Change Request: Font Comic Sans MS/Cursive

Twinklekitkat

I noticed this a while ago and thought it was an issue with Cachly but it is not.  Is there a way that the font Cursive could be changed to Chalkboard or similar?  When building a cache page on a PC, if I choose the font Comic Sans MS/cursive, I am shown Comic Sans.  PC=Microsoft=Comic Sans MS.  This font is then translated to Cursive on iOS because MS owns the rights to Comic Sans.  I use an iPhone to geocache and pages that are built with this font are very hard on the eyes.  Granted, most people don't even read cache pages anymore, but if they did and were using iOS, they are presented something that is very difficult to read. There certainly has be be a more compatible type font to Comic Sans in the iOS world than Cursive.  Please consider changing it.

ETA: I believe on re-reading that you are actually advocating for the change of the edit interface's font function to change from "cursive" as the fallback class to something else :)  But I'll leave my original comment below for explanatory relevance.  I believe you already know you can change it to something like sans-serif, but are advocating for the change to the editor interface defaults.

---

If you view the source of the description, you can see how the font family is being set. In this case, a list of fonts in decreasing priority would be optimal. Typically a desired font would be listed followed by similar OS-specific fonts as fallbacks and a basic font class that's standard.

So, you could add another font face to the styling so it'll work on different devices.

In the source you'll see that they add cursive as the fallback to Comic Sans, which isn't really a good fallback, depending on how flowery the default cursive font is on the device. But other fonts could be inserted after Comic Sans and before that basic font class.

For example: set the font style to Comic Sans MS,Chalkboard,sans-serif as the font-family, see if that works.

Edited by thebruce0
34 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

I believe on re-reading that you are actually advocating for the change of the edit interface's font function to change from "cursive" as the fallback class to something else

Yes, you are correct. That is what I am advocating.  I thought about what you mentioned, which would be to just change out the "Cursive" to something else and test it out.  Next time I set up a cache page I will check it out.  The reason I would like it changed in the cache page editor is because I doubt most people, if they choose Comic Sans MS, are going to manually change the Cursive part to something more legible for iOS display. I think it is just assumed that what you see is what you get across all devices/operating systems. 

• Upvote 2