Declined Waymark that was approved in 2014

iconions

Well, I got quite the surprise this evening.  A waymark that was approved in 2014 was suddenly denied in 2020.  Explanation was that it had been relocated.  Here's the problem, why was the waymark approved in 2014, but it is now a problem?  Oh, I know, the category owner is now getting rid of the water troughs and is now actually looking for reasons to purge the category.  Yep, people are wondering WHY I have pretty much quit Waymarking.  Petty crap like this.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

But... but...but....that doesn't warrant a decline!

Who knows what the category description said in 2014 - it probably was good at the time.  I don't post bad waymarks as a general rule.  The category leader has decided that he is only back in Waymarking to beta test a OS and is going to go through his categories and be a Richard.  

• Upvote 1

Effective 01/30/2020 Watering Troughs will no longer be considered as additions to the category. There are just too many relocated and restored or used as flower beds for public display, and many animal drinking fountains that are deserving of their own category are being submitted...

Historic Upping Stones, Hitching Posts, and Carriage Blocks

I just had one declined too that was approved in 2017 and it was the only waymark I had in that category. :( I just don't understand why the relocation of a water trough makes it not suitable for the category. In my case the trough was moved only 200 meters, because the original location nowadays is between two streets with heavy traffic and therefore not easy to find for pedestrians. Nevertheless, it still is a water trough for horses and dogs and even birds and as far as I know the only one within Vienna (the capital of Austria) and therefore highly historically interesting.

Edited by PISA-caching

Glad to know I'm not being singled out. 

I have had at least  FIVE APPROVED waymarks declined due to changes in the category of the past three years.

The ironic part is that I was once an officer in that category. 

Then I was "removed" by the leader one day.  

Edited by jhuoni
  • Upvote 1

I don't think there's a need to skip over the identity of the person/category leader in question here. He's not an ogre, nor a mean and vindictive or vengeful person, just cantankerous, as many of us are becoming. For some reason he's just unwilling to come and say "Hi". I feel no antipathy toward him and I suspect that most people here feel likewise. They'd rather just have the opportunity to understand his point of view. I believe he's here, listening and watching right now.

What say Possum Man? Could you come and talk to these people?

Keith

Addendum: OOPS!! I have been apprised that the Possum Man may not "come and talk to these people". Displaying my ignorance here. My apologies to all, including the Possum Man.

OH CRAP - I've done it again. How do I get rid of the stuff below?!?!

image.png

Edited by ScroogieII
OOPS
  • Upvote 1

Me too. You know what's going to be really fun? Explaining to anyone who visited one of these many-years-later-declined waymarks that they no longer qualify for my geocache challenge cache and therefore I must delete their Found log. I have no choice, right?  They no longer meet the qualification. Rules are rules.

• Upvote 1

"Denied By: Let's make Waymarking Great for Android Category Managers", this is my waymark has been canceled.

Hello, I do not understand why refuse waymarks approved in 2017, and which met the criteria.

"Effective 02/01/2020 Watering Troughs and Animal Fountains as additions to the category will no longer be considered."

Do you have the right to modify, as you wish, its category which has been approved by its peers? So what is the use of voting? I think that if you change your category, it is desirable to keep the approved waymarks before this change.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

This was in your decline email?

No, it was on my waymark. This is what was on the mail:
"Your waymark, Fontaine de la Fond - Talmont sur Gironde - France, has been denied for the following reason:

I'm sorry, but these are not a fit to the category and were accepted my mistake. Sorry. "

I do not understand that we refuse according to the modifications of 02/01/2020, when it fulfilled the conditions previously.

I apparently failed to read the category description, and my waymark does not meet the criteria.  That's on me. The Reviewer not understanding the requirements when the waymark was approved  - that's on him/her. I do appreciate the very nice note that accompanied the decline. 

I'm guilty of this kind of action.  I did it with Artesian Wells when I took over the category.  There were plenty of waymarks which were not artesian wells as a previous officer didn't know what they were and was approving ordinary wells.  It bothered me that a waymarker might run across one and mistakenly believe that he/she had found an artesian well.  People were not happy then either but Waymarking does allow for a waymark to be re-evaluated.

• Upvote 1
On 3/15/2020 at 5:07 PM, Max and 99 said:

Let's make Waymarking Great for Android Category Managers

On 3/15/2020 at 5:44 PM, elyob said:

The category management can edit the Group Name any time.

Yes, but the category group name should in SOME way reflect the general nature of the category. In some way. Any way.

In my opinion. :D

Edited by Max and 99
44 minutes ago, RakeInTheCache said:

I'm guilty of this kind of action.  I did it with Artesian Wells when I took over the category.  There were plenty of waymarks which were not artesian wells as a previous officer didn't know what they were and was approving ordinary wells.  It bothered me that a waymarker might run across one and mistakenly believe that he/she had found an artesian well.  People were not happy then either but Waymarking does allow for a waymark to be re-evaluated.

Oh, I'm still annoyed with you over that. [laughing]  

I think there's a big difference between what you did and what's being discussed here.  In my case, and probably the same for others, was that our submissions really weren't artesian wells, so you went back and declined the ones that were misidentified.  I didn't like the decline after so much time, but I understand your reasoning.  Hell, I've got an artesian well I've found in Oklahoma, but I can't get enough documentation to really make it worth your while, and I don't want to put you into the position you were previously.  "Everybody says" it's an artesian well, but that's all I've got (and I'll be happy to get with you offline if you'd like to take a look).

Now, the present situation involves the category leader's going back, re-doing the category requirements, and declining submissions that were perfectly acceptable under the old requirements.  The RIGHT thing to do was to grandfather in the old ones, draw the line, mention in the category guidelines that what was once acceptable is no longer so, and then move on.  As an aside, playing well with others is a generally good thing to do in social media, something you do well (and I'll buy you a beer if you're ever near where I live) but something I've observed with the other party ... not so much.  I don't interact with vampires, I just stay away from them.

As an aside:  As a former "poobah" with the power and the glory in the BBS network that was Fidonet, the inability to play well with others can and will result in denial of service, some of it very justified, and those who used to say that they were going to "save" Fidonet did some pretty awful things in order to do so, not making any friends and not being successful in their goals.  The Trojans may have been fooled by horses, but we've learned from their mistakes.

"Let's make Waymarking Great for Android Category Managers"

People, people, people - he's yanking on your chains (again).

He's recently changed his avatar, which previously depicted a certain excruciatingly well known individual hugging the American flag. Think about that and the words "make Waymarking Great".

His declining of previously approved Waymarks is completely within his purview. I've lost Waymarks in that category, too. Get over it. He is , as I said in an earlier post, "not an ogre, nor a mean and vindictive or vengeful person, just cantankerous, as many of us are becoming" .

He'll continue to play with your emotions for just as long as you allow him to.

Play on,

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

"Let's make Waymarking Great for Android Category Managers"

People, people, people - he's yanking on your chains (again).

He's recently changed his avatar, which previously depicted a certain excruciatingly well known individual hugging the American flag. Think about that and the words "make Waymarking Great".

I had no idea!