Issue Adding Caches to Lists

the Dino-mic Duo

I maintain a list of puzzle caches that I have solved but not yet found. I also solve some archived puzzle caches. I noticed recently on two occasions that I was not able to add archived caches to my list (when I type the cache ID, normally a little drop down shows the ID and cache name, but for these none appears) and I can't add them to the list. Any ideas?

45 minutes ago, the Dino-mic Duo said:

I maintain a list of puzzle caches that I have solved but not yet found. I also solve some archived puzzle caches. I noticed recently on two occasions that I was not able to add archived caches to my list (when I type the cache ID, normally a little drop down shows the ID and cache name, but for these none appears) and I can't add them to the list. Any ideas?

Do you get an error code?  Or nothing happens?

17 hours ago, the Dino-mic Duo said:

If they have been archived, they are "Officially" out of play, so you can't add new logs to them. That is done by some people when they see a list of sketchy logs that seem fake. One of the many problems the sport has from lack of morals these days. It's like cheating at solitaire.

Seeker_Knight

7 hours ago, Seeker_Knight said:

If they have been archived, they are "Officially" out of play, so you can't add new logs to them. That is done by some people when they see a list of sketchy logs that seem fake. One of the many problems the sport has from lack of morals these days. It's like cheating at solitaire.

You seem to have confused "archived" with "locked".

It can be perfectly fine to post logs to an archived cache. If people are behind on logging their field notes drafts, then a cache (or event) may be archived before they post their logs. Or if people are using a group account, and one (or more) decides to split off and re-logs Finds with a separate individual account, then that may include re-logging Finds on caches that have since been archived. Or if someone tags along with a geocacher for a while, and then decides to create an account and log the caches they found together, then that may include logging Finds on caches that have since been archived.

All of this is perfectly fine. If the ability to log archived caches is being abused, then the cache can be locked. This is relatively rare, however.

• Upvote 3
On 2/3/2020 at 5:57 PM, Max and 99 said:

Do you get an error code?  Or nothing happens?

When I click the + sign in the circle to add the cache to the list, the "Add geocache to list" box opens. When I type in the GC code, it normally opens a pull down list of caches that match the description and you highlight one to choose it. In this cache, it does not bring up such a pulldown list and if I try to click on the "Add geocache" button, the cursor turns to a red circle with line (as in, that is not allowed). So, I can't add the archived cache to my list. I used to be able to do that.

1 hour ago, the Dino-mic Duo said:

When I click the + sign in the circle to add the cache to the list, the "Add geocache to list" box opens. When I type in the GC code, it normally opens a pull down list of caches that match the description and you highlight one to choose it. In this cache, it does not bring up such a pulldown list

This is because they've changed the lookup to use the search functionality, and since you can't 'search' for archived caches, you can't add a cache (any longer) this method. It's an unfortunate change and IMO a limitation (we've discussed it elsewhere in the forum and I'm still of the mind that entering a specific GC code should allow access to functions on it specifically so that actual searches still don't have to take into consideration poring through the millions of archived listings)

But anyway. Glad you resolved it :)

• Funny 1