Check your spam for notices from geocaching.com if you have Windows 7, etc!

Because of the changes Windows made on January 20th 2019,  I stopped getting notices in my email account from Geocaching.com, including newly published hides. I didn't realize this until I looked in my spam and there they all were, all after 1/20. I added noreply@geocaching.com to my contacts and that fixed the problem. I missed finding a FTF, a new cache hidden at our favorite kayaking spot!

What does your Windows version have to do with mail being considered spam (unless you use a live/outlook or other MS emailaddress/mailclient)? In any case my Pegasus Mail (windows) nor K9-mail (Android) have any problems. BTW, spam filtering is done on my own mailserver.

13 hours ago, on4bam said:

What does your Windows version have to do with mail being considered spam (unless you use a live/outlook or other MS emailaddress/mailclient)? In any case my Pegasus Mail (windows) nor K9-mail (Android) have any problems. BTW, spam filtering is done on my own mailserver.

People with Window 7 should still check their spam box. I'm glad you aren't having problems. Good for you.  Do you have windows 7? There is a connection because I was getting all notices from geocaching.com until the end of Windows 7 support.  And I'm certainly not going to buy a new computer like Microsoft recommend to download Windows 10.  Also my email filters spam and places it in my email's spam box.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4467761/windows-what-happens-when-windows-7-support-ends

After 10 years, support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020. If you continue to use Windows 7 after support has ended, your PC will still work, but it will become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses because you will no longer receive software updates, including security updates, from Microsoft. Microsoft strongly recommends that you move to a new PC running Windows 10 to avoid a situation where you need service or support that is no longer available. 

12 hours ago, The Jester said:

I've had no problems with GC mail, I'm using Windows 7 & Windows Live Mail.

I would get  emails from cachers who logged a found on our caches but nothing else. So it's important for others who have Windows 7, to check their spam although they are getting some emails from GS. Thankfully I checked spam for some other reason and found a whole page from geocaching.com, new cache published and caches I was watching, etc. Like I said before...I then added noreply@geocong.com in our contacts and the problem has been solved. I want others to know what happened to me when Windows 7 support ended. It doesn't hurt to check their spam to be sure.   

Your windows version has nothing to do with your mailbox unless you use a MS service.

You shouldn't buy a new computer but could have taken up MS' offer to upgrade to Win10 for free. The upgrade remained free even after the date they announced the offer would end. I know of 1 person who upgraded for free on January 15th..... It was also published on a Belgian tech website that the update still worked so unless your hardware is not compatible there was no reason not to update.

Now, instead of complaining you might just say what your configuration is What e-mail software? What e-mail provider? ISP provided, Gmail, Yahoo,...... ? In any case your OS has no effect on where mails are delivered, that's done by the e-mail provider and/or your e-mail software.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
50 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Now, instead of complaining you might just say what your configuration is What e-mail software? What e-mail provider? ISP provided, Gmail, Yahoo,...... ? In any case your OS has no effect on where mails are delivered, that's done by the e-mail provider and/or your e-mail software.

I'm not complaining and please don't turn this thread, that I made out of concern for others, into another 2 day debate for crying out loud. 

Edited by HunterandSamuel
28 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Not in my case. I'm blaming Windows 7. Just as I now can't get on geocaching.com without going to another browser. 

Again, Windows does not filter your emails but you can believe whatever you want that doesn't make it so.

• Upvote 6

FYI all I'm saying is this is what happened to me and it's too much of a coincidence and to be on the safe side people who use Windows 7,  check your spam to make sure you are getting GS messages. If they don't want to check, fine. If they check and see messages from GS, fine. If they check and do not have GS messages, fine. But please do not turn this thread into something it's not like some of you love doing here.

53 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Your windows version has nothing to do with your mailbox unless you use a MS service.

Entirely true and helpful information so the OP may understand the situation.

55 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Again, true and helpful.

The OP was made without any understanding of what underlies their problem, on4bam suggested reasons and remedies and tried to explain the true cause.

1 minute ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Same back to you now stop it. 

And now as I type you have devolved any conversation to the level of the playground with that ...

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, hal-an-tow said:

Entirely true and helpful information so the OP may understand the situation.

Again, true and helpful.

The OP was made without any understanding of what underlies their problem, on4bam suggested reasons and remedies and tried to explain the true cause.

And now as I type you have devolved any conversation to the level of the playground with that ...

And here we go. on4bam turned it into a level of playground when she/he accused me of complaining, which is not so. Now, who's next? 

Edited by HunterandSamuel
10 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

And here we go. on4bam turned it into a level of playground when she/he accused me of complaining, which is not so. Now, who's next? 

And you now made it into my ignore filter. Congratulations, not many succeeded in doing that.

PS: no need to reply, I won't see it ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, on4bam said:

Now, instead of complaining...

To be fair, up until the argy-bargy started, H&S wasn't complaining  just mentioning a problem they'd encountered and the fix that worked for them, in an effort to assist others who might have similar issues.

Even if you think they have jumped to the wrong conclusion about the root cause (and FWIW I agree with you) their advice, which boils down to "if you're missing Emails then check your SPAM folders" is still sound advice.

• Upvote 2