Who would be responsible for injuries?

5 minutes ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

t's been a long time since I signed up for a Geocaching account so I don't recall what I agreed to,

I'll refresh your memory. But you do what you want to do with your caches. Doesn't matter to me. 

https://www.geocaching.com/play/guidelines

Geocaching HQ has developed these guidelines in collaboration with the international community of volunteers and geocachers since September 2000. Together, we review and adapt the guidelines as the world changes and the game evolves. Following the geocaching guidelines is important to protect the game and the environment in which we play. With these guidelines we aim to balance the needs and rights of the geocaching community, land managers, and the environment to ensure that geocaching can be enjoyed for years to come.

We encourage you to find at least 20 geocaches before hiding one. The more variety of geocaches you find, the better you will understand how to create an enjoyable experience for other geocachers. Find additional guidance about hiding caches in our Help Center.

For publication, geocaches must follow these guidelines and any applicable Regional Geocaching Policies.

When you submit a geocache page for review, a member of the global team of community volunteer reviewers (also known as reviewers) will check it against these guidelines. Community volunteer reviewers are geocachers, like you, who volunteer their time to support the game of geocaching and the geocaching community.

Geocaching HQ and community volunteers are not in any way responsible or liable for caches or their placement. All aspects of your geocache and its placement are your responsibility, and you may be held liable for any resulting consequences. Use of Geocaching HQ services is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. These guidelines are subject to change.

• Upvote 1

Got the email from Geocaching.com. It's nice that they remind us of trackable bugs in our archive caches! I forgot about this little bugger. Picking up the cache today. 

Greetings HunterandSamuel,

A geocache containing the Travel Bug Dog Tag Veterans Crisis Line TB has been archived.

The trackable item's last known location was the Traditional Cache Arachnid Hotel .

You may be able to determine more about the cache and your trackable item's status by reading the most recent logs on the cache page. If you cannot determine the current location of your trackable item, you can mark it 'missing' on its reference page.
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, HunterandSamuel said:

I'll refresh your memory. But you do what you want to do with your caches. Doesn't matter to me.

Regardless, can you recall with 100% certainty that you actively accepted that disclaimer?  Like I said, enforceability generally requires proof that you actively agreed to the disclaimer.  If I'm on a jury, the fact that a website "says something" is inconsequential.  Are they able to prove you read it and agreed to it.  That's the standard for enforceability.

Again, it matters not to me.  Personal responsibility and all.  But don't kid yourself that a simple disclaimer will protect you from liability.

1 minute ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

Again, it matters not to me.  Personal responsibility and all.  But don't kid yourself that a simple disclaimer will protect you from liability.

Sigh. Try rereading my posts. Nowhere did I say a disclaimer will protect me from liability. The disclaimer protects Groundspeak. 

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Sigh. Try rereading my posts. Nowhere did I say a disclaimer will protect me from liability. The disclaimer protects Groundspeak. 

And you try rereading MY posts.   YOU (HunterAndSamuel) didn't issue a disclaimer, so if course you're not protected.  Why on earth would I say that YOU were protected?

The "you" in my posts is a generic "you".  Let me try this again and see if you (HunterAndSamuel) understand:

A simple disclaimer will not necessarily protect the ISSUER OF THE DISCLAIMER.

YOU claimed that GS can not be sued because of their disclaimer.

I said don't be so sure about that because issuing a simple disclaimer might not protect you.  "You" being the disclaimer issuer.

I apologize if English is not your first language.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

I apologize if English is not your first language.

You should read the Forums guidelines.

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/guidelines/

Introduction to the Forums

The goal of the Geocaching Forums is to promote the activity of geocaching and location-based outdoor play. It is an open forum sponsored by Geocaching HQ for discussing all aspects of geocaching, Waymarking, Wherigo™, benchmark hunting, GPS usage and other geocaching-related GPS gaming. It is a friendly social network for GPS enthusiasts around the world.

The forum guidelines are important and should be read and accepted before you choose to participate. Geocaching HQ and the global geocaching community encourage contributors who are courteous, polite, and respectful. We discourage those who choose to behave in a disrespectful or irresponsible manner. Geocaching HQ, its staff, and community volunteer moderators will take appropriate steps to ensure discussions adhere to these guidelines.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
3 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

You should read the Forums guidelines.

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/guidelines/

Introduction to the Forums

The goal of the Geocaching Forums is to promote the activity of geocaching and location-based outdoor play. It is an open forum sponsored by Geocaching HQ for discussing all aspects of geocaching, Waymarking, Wherigo™, benchmark hunting, GPS usage and other geocaching-related GPS gaming. It is a friendly social network for GPS enthusiasts around the world.

The forum guidelines are important and should be read and accepted before you choose to participate. Geocaching HQ and the global geocaching community encourage contributors who are courteous, polite, and respectful. We discourage those who choose to behave in a disrespectful or irresponsible manner. Geocaching HQ, its staff, and community volunteer moderators will take appropriate steps to ensure discussions adhere to these guidelines.

I have, thanks.  I appreciate your concern.

• Upvote 1

So, getting back on the topic of this thread. What I have learned most importantly here is that from now on, I will make sure all my future cache hides are family oriented and safe for them.  My goal is to encourage families to bring their children geocaching with them and keep the sport/hobby active from generation to generation. It also gets children outside in the fresh air and some exercise instead of on their cells and tablets! 

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

So, getting back on the topic of this thread. What I have learned most importantly here is that from now on, I will make sure all my future cache hides are family oriented and safe for them.  My goal is to encourage families to bring their children geocaching with them and keep the sport/hobby active from generation to generation. It also gets children outside in the fresh air and some exercise instead of on their cells and tablets! 

That's a nice goal, but there are also geocachers which enjoy the physical and mental challenges that a cache that is not family oriented can provide.   Yes, they pose a risk, and the potential consequences when attempting to find some high terrain caches can be significant, including death.    There used to be a frequent and popular poster here that was somewhat infamous for their dangerous hides.  Here is some of the text from the description for one of them:

The third (final) stage is located in an abandoned containment building, contaminated with radioactive and toxic chemical waste, at the site of an abandoned civilian/military research nuclear reactor from the 1950s and 1960s.

That's right.  GZ for the final is radioactive.  Yes, the cache is still active

Not every cache needs to be safe and easy.  Not every geocacher wants every cache to be safe and easy.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Not every cache needs to be safe and easy.  Not every geocacher wants every cache to be safe and easy.

Yep.

-  And placing low D/T only hides doesn't really mean much either.   :)

I got hurt on a 1.5/1.5 once, the other 2/3rds has a few times.  My nephew tumbled out of his chair on a 1.5/1 once.

We're enjoying the outdoors.  There aren't pads and mats placed along every trail and objects outdoors for anyone's safety. 

Leaving the house, we assume there may be risks... 

I guess I don't understand how someone makes the choice to head outdoors to play any hobby, then wonder who they're gonna nail if they happen to get hurt. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
25 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Leaving the house, we assume there may be risks... 

I guess I don't understand how someone makes the choice to head outdoors to play any hobby, then wonder who they're gonna nail if they happen to get hurt. 

Please stay on topic. The topic was about a certain scenario  that was dangerous. Also, try reading GS's guidelines. 

• Upvote 1

I know the longtime members here love to hear themselves speak, love ganging up on others who do not share the share opinions...put please remember, this forum is not about YOU. It's about sharing opinions and respecting them and helping others. In my opinion, you long time members have lost focus. Lets start new here. Young geocachers with refreshing ideas should be welcomed and not attacked. 

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Hey, Keystone. Time to close this thread, something you like to do. I am satisfied with what I have accomplished. I also think it's time you remind others who violate the forum rules instead of concentrating on "off topic" only. Like this:  

It is a friendly social network for GPS enthusiasts around the world.

The forum guidelines are important and should be read and accepted before you choose to participate. Geocaching HQ and the global geocaching community encourage contributors who are courteous, polite, and respectful. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

A reminder for the old timers who have lost focus: Geocaching HQ and the global geocaching community encourage contributors who are courteous, polite, and respectful. We discourage those who choose to behave in a disrespectful or irresponsible manner.

"Old timers" who have "lost focus"?  I think you forgot an "OK Boomer" in your insults.

• Upvote 5
8 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

How, exactly, are you going to "refresh my memory" about what I agreed to when I joined 17 years ago?  You have no idea what the T&C's or disclaimers looked like at the time, nor do you have any idea what one may or may not have agreed to in 2003.  Frankly, you can take your smug derision somewhere else, it's not working here.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had enough of it.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Going off topic. Groundspeak, the weather was wonderful today. The kind of weather that brings out geocachers. But...the concern is this weather is the cause of climate change. My question is...how does climate change affect geocaching? It's an interesting topic. 

Edited by HunterandSamuel
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, ParrotRobAndCeCe said:

How, exactly, are you going to "refresh my memory" about what I agreed to when I joined 17 years ago?  You have no idea what the T&C's or disclaimers looked like at the time, nor do you have any idea what one may or may not have agreed to in 2003.  Frankly, you can take your smug derision somewhere else, it's not working here.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had enough of it.

Um. we already discussed this already. Why bring it up again? 

• Upvote 1