May 2, 2020 Madness!

thebruce0

Who here is planning to attend the Mingo Madness mega in May in Kansas to wish Mingo a happy birthday?

Anyone going on a road trip to get there?

(Or is HQ2020 and/or Geowoodstock taking precedence? :))

(PS: Please don't turn this into a Mingo-bashing thread, heh - celebrate community!)

28 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Who here is planning to attend the Mingo Madness mega in May in Kansas to wish Mingo a happy birthday?

(PS: Please don't turn this into a Mingo-bashing thread, heh - celebrate community!)

Can I go oh for three?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I've been to Mingo twice - once when GeoWoodstock was in Denver, and again when I drove from Pittsburgh to Denver because my daughter moved there.  So, with everything else going on in 2020, it's hard to make the argument for a third visit to northwest Kansas.  My priorities are Seattle, GeoWoodstock in Vancouver, and Midwest GeoBash.

That said, for anyone who hasn't scored a find on the world's oldest surviving cache, I encourage you to check out this event.  The planning and add-ons look really good.  The GPS Adventures Maze will be there!  (But I'll be scoring another Maze find at Midwest GeoBash.)

If you do go to Mingo, do not miss a drive north to Arikaree.  Like so many of us, the hider of the world's oldest surviving geocache did a far better job with his second cache placement.  Arikaree is in an interesting location with a unique natural landscape (loess hills).  And, as you travel in and to the area, make a point of finding as many caches hidden by ottieolsen as possible.  Stopping off to find a cache from this truly talented hider unexpectedly turned a monotonous drive across the prairie into an enjoyable potpourri of highly-favorited gadget caches and amusing placements.

• Upvote 2

I've been to Mingo once, so revisiting isn't so much for the cache as it is for the event; but it does take a higher priority reason to make another trip out to the middle of nowhere, especially a 3rd time, haha.

Thanks for the tip about ottieolsen. Arikaree is on my trip itinerary as well. There is SO much going on around May 2 this year, and lots to do being planned around Colby.

See you at MWGB @The Leprechauns!

Curse you, thebruce0 for bringing this up!  Now you've put me in a quandary.  Let's see, 2.5+ days to drive out there with the trailer, the day of the event, then 2.5+ days home, does that give us time to get packed for our Israel trip on the ninth.  And the wife has to give some care to her mom, so does she drive with me or fly into Denver Airport and I pick her up on the way and ship her home on the way back...  Dang, dang, dang ... what to do, what to do...

• Funny 1
3 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

I've been to Mingo twice - once when GeoWoodstock was in Denver, and again when I drove from Pittsburgh to Denver because my daughter moved there.  So, with everything else going on in 2020, it's hard to make the argument for a third visit to northwest Kansas.  My priorities are Seattle, GeoWoodstock in Vancouver, and Midwest GeoBash.

That said, for anyone who hasn't scored a find on the world's oldest surviving cache, I encourage you to check out this event.  The planning and add-ons look really good.  The GPS Adventures Maze will be there!  (But I'll be scoring another Maze find at Midwest GeoBash.)

If you do go to Mingo, do not miss a drive north to Arikaree.  Like so many of us, the hider of the world's oldest surviving geocache did a far better job with his second cache placement.  Arikaree is in an interesting location with a unique natural landscape (loess hills).  And, as you travel in and to the area, make a point of finding as many caches hidden by ottieolsen as possible.  Stopping off to find a cache from this truly talented hider unexpectedly turned a monotonous drive across the prairie into an enjoyable potpourri of highly-favorited gadget caches and amusing placements.

Well Thankyou!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, The Leprechauns said:

^^^ This

Those who stick to I-70 are really missing out on the landscape at Arikaree. And ottieolsen does put out some great caches!

5 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

I didn't really want to go the first time. I have no interest in returning. Thankfully Midwest Geobash will get me 3/4 of my last states and leave me with just one remaining and it has the Adventure Maze. 15 Icon Day!!!

47 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

What to do, and what not to do? That is the question. :lol:

Priorities, people! :anibad:

You can get a high "cache types in one day" here. 

There are the Mega, Maze & Community Celebration in town, plus a LBH. (4 types)

At the high point in the state (about an hour & 40 minutes away) there is a Virtual, EC, Wherigo, and multi.  For the extreme people there is an 7am CITO.  (4 types, 5 for the extreme)

Near Mingo is a Mystery.  (2 types, although the Traditional can be gotten anywhere)

If the Signal Locationless is at the Mega there's one more.

Total:  10, 11 with Signal, 12 with CITO

The nearest Webcams are Colorado Springs CO, Cheyenne WY or outside Topeka KS.