To Activate or Circulate Un-Activate?

Seeker_Knight

Just bought a few batches of Trackables recently. I activated the first batch with the idea that I will circulate them. Then I thought how exciting it would be for some young person to find one that they could activate and have listed as their own.
Do you activate all your travel bugs, or do you sometimes put them out there with just the registration number, so they can become part of someone else's inventory?

I know they do this at certain events, and even do it with geocoins at times for long involved events involving many caches for the event. I just wondered if regular members do this from time to time.

Seeker_Knight

9 minutes ago, Seeker_Knight said:

Just bought a few batches of Trackables recently. I activated the first batch with the idea that I will circulate them. Then I thought how exciting it would be for some young person to find one that they could activate and have listed as their own.
Do you activate all your travel bugs, or do you sometimes put them out there with just the registration number, so they can become part of someone else's inventory?

I know they do this at certain events, and even do it with geocoins at times for long involved events involving many caches for the event. I just wondered if regular members do this from time to time.

Seeker_Knight

I do that for my special milestones.  I place a cool themed unactivated tag or Geocoin into some cache, along with information that I hope makes it clear that it isn’t yet activated and why. 

Lately I also keep a personal note of each Tracking Code in case it ever turns up activated.  Such items tend to evaporate from caches unmentioned. 

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
4 hours ago, kunarion said:

Lately I also keep a personal note of each Tracking Code in case it ever turns up activated.  Such items tend to evaporate from caches unmentioned. 

I'm going to start doing this.

5 hours ago, Seeker_Knight said:

I have left many unactivated TBs as swag. 

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Seeker_Knight said:

Just bought a few batches of Trackables recently. I activated the first batch with the idea that I will circulate them.

Then I thought how exciting it would be for some young person to find one that they could activate and have listed as their own.

Most of the other 2/3rds coins are activated and in a collection. Around 300 now.  She still has another 100 or so unactivated only for swaps. 

All the ones sent out for both of us went bye-bye, supposedly "missing", in an "unknown" location...  

I have a little over a hundred now, the amount changes by events and swaps.  All unactivated.

Also have a little over a hundred signature coins, also  unactivated,  that I place in caches either as motivation to get folks to walk a bit, or as a thanks to a CO (who lives close enough to grab it before another finder shows).

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1