Longest time before TB resurfaced?

Enjayen

What's the longest time you've seen between a TB going missing, and resurfacing eventually? (Held hostage, taken and not logged, left in archived cache, etc.)

On the same topic, what might be a few good tips for TB longevity?

Back in April of last year, I had a TB go missing. Still holding out hope that one day it will resurface. ?

Edited by Enjayen

Do a search (top right on all forum pages) for "longevity", and there's different opinions.  :)

We found mediocre things attached to Travel Bugs will last many times longer than any coin.

If we had used washers and other cheap stuff, they would have lasted much longer than a mini working fishing reel, and a custom mini V twin motor.

We've seen members holding other's property hostage "Visiting" other's trackables for years, and unless you see photos once-in-a-while, you don't know that the person really still has it.   It could have gone missing by the second cache they "visited".

I definitely wouldn't make statements about other cachers on your trackable's page after it became missing though.

Edited by cerberus1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
On 2/7/2020 at 12:02 PM, cerberus1 said:

Do a search (top right on all forum pages) for "longevity", and there's different opinions.  :)

Thanks, I read Snoogan's thread and it helped a lot. The TB was a fidget spinner, no doubt stolen for that reason. Thankfully it was my first TB, and I learned my lesson early on ?

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=141791&page=1

This TB was last placed (supposedly) in a cache, but no-one mentions seeing it there, while other TBs are mentioned. It was placed in a cache in New York, USA in 2005 and I retrieved it from a cache in Canberra, Australia this year 2020.

So between a TB going missing, and resurfacing eventually, 15 years.

• Surprised 1
1 minute ago, Goldenwattle said:

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=141791&page=1

This TB was last placed (supposedly) in a cache, but no-one mentions seeing it there, while other TBs are mentioned. It was placed in a cache in New York, USA in 2005 and I retrieved it from a cache in Canberra, Australia this year 2020.

That's really cool! I wonder who would move it such a far distance and not say anything? ?

11 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I have examined the tag on the original photograph and it's different. That appears to be a tag for a jeep. The tag I have with this TB does have 'The Salvation Army' on it, so that matches, even though the bell is now a ball. Stranger and stranger...

Did the TBO maybe replace the TB, thinking it was lost for good?

On 2/8/2020 at 7:34 PM, Goldenwattle said:

I can't beat that, but on a recent trip to the East Coast (US) to visit family, I picked up TB5YX7J that had recently resurfaced after 5 years.  It appears to be the original travel bug!  I added a USA plastic thingee, and I took it to a couple of states, took some photos, and left it in a very nice, frequently visited, frequent TB exchange, hotel in Vermont. I hope it's journeys continue!

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 1
On 6/17/2020 at 6:14 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I can't beat that, but on a recent trip to the East Coast (US) to visit family, I picked up TB5YX7J that had recently resurfaced after 5 years.  It appears to be the original travel bug!  I added a USA plastic thingee, and I took it to a couple of states, took some photos, and left it in a very nice, frequently visited, frequent TB exchange, hotel in Vermont. I hope it's journeys continue!

I'm genuinely curious as to how nobody took it in 10 years of sitting there. Amazing journey to see regardless.

Out of my own trackables:  I had a geocoin picked up Jan 2011 in the Netherlands.   The same cacher dropped it into a cache in Colorado, USA in Aug 2019. So, after a 8 1/2 year break,  it's now back out there.   It bounced around several states and was last reported 2 weeks ago in Finland

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, NanCycle said:

I had this trackable on my watch list because I moved it back in 2011:

image.png.26b0bff0f962e3ff99fb890e65b940a1.png

It appears to me they don't ride very often, as otherwise, how could they not find that in their bike bag for eight years. Plus, as an almost daily rider in the past, bike bags don't tend to last eight years if used regularly to carry things to work, shopping in, etc.

15 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

It appears to me they don't ride very often, as otherwise, how could they not find that in their bike bag for eight years. Plus, as an almost daily rider in the past, bike bags don't tend to last eight years if used regularly to carry things to work, shopping in, etc.

Lol.  Maybe they haven't ridden in 8 years,  or maybe they're finally getting a new bag. Don't cache a lot either. 

btw, all my bike bags are way older than 8 yrs, but then I don't ride that much anymore.

Edited by NanCycle

I just picked up a TB (Froschprinz  if anybody is curious) which someone picked up at the start of 2016, and then dropped it in another cache in February this year. Four years and two weeks or so that person had it. The owner said in their goal for the TB they wanted it to do a tour and to hopefully return home … by 2017. I've sent them a message asking if they'd like it posted back to them, or if they prefer it to keep travelling.