2020 Leap Day Souvenir

K13

f4c4a298-859e-4314-a272-fe8691906b82.jpg

Seriously, though, HQ hasn't released souvenirs ahead of time for a while.  I recall years ago there was an image gallery somewhere of proposed souvenirs, and it even had some art for souvenirs that never actually became souvenirs.  But these days it seems they're either posted to the blog, or we find out the day they go live.

Edited by hzoi
38 minutes ago, hzoi said:

f4c4a298-859e-4314-a272-fe8691906b82.jpg

Seriously, though, HQ hasn't released souvenirs ahead of time for a while.  I recall years ago there was an image gallery somewhere of proposed souvenirs, and it even had some art for souvenirs that never actually became souvenirs.  But these days it seems they're either posted to the blog, or we find out the day they go live.

Found it:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/geocaching_com/albums/72157627767218578/page1

I am not sure that any of the artwork there posted before the souvenir was released was actually used.  The artwork for Ethiopia was quite nice though.  There is also artwork for Scotland, Wales, and England, though because they're not official countries they likely won't get a souvenir.  

• Helpful 1
39 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:
1 hour ago, hzoi said:

I recall years ago there was an image gallery somewhere of proposed souvenirs, and it even had some art for souvenirs that never actually became souvenirs.  

Found it:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/geocaching_com/albums/72157627767218578/page1

I am not sure that any of the artwork there posted before the souvenir was released was actually used.  The artwork for Ethiopia was quite nice though.  There is also artwork for Scotland, Wales, and England, though because they're not official countries they likely won't get a souvenir.

That's the one!  Nicely done.

4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Given the frustration in some of those places over Brexit don't be too sure they will not be official countries one of these days!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 2/7/2020 at 12:27 PM, Michaelcycle said:

Given the frustration in some of those places over Brexit don't be too sure they will not be official countries one of these days!

Scotland actually had a chance a few years ago but the independence referendum failed.    At the time, I wondered what GS would do with all the existing caches in Scotland if the referendum passed.  It took them several years to get the Netherland Antilles split fixed and that only involved a small number of caches.  

3 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Scotland actually had a chance a few years ago but the independence referendum failed.    At the time, I wondered what GS would do with all the existing caches in Scotland if the referendum passed.  It took them several years to get the Netherland Antilles split fixed and that only involved a small number of caches.  

The number of cache hiders and finders in the case of Netherlands Antilles is relatively low, so the outcry of not making the change would have been minimal. In the case of a constituent country splitting from the United Kingdom, there would be a lot more people wanting the change and I expect HQ would plan to make the necessary changes right at the time that the split officially took effect.

46 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

In the case of a constituent country splitting from the United Kingdom, there would be a lot more people wanting the change and I expect HQ would plan to make the necessary changes right at the time that the split officially took effect.

If Northern Ireland can exist in Geocachingland outside of the UK, I wouldn’t be surprised if an independent Scotland could remain in it.

Should the UK disintegrate, my main concern would be having to change my caching name. ?

It is said that you can do an Adventure Lab as well to recieve the souvenir. However, if you're in Europe, and log a LabCache in the morning, the logging date on the website (as can be seen on the calendar) is dated on the previous day. In the overview of LabCaches however, the 'real' logging date is used. So here is my question: which date is used to award the souvenir? The date on the GC-website (which as a results mean that ie in Europe you shouldn't log a LabCache before noon), or the date of the Adventure Lab-website?