What are your goals, if any, and what brings you good feelings when geocaching?

I posted this on another thread but thought it would make a great topic, a feel good topic! 

1. My goal is to make my geocache hides as family oriented as possible and a safe hobby for children to enjoy! 

2. My second goal is, besides encouraging families to bring their children geocaching, to keep the sport/hobby active from generation to generation, to get children outside in the fresh air, hiking, exercising, and enjoy all the wonders of nature! And to keep my caches stocked with fun swag for the kids! 

• Upvote 1

My goals for geocaching in general, not limited to any one year, are:

1. Engage myself and my kids in a real-world outdoors activity, which encourages both physical and mental activity

2. As a CO, create as many different kinds of cache experiences as I can

I'm also asking myself if I use geocaching to explore new sights and places, but it doesn't feel right to me. I think I primarily like to explore new sights and places for its own enjoyment, and if geocaching can fit into that experience as a "side gig" then that's great.

It's nice for me to ponder and formally put down in words what my goals are, thank you.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

My goals for geocaching in general, not limited to any one year, are:

1. Engage myself and my kids in a real-world outdoors activity, which encourages both physical and mental activity

2. As a CO, create as many different kinds of cache experiences as I can

I'm also asking myself if I use geocaching to explore new sights and places, but it doesn't feel right to me. I think I primarily like to explore new sights and places for its own enjoyment, and if geocaching can fit into that experience as a "side gig" then that's great.

It's nice for me to ponder and formally put down in words what my goals are, thank you.

Thank you so much for sharing! 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

My most memorable "good feelings when caching" are days like this one last May, a challenging three-hour hike to a stunning GZ with some caching friends for company...

ProfileBackground.jpg.d7b55fabf21bd47d5fc1d9e7cb61b2f4.jpg

My goal as a CO is to try to come up with hides that will be someone else's memorable good feelings when caching.

Thank you for sharing! An amazing goal! 

• Upvote 1

My goals when I go Geocaching are:

1.) Find a cache, any cache. (LPCs, trails, cemeteries, urban, etc.)

2.) Don't get discouraged when I can't find a cache (there's always a reasonable explanation).

3.) Make the experience enjoyable for the next finder 

What good feelings do I get when I go Geocaching?

1.) The feeling of accomplishment when I find a cache

2.) The feeling of being a part of a global movement/game/experience

3.) The feeling of being a detective/wizard when I interact with a cache

4.) Knowing that I got up and did something today that I enjoy

• Upvote 2

I know that I can't find every hide, even in my own town and surrounds, as caches keep getting published and I can't keep up to them. Basically my goal is to find any cache, but they are nicer if they can be found on a cycle ride (like the two I found today), or walk. I have made it a goal to find some sub sets of caches, such as the SideTracked series. We don't have the numbers in this series that the UK has, but I try to find as many of the local ones as I can, and I have found most of them. I was considering a trip to Singapore at they have many near their rail stations, and that would have been convenient caching, riding their metro. That's on hold now, for obvious reasons at present. But it's a goal for the future, if and when we are ever allowed to travel again overseas and it's safe to do so. I also had a goal to find the Mary MacKillop caches, not because I am religious, but rather that they are a subset of about 150 caches, mainly found throughout Australia, but also a few in other countries. Unlike the SideTracked caches though, there is no html pastes on can do on my home page to show my finds of that series.

Getting out into the fresh air and getting exercise, is the best feeling with geocaching. Also being taken to locations and interesting things, I would never have known about, but for geocaching.

• Upvote 1

For me, what I really understand to make me feel good about geocaching is making a cache create an experience, whether it be a multi, wherein you walk about a neighbourhood, learning this and that about it, or working on a puzzle which makes your mind melt....only to realize it's a bit of a nonchalant breeze into a morgue of less approachable perspectives. Then again, I also love those good ol treks in the woods wherein it's either a nice bushwhack and hill climb/ride to the cache, or just a walk through a field, overgrown with vines and what have you all around. 

I've created about 9 caches which all fit with one of these descriptions more or less...but what it really boils down to for me is creating an engaging experience for geocachers in  the community to have fun. It's taken time to learn how to create caches like these, but it's a good process, and very helpful.

I also just love the sense of achievement when it comes to thinking about where you went just from geocaching...it's interesting methinks.

• Upvote 1

What brings me joy (in addition to many other joys) is discovering things I didn't know existed.  I have found works of art in the middle of the city, parks, interesting monuments, streets and streets of lovely houses, great views. 

My goal is to find caches.  That's pretty simple!  I like all of them!  And I always try to get a few in when I work out of town.

On 6/18/2020 at 2:17 AM, carnyhunks said:

My goals when I go Geocaching are:

1.) Find a cache, any cache. (LPCs, trails, cemeteries, urban, etc.)

2.) Don't get discouraged when I can't find a cache (there's always a reasonable explanation).

3.) Make the experience enjoyable for the next finder 

What good feelings do I get when I go Geocaching?

1.) The feeling of accomplishment when I find a cache

2.) The feeling of being a part of a global movement/game/experience

3.) The feeling of being a detective/wizard when I interact with a cache

4.) Knowing that I got up and did something today that I enjoy

This was great! Thanks for sharing! 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:20 PM, DreamMachine74 said:

For me, what I really understand to make me feel good about geocaching is making a cache create an experience, whether it be a multi, wherein you walk about a neighbourhood, learning this and that about it, or working on a puzzle which makes your mind melt....only to realize it's a bit of a nonchalant breeze into a morgue of less approachable perspectives. Then again, I also love those good ol treks in the woods wherein it's either a nice bushwhack and hill climb/ride to the cache, or just a walk through a field, overgrown with vines and what have you all around. 

I've created about 9 caches which all fit with one of these descriptions more or less...but what it really boils down to for me is creating an engaging experience for geocachers in  the community to have fun. It's taken time to learn how to create caches like these, but it's a good process, and very helpful.

I also just love the sense of achievement when it comes to thinking about where you went just from geocaching...it's interesting methinks.

I too love creating a cache that cachers get a surprise from and love. I'm not as creative though, you sound very creative.   Thanks for sharing! 

• Upvote 1
On 6/19/2020 at 9:42 PM, Ageleni said:

What brings me joy (in addition to many other joys) is discovering things I didn't know existed.  I have found works of art in the middle of the city, parks, interesting monuments, streets and streets of lovely houses, great views. 

My goal is to find caches.  That's pretty simple!  I like all of them!  And I always try to get a few in when I work out of town.

I love this! Some like the simple way of geocaching (that's me too) and some are die-hard geocachers and love difficulty. It's amazing the diversity in the caching community and all the levels available to achieve!  Thank you for sharing!  I really appreciate it.