Garmin died! Best GPS app?

diggerpol

17 minutes ago, diggerpol said:

I've had an old Garmin for a long time,  but it's never been the most user friendly! 

It's died! 

I used to use an app on my phone ... new phone ... lost all apps 

I need to replace a cache tomorrow and mark/ check waypoint! ... any recommendations for an app?

Thanks x

Spyglass is available for both Android and iOS.  It's what I use sometimes when I want to mark a spot without getting a full-blown Geocaching App involved.  The free demo may be all you need, if you're OK with writing down coordinates.

And the compass screen in the Official Geocaching App shows your location in realtime while you're navigating to any cache.  And you can save a waypoint while you're navigating to any cache.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

It may not be the same everywhere but at least here I can order a new GPS before midnight and have it delivered for free by tomorrow which most of the time means by 10-10:30 in the morning.

As for an app, I guess any app that can show coordinates will do. Plenty of them in any app/playstore.

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

Spyglass is available for both Android and iOS.  It's what I use sometimes when I want to mark a spot without getting a full-blown Geocaching App involved.  The free demo may be all you need, if you're OK with writing down coordinates.

And the compass screen in the Official Geocaching App shows your location in realtime while you're navigating to any cache.  And you can save a waypoint while you're navigating to any cache.

Thanks ... for some reason I totally forgot about the geocaching app! Duh! 

I have an android phone ( totally uninterested in tech , hence the request for help! ) and I'm too rural for next day delivery! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, diggerpol said:

Thanks ... for some reason I totally forgot about the geocaching app! Duh! 

I have an android phone ( totally uninterested in tech , hence the request for help! ) and I'm too rural for next day delivery! 

I really like the official and free geocaching app on my android! And if I can figure it out, anyone can!

• Love 1

Android...

For simple averaging of a waypoint:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jcl.GPSAverage

For a full-featured caching- and map app, that (I think) even has built-in GPS averaging, and everything else you might expect, basically a complete Garmin replacement:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus.pro

(There's a free version too, less features.)

• Helpful 1
18 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I really like the official and free geocaching app on my android! And if I can figure it out, anyone can!

I used it today. I always used to use it,  then got used to using the garmin and not taking my phone around with me. 

Although I may have been a bit dense as I could use it to navigate to a cache,  I couldn't work out how to use it to mark a random way point! ( ie ... I've replaced a cache and needed to update coordinates a few metres away! ) but I used GPS essentials for that. 

16 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Android...

For simple averaging of a waypoint:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jcl.GPSAverage

For a full-featured caching- and map app, that (I think) even has built-in GPS averaging, and everything else you might expect, basically a complete Garmin replacement:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=menion.android.locus.pro

(There's a free version too, less features.)

Thanks,  that app looks very interesting x

1 hour ago, diggerpol said:

I used it today. I always used to use it,  then got used to using the garmin and not taking my phone around with me. 

Although I may have been a bit dense as I could use it to navigate to a cache,  I couldn't work out how to use it to mark a random way point! ( ie ... I've replaced a cache and needed to update coordinates a few metres away! ) but I used GPS essentials for that. 

You can use the compass icon to see the coords you're at and take a screenshot. Or scroll down to Waypoints on any cache listing and save one there for your own personal use. 

Help Center: App

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1
On 2/7/2020 at 1:02 PM, Touchstone said:

I'm happy with the official app.  It does an adequate job for the way I cache.

I have used other apps in the past, but after the Groundspeak app became free and got some updates I downloaded it. I've been using it more and more for on-the-fly caching or when I need to check for the latest activity in the field. I'm pretty happy with it.

For pre-planned caching I still use a decade-old unsupported Droid app called GeoHunter. It only shows caches from my GPX files and uses Google Maps so for my purposes it's actually really useful to get to the right trailhead. Then I turn on my Garmin Etrex to get from the trailhead to the caches. (There's probably some way in the Groundspeak app or some other modern app to have this same functionality but I don't know how.)

Edited by JL_HSTRE
27 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

For pre-planned caching I still use a decade-old unsupported Droid app called GeoHunter.

I used to use GeoHunter and GeoBeagle. (One is a fork of the other.) They worked very well using PQ data, and intercepting Google Maps URLs when I followed the "Google Maps" links on cache pages. (That last trick earned an undeserved "cease and desist" letter from Groundspeak, who thought the app was scraping their web site.)

IIRC, I switched to NeonGeo (one of the early API-based apps for Android, until features of NeonGeo stopped working when it wasn't being updated to track API changes. Then I switched to CacheSense, which suffered the same fate. I've been getting by with Groundspeak's app, but I'll have to find a better one if I start geocaching a lot again.

• Helpful 1