before being granted the completion.  As it was, we had the first 3 finds added to our find counts the day we visited the site, and then a week later we got the last 2 finds added while we were sitting at home.  

I'm still not sure how I feel about the Adventure Labs; I'm not about the numbers, and it somehow feels ... not right ... to get 5 finds added for 1 Adventure.  I've done 4 (so I have 20 Lab caches on my profile and that seems misleading), and I don't think I'll seek them out to do.  I much prefer the hunt, and finding a container and signing a log for one smilie!  If there's one where we happen to be, we'll probably do it as we also do some real caching in that area!  That's all info for an other topic, though.  My main point was that we didn't have to go back to the location to enter the answers for the last two questions, and we got the completion and last 2 "finds" from home.

• Helpful 1