Geocaching App No Maps?

BigOpe

Just recently the geocaching app on my Samsung Galaxy ON5 phone started acting up.  When I sign in I get a map of my immediate area, showing nearby caches, and when I select a cache I get the initial cache details as usual.  But when I hit "Start" I get a blank map screen.  Same no matter which map type I select.  Restarting or shutdown/restart no help, app uninstall and reinstall no help.  Any ideas?

On 2/10/2020 at 9:05 AM, BigOpe said:

Mine had "Navigate" until a few days ago, now "Start."  I figured it came from some automatic update.  Uninstalled the app and then reinstalled it to double check, but same thing, still a "Start" button.   ?????

What version is your app?  I'm on 8.13.1, still says "Navigate", and I'm not seeing any updates available.  Are you using the official Geocaching.com app?

On 2/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, CAVinoGal said:
On 2/10/2020 at 9:05 AM, BigOpe said:

Mine had "Navigate" until a few days ago, now "Start."  I figured it came from some automatic update.  Uninstalled the app and then reinstalled it to double check, but same thing, still a "Start" button.   ?????

What version is your app?  I'm on 8.13.1, still says "Navigate", and I'm not seeing any updates available.  Are you using the official Geocaching.com app?

This is interesting - @BigOpe - did you recently reset your cache/data in the app?  Is that when the button changed from "Navigate" to "Start"? 

I reset mine two days ago to try and resolve another issue ("New" souvenir notification won't go away).  It didn't work, and yesterday when we went to find a couple caches, my app had "Start".  It also kept giving me helpful tips and suggestions that I had to tap away before I could proceed, as if I was a brand new to geocaching.  It seems each time I go to a new screen (new since the reset, that is) I get a hint, tip, or suggestion!  Hubby's phone, same  as mine, same app version, didn't do that.

My app version hasn't changed, but I still have the "Start" button instead of "Navigate" - we found 2 caches and logged them yesterday - as a draft on the phone, then as full logs on the computer last night.  They show as smilies on the app today.  I wonder if after so many finds I'll get the "Navigate" button back?  Or if I have to submit the log from the phone to clear that?  I'll just keep caching (we have an event and caches to find on Saturday) and see what happens.

ETA: Just realized this wasn't really the OP's issue at all.  Sorry to sidetrack the thread but it was odd that it happened and this was fresh in my mind.  As far as the maps, that's all working as expected; I use Trail view and Satellite view both and have had no issues with the maps.

Edited by CAVinoGal
OOOPS!
On 2/14/2020 at 1:55 PM, Roxbury Devil said:

Having this issue with the laptop. I click on the map on any particular cache page. The website redirects me but then I do not see a map. Id there a computer setting that's getting in the way?

There seem to be more than one entirely unrelated discussions in this Thread.  If I'm using the old Internet Explorer 11 web browser on a PC, the map page is typically blank.  You may need to switch to another browser.  There's a new version of Edge, the default browser for Windows, that seems OK.  I'm trying "Brave", a FirefFox port that is super serious about privacy and blocking badness (where I have to manually "drop the shields" for various web sites, it is just that good at blocking :P).

Anyway, this Topic is specifically about the Android App, not a web browser or web site.

26 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I reset mine two days ago to try and resolve another issue ("New" souvenir notification won't go away).  It didn't work, and yesterday when we went to find a couple caches, my app had "Start".  It also kept giving me helpful tips and suggestions that I had to tap away before I could proceed, as if I was a brand new to geocaching.  It seems each time I go to a new screen (new since the reset, that is) I get a hint, tip, or suggestion!  Hubby's phone, same  as mine, same app version, didn't do that.

Depending on what I'm doing with The App, I get either "Navigate" or "Start".  The Geocaching Map shows "Navigate", and if I instead tap the "Car Icon" to select street routing, the App switches to Google Maps which has a Start button.  Is that the Op's "Start" button?

Screenshot_20200220-121149-20200220-121203165.jpg             Screenshot_20200220-121423-20200220-121433858.jpg

Edited by kunarion
17 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Depending on what I'm doing with The App, I get either "Navigate" or "Start".  The Geocaching Map shows "Navigate", and if I instead tap the "Car Icon" to select street routing, the App switches to Google Maps which has a Start button.  Is that the Op's "Start" button?

That was my first thought when I read the OP.

2 hours ago, kunarion said:

No, I see Start instead of Navigate on the app screen shown below (though up until I cleared cache and data, i was a Navigate button):

Screenshot_20200220-115925.thumb.png.640ce4bbdeb71add6c4612cee3be5b96.png

Edited by CAVinoGal

Thanks for all the replies so far.  No, I haven't changed anything on my phone lately other than uninstalling and reinstalling the Geocaching app after all this started, and my problem has nothing to do with my PC, only my Samsung On5 phone running Android and the Geocaching app.  Will continue experimenting and check back here occasionally for any helpful thoughts.  My Android version, BTW, is 6.0.1.

HEY!!!  Just re-checked my phone, and the button still says "Start," but THE MAPS ARE BACK.  Yay.

Edited by BigOpe
2 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I see Start instead of Navigate on the app screen shown below (though up until I cleared cache and data, i was a Navigate button)

What steps did you take?  I tried just now to delete all of my offline downloaded Lists, no difference.  But this is an iPhone 8.  If that’s the process, I can try it on my Droid.  So far, both phones still have the Navigate button.  Looks like least one seems to have the perpetual “New Souvenir” notice, too.

2 hours ago, BigOpe said:

HEY!!!  Just re-checked my phone, and the button still says "Start," but THE MAPS ARE BACK.  Yay.

Yay!!  Glad to hear that issue is resolved.  At the risk of veering off topic (but it WAS mentioned along the way and has become an issue of sorts!):

43 minutes ago, kunarion said:

What steps did you take?  I tried just now to delete all of my offline downloaded Lists, no difference.  But this is an iPhone 8.  If that’s the process, I can try it on my Droid.  So far, both phones still have the Navigate button.  Looks like least one seems to have the perpetual “New Souvenir” notice, too.

On my Pixel, I went to Phone Settings>>Apps>>Geocaching>>Storage>>User Data and Cache.  I cleared both the cache and user data (and got a warning that it would erase all user stored data, kinda scary but I did it anyway).  If your Droid is the one showing the New Souvenir notification, this didn't work.

The New Souvenir notification DID go away, but only temporarily.  My drafts disappeared from the phone, but came back after a bit; they didn't go away from the website.  All seemed OK till we went caching yesterday, and I had a Start button insterad of a Navigate button.  No biggie, it still works the same.  But the popups (hints, tips, etc) are annoying.  I don't remember getting those even when I started geocaching!

51 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Yay!!  Glad to hear that issue is resolved.  At the risk of veering off topic (but it WAS mentioned along the way and has become an issue of sorts!):

On my Pixel, I went to Phone Settings>>Apps>>Geocaching>>Storage>>User Data and Cache.  I cleared both the cache and user data (and got a warning that it would erase all user stored data, kinda scary but I did it anyway).  If your Droid is the one showing the New Souvenir notification, this didn't work.

The New Souvenir notification DID go away, but only temporarily.  My drafts disappeared from the phone, but came back after a bit; they didn't go away from the website.  All seemed OK till we went caching yesterday, and I had a Start button insterad of a Navigate button.  No biggie, it still works the same.  But the popups (hints, tips, etc) are annoying.  I don't remember getting those even when I started geocaching!

I’ll give that a shot.  On iPhone, I deleted and reinstalled the App, no change.  Gonna be weird to have differently labeled buttons for the same function, once I “fix” the Android App.  And explaining to new people how to find a cache?  Now it’s more complicated.  Cool.