Seems like such an obvious idea...

TeamRabbitRun

...but I've never come across it.

I hit a nano on Sunday with a log scroll. I unscrewed the cap and dumped it out into my hand. The scroll was encased in a piece of a sturdy drinking straw that had been cut to length then slit up one side. 

To replace the log, roll it as best as you can and wrap the straw around it. Held snugly, fell right out of its tube and fits right back in without expanding or getting the ends crushed.

Sure, tell me it's the most-common thing out there; I can take it.

Kudos to CO "dakaamsach" for showing me a new simple trick.

• Helpful 4

We've seen those many years ago.   :)    For bisons too.

Most ended up missing when it became a pain-in-the-can for a lot of folks to fit it all in (having to take parts of the log away to fit with the straw), or they shot off like on a springboard,  and not able to be retrieved (in the water).

35 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

And here it's used to hold the log....

in%2Bsleeve%2B6447.jpg length%2B6446.jpg

Yep - that's what I was talking about. 

The one I found was much smaller. I would say bison tube-sized, but it wasn't a bison tube. What it WAS, I can't say: spoilers!

As for the video above - Wow! I think that's great, but I'd be afraid that a cacher would shove it through! Also, outside of caching I just might clean up that litter.

4 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I hit a nano on Sunday with a log scroll. I unscrewed the cap and dumped it out into my hand. The scroll was encased in a piece of a sturdy drinking straw that had been cut to length then slit up one side. 

I have some thick Teflon tubing that fits inside my 50ml Micros, and I cut it half the length of the log roll.  And similar ones for the bison tube hides.  It’s cool and all, but the tube tends to vanish at times. :huh:

19 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I don't think it is. :-)

In my opinion the most-common thing should be not to hide nano (or even smaller) caches... The cache shown in the video is great as a puzzling high difficulty cache but most tiny caches are just annoying and tiny without purpose...

23 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

...but I've never come across it.

To replace the log, roll it as best as you can and wrap the straw around it. Held snugly, fell right out of its tube and fits right back in without expanding or getting the ends crushed.

Kudos to CO "dakaamsach" for showing me a new simple trick.

I never ran into one done this way. GREAT IDEA, AND THANKS FOR SHARING it!

Seeker_Knight

I've seen a few of those recently. Great idea. I've also seen a pin cut to length equal to the width of the log and glued in place. Stubborn logs can be teased out by applying a magnet to the pin and telecsoping it out.  I keep a home made twilling tool in my caching bag for stubborn nano logs, both removing and rerolling.

Straighten a small paperclip. Cut a piece of 1/4" dowel about 1" long. Drill a hole 1/4" from one end and groove from the hole to the end so the paperclip lies flat. Insert the paperclip in the hole and straighten both ends parallel, lying into the grooves. Wrap the dowel in duct tape to secure and cut the paperclip off flush about 1" beyond the end of the dowel.  grasp the end of the paperclip and gently twist until the ends twist together into a single column. Untwist so a piece of paper can be inserted between. When you open the cache and the log won't tap out, insert the end of the tool into the hole, twist and pull. If you can, insert the paperclip with the end of the log between the jaws and twist to close them together. If you cant get an end of the log, insert the paperclip into the center void and twist in the opposite direction to open the jaws while pulling. When you're done insert the end of the log between the paperclip jaws and twist to roll up the log. Sounds a lot more involved than it actually is.

• Helpful 1

I often see bison logs in a plastic straw section or in a small plastic vial inner container (sometimes both).

For preforms, a good local trick is to staple one end of some small notebook paper to a straw or tape one end of a logsheet to a thin wood craft stick, then wind the paper around the straw or stick. This helps keep the paper from accidentally getting wedged in the bottom of the preform. 

• Helpful 2