Basecamp questions

ras_oscar

You can freely move *.gdb files between GSAK and either Mapsource or Basecamp.  The trick is to export from GSAK using its custom "Waypoint name" feature, just as most of us do for *.gpx export for our GPS devices.  I export my *.gdb files using '%drop2'.  That trips off the "GC" and just leaves the raw GC code for display on the Mapsource or Basecamp map.  That avoids all of the clutter of names on the map for either app.

Basecamp.jpg

What would be really cool is if I could get BOTH Basecamp and Mapsource to work off the same save file as GSAK. I've resumed my previous practice of logging my finds using GSAK. Mapsource asks me to identify a GPX file to open. Basecamp and I believe GSAK opens their internal backup file. 

34 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

i've always used GPX instead of .gdb. Do you know what the differences are between those file types?

I believe that .gdb is an actual database file whereas GPX is a listing of points in XML format to be read for display by a GPS. The data from GPX files can be parsed and entered into a database, but the format itself is not conducive for data functions such as sorting and searching. That's why GPS units read the file and then add parts of it to their internal databases.

ok, i'll back up the important stuff and mess about with it. 

Edit: Its raining today so I exported my home cache region to a GDB fileusing %codeas the waypoint name, and opened it i both basecamp and mapsource. They now both display the GC code only and I can see the map behind more clearly. Thanks for solving my problem.

When transferring caches to my garmin device is there any benefit in using GPX vs GDB? I have ways used gpx, never considered there might be another option.

There is a data loss when changing from .GPX to.GDB. In Basecamp.  In Mapsorce the data provided is the same either way.  Basecamp/GPX provides a full listing or al information in the web page, including sc=cache description, logs, etc. When changing to GDB it only provides the basic information. I will keep using the .GPX file n my GPS so I have that information in the field.

Edited by ras_oscar
thought of more stuff

Mineral2 is mostly correct.

GPX was designed and developed around the turn of the century by independent software creators to provide a common interchange format between applications (and was then hoped, GPS units). It was focused on waypoint, tracks, and routes - the interesting common denominator at the time. Extensions are available for fitness data, acceleration (racers), marine, and such. It's supported by many programs on many operating systems and probably even more web sites.. It's an open file specification and a mostly plain ole text file in the sense that a simple web page is; GPX is pretty simple.

mps and later, gdb and gpi were developed internally by Garmin for Garmin's own apps. Specifications on it were never released and any interoperability via those formats is because souls have stared at piles of raw number and worked out what Garmin would do. These files changed over times in incomptibles, while GPX moves very slowly. (Critics may fairly say that it's too slow - and that's partially on me to fix.)

If you're storing your data and it's valuable to be able to open it in other apps where you don't control the readers or in a future where Garmin fails and/or drops these apps, store it in GPX.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 4
7 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Nice, isn't it?  I would recommend using %drop2 instead, since that strips the first two characters ("GC") off of the front of each GC code, further reducing the amount of space taken on the map view by the identifiers.

That works so long a every single data item is an actual geocache, but when additional waypoints such as parking, stages, etc. are also involved, which can use the original GC code with a different prefix, which would also be stripped here, can lead to multiple waypoints with identical names...

Ah, yes.  If you were to bring the 'child' waypoints into the map, that (using %drop2) becomes an issue.  I don't do that, though -- I do not export the children for my routing.  I prefer to find my own routing and parking solutions most of the time.  For some out of the way caches, there may be better solutions than even the CO is aware of.

Is there an open source ( IE free) source of current sat images I can import as a mapset into Basecamp? I know I can use the images in Groundspeak online, but I'd like to be able to use it offline when i'm planning trips ( to flip back and forth between trails and overhead) . Helps to evaluate a spot for  (for instance ) safe parking. I already have OSM routable for Basecamp and my GPSr. The closest I have found is the leaflet map caches macro, but that doesn't allow me to plan and save routes.

Edited by ras_oscar
thought of more stuff
11 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

Is there an open source ( IE free) source of current sat images I can import as a mapset into Basecamp? I know I can use the images in Groundspeak online, but I'd like to be able to use it offline when i'm planning trips ( to flip back and forth between trails and overhead) . Helps to evaluate a spot for  (for instance ) safe parking. I already have OSM routable for basecamp and my GPSr.

I've always wondered about that. For now I just use my phone for that.

36 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

Is there an open source ( IE free) source of current sat images I can import as a mapset into Basecamp?

Have never seen one.  As a result, once I have done my initial rough routing for a cache run in Mapsource (or Basecamp), and I tag these in GSAK as I go, I export resulting list from GSAK as a *.gpx, convert that to *.kml, and do my serious notes for parking and unusual routing in Google Earth.  The problem with GE, however, is that the imagery always seems old, even compared to the satellite data in Google Maps.  Does anyone know why that is, by the way?  Google Maps satellite imagery always seems to be a year or three ahead of GE.  Strange.

Yes, it's the web version that I use.  And it's not the app I have issue with (although there's a few things I'd like to see changed), it's the fact that they're often supplying a significantly older set of imagery on their GE server than they do on their Google Maps server.

6 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

Garmin Oregon 700

Excellent.

Most Garmin GPSr include one year free access to BirdsEye satellite imagery, which is the only satellite imagery BaseCamp works with.

If you have not already started using the free one year subscription included with your Garmin GPSr,  you can start anytime by simply connecting the GPSr to your computer, running BaseCamp, and selecting BirdsEye satellite imagery to download. (see GPSrChive > BaseCamp > Maps > BirdsEye)

• The free subscription is automatically enabled when you start selecting areas from within the BaseCamp program. 
  • There is no need for any account creation for this free use.
  • There is no need for any device registration for this free use. 

Once the subscription period has ended, you will no longer be able to download new imagery unless you re-subscribe, but all imagery downloaded to that point remains yours to use in BaseCamp and on the GPSr for unlimited time.

See GPSrChive > How To... > Maps > BirdsEye for more detailed information. Especially the 'BirdsEye Map Archive' section.

Edited by Atlas Cached

new question. Tagging onto this thread to keep things neat, orderly and organized.

I'd like to upload a tracklog into OSM to add some hiking trails.  I was able to move the target data from the GPSr to Basecamp. How do I get A gpx of the tracklog out of basecamp so I can upload to OSM?

Every time you save a track log on your GPSr, it saves it to its own GPX file with the name of the track. You could simply grab that file off your GPS directly.

But, in basecamp, you can clean and edit your tracks.

To export from Basecamp, select the track you want and then go to File > Export Selected User Data and it will save the track to a GPX file.

17 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

See GPSrChive > How To... > Data Management > Transferring Data

or

See GPSrChive > Basecamp > Data Management > Transferring Data

Thanks for the links. Looked through them, no method was apparent. So I did a little research. 

1.  You need to configure your gpsr to save tracks in both a Garmin Activities (fit) file and a gpx file using Main Menu->setup->recording->Advanced Setup->output format. Set to GPX/FIT.  If you have multile activities set up you'll need to adjust the settings for each activity.

2.  The gpx file will be stored in the main unit memory at Garmin\GPX\tracks  and named "Track_yyyy-mm-dd" where yyyy is the year, mm is month, dd is day. Still looking for a way to save track portions in the field by name, ( say store just the trails and delete the trip to and from)  I'll update this post if when I find. 

26 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

Still looking for a way to save track portions in the field by name, ( say store just the trails and delete the trip to and from)  I'll update this post if when I find. 

In the Current Track "app," there is an option to Save Portion (check the hamburger menu, that's where it is on my Oregon 600). However, you'll get more precision trimming your tracks in basecamp.

Also, you have the option to clear and reset the track at the start of your trip and save it at the end so that you're not including any of the trip to and from the trailhead. The oregon models also give you the ability to pause and start tracking at any time.

4 hours ago, HHL said:

... to use the stop watch. Start the stop watch at the beginning of a track tour. When stopping the stop watch there will be automatically created a special named Stopwatch_DateTime.GPX on your Oregon.

Hans

i saw that. Is there a way to add it as an additional data screen or do in need to open it from activity home screen ->recording->Current Activity

and when I do that (say from the geocaching car profile) does it maintain even when i switch to the geocaching activity?

On 7/11/2020 at 11:00 AM, ras_oscar said:

How do I get A gpx of the tracklog out of basecamp so I can upload to OSM?

On 7/11/2020 at 4:49 PM, Atlas Cached said:
On 7/11/2020 at 11:00 AM, ras_oscar said:

How do I get A gpx of the tracklog out of basecamp so I can upload to OSM?

See GPSrChive > How To... > Data Management > Transferring Data

or

See GPSrChive > Basecamp > Data Management > Transferring Data

21 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

Thanks for the links. Looked through them, no method was apparent. So I did a little research. 

Those links were provided  to help you with the questions about how to export GPX files for use with OSM, and had nothing to do with any questions about tracklog configurations on your GPSr.

1.  You need to configure your gpsr to save tracks in both a Garmin Activities (fit) file and a gpx file using Main Menu->setup->recording->Advanced Setup->output format. Set to GPX/FIT.  If you have multile activities set up you'll need to adjust the settings for each activity.

These settings may also be found under 'Setup > Tracks' on older Garmin models (GPSMAP 62, 64, eTrex x0(x)) or 'Setup > Activities' on eTrex Touch. THey are always profile dependent.

2.  The gpx file will be stored in the main unit memory at Garmin\GPX\tracks  and named "Track_yyyy-mm-dd" where yyyy is the year, mm is month, dd is day. 

Almost. Saved tracks will be available in the GPSr:/Garmin/GPX/ directory (no 'tracks' folder). See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Operation > Files and Folders.

2.  Still looking for a way to save track portions in the field by name, ( say store just the trails and delete the trip to and from)  I'll update this post if when I find. 

This is perhaps most easily accomplished (in the field, on the GPSr) by using the 'Save Track Portion' option from the 'Current Activity' page. See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Current Activity > Save Partial.

You may want to consider asking questions about how your Oregon 7x0 functions at the GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Discussion Forum.