Is there a distance requirement or rule for multi-caches

Chipper3

Yes, although the Review process might be delayed if physical placements were in the mix of things.  For an interstate or international Multi, multiple Reviewers might be involved in checking locations, and depending on their availability, it might delay the Publication a bit.

The other consideration is maintenance.  If the Stages are hundreds of miles apart, it may require a bit more persuasion to convince the Reviewer that adequate maintenance will be done by yourself or a surrogate.  Virtual locations, obviously  will, by and large,  require less maintenance than a physical container.

Edited by Touchstone
  • Helpful 3

Thank you Touchstone!

Good point about the maintenance requirements.  That makes a lot of sense.

What are your thoughts- 

The stages are at different locations within a maintainable area like a city or town.

The stages do not conflict with the location of an existing cache.  The stages are kinda' like a bunch of simple caches and the normal placement rules would apply.

You'd be fine.  Multi cache stages within the same multi have no distance requirements beyond the normal .10 from all other caches, including any other caches of yours.  You can have two stages of the same multi pretty much right next to each other, although that presents its own little set of problems, or you could have two stages hundreds of miles apart, creating a different set of problems.

As described by you, as long as each of these physical stages is outside the .10 from all other caches in the area (including any of yours that aren't part of this multi), then you should be fine.

If you have a particular area you want them to visit but proximity issues are an issue, you can always create a virtual stage, which will have no proximity issues at all with anything.

Edited by coachstahly
5 hours ago, coachstahly said:

You can have two stages of the same multi pretty much right next to each other...

Yep, there's no required minimum distance between stages. I've found stages with no horizontal distance between them, as well as a couple with a distance of about 1 inch. One of the latter was hidden by a Lackey.

I am so confused on this! MANY years ago I placed a multi and interpreted the guidelines to mean each physical stage of a multi had to be at least .1mi apart. So that's what I did. Several years later I found a 3-stage multi where S2 and S3 were only about 80 ft. apart. So I posted here about that and was told by An Important Person that yes, stages had to be .1mi apart. I think she provided a link to the guideline. OK. That's what I thought.

So here it again...no minimum distance between stages?! Which IS it? I'd really like to know a final, official answer. Thanks in advance for clarity.

1 hour ago, PlantAKiss said:

So here it again...no minimum distance between stages?! Which IS it? I'd really like to know a final, official answer. Thanks in advance for clarity.

There is no minimum distance between physical stages of the same multi, but each such stage has to be at least 0.1 miles from any other physical cache or waypoint. I won't quote the Help Centre as I got into trouble for doing that in another thread, but this is a screenshot from the Guidelines:

image.thumb.png.e78cfad7893a8d2d209e44ef8a38ebe5.png

• Helpful 2
On 1/31/2020 at 4:43 PM, Chipper3 said:

For example could a multi-cache be a long-range journey that even bridges states.

Hi Chipper,

one more insight - just to think about! The final decision is up to you as it is allowed like the others told you.

The following is just my subjective opinion:

Not everything that is allowed is senseful. I don't think many cachers will do the journey. Some will do it as a group still wasting petrol (not being good for several reasons). Probably many cachers will simply try to get the coordinates from previsous finders. In the end I am not sure that it'll be fun for many cachers - and not for you, also, I am afraid.

Does it really have to be so big? Why not make it a little smaller? You might still create a big hiking or bicycle multi about 20 to 100 kilometres.

If you do something like you planned then be sure to have a good reason for using stages in different countries. Please just don't do it just for creating length!

As I said: that's just my personal opinion!

Best wishes

Jochen

Edited by frostengel
missplaced letter
  • Helpful 1

@frostengel   I really liked your response. And I agree.  The scope is narrowed to what I can maintain and also enjoy the comments of completion. 

I just wanted  to be sure that I could place stages  around a village or a geographic area instead of along a path or....

Again, thank you for the response and thoughts!

Chipper3