Louisiana Geocachers' Fall Campout 2003

ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Bloencustoms:

I should be able to whip up a couple of cases of beer.

As in homebrew? bad_boy_a.gif If I had the time, that's another hobby I'd like to take up. Beast of Traal brought a couple bottles of barley pop last time. Hmmm, hmmm, good!

As far as side items go, I've got a mighty tasty recipe for salsa. Might have to double up if it's a big crowd.

quote:

ok lets try to get a rough head count on folks that want to participate in the Cochon de lait.

I will need to know an approximate number so that I'll know how large of a roasting pig to get, and so i can roughly figure a per head cost.

You can count me in for one piglet-plate and one truckload of wood. I just had a chat with the local cajun wood guy and he says, "Oh, you doin a cochon de lait? I got da special wood jus fo dat cher. You take you some hickry and wall-nut and soak dat, you get you fire goin an...." At least I don't have to cut it myself. icon_wink.gif

Chances are, Katie'll be ducking this one. It's UL's last home game that weekend and I seriously doubt she'd miss it.

alex

I'll most likely be coming solo myself, and I don't think I'd be able to get a truckload of firewood in the pizzachef-mobile, but i can fill it up with spirits! that'll keep us warmer than fire icon_biggrin.gif

I'd be happy to assist with wood loading or whatever...lemme know if anyone needs labor.

-pizzachef

I wonder if we are gonna play another exciting round of "My favorite Sinefield episode" where we learned such Helpful hints like "If it is on top of Refuse it is refuse"

Oh maybe we can play another round of "Remember when I went Canoeing down the Mississippi river" where we learned.. ummm..ummm.. well we really didn't learn to much from that one except Jamie is a good sport.

But whatever it is we talk about I am sure it will be as entertainning as the last time so if you did not make it to the last one I urge you to plan to stay atleast one night out there cause we did not even get really going till well into the evenning and well into the cases of beer.

I should be able to bring a good size table so that is one out of the way.

I am going to bring some good hard wood for the pig and try to get some pine for the campfire. Yes it is true my camp beans will be a good hardy side dish.

If someone could bring some good homemade Patato salad that makes a good side dish as well.

I will probly make several runs for wood either Thursday or Friday but if we could get one more person commited to a truck load of hard wood that would be great, you can never have to much wood.

Seems the plan is coming together nicely and I do love it when a plan comes together.

I find myself Hoping that October flies by as fast as September did.

Just to make Alex's post about my lack of attendance official, it is true that I won't be able to make it to the campout. It's the same day as UL's last home game, and, as an added bonus, the Cajuns actually have a chance in hell of winning this one, so I for darn sure am not missing it. icon_smile.gif But I hope you guys all have a blast,and I know you will. Please help Alex to do a better job of protecting the "family jewels" this time. A well-timed "Heads up!" would seem to do the trick. icon_biggrin.gif

Yea, Rouge! Yea, Blanc! Yea, Cajuns! Allons!

Geaux Cajuns!

My dad actually makes some excellent homebrew, he has a whole rig, an electric mill, all kinds of tubes and gauges. Unfortunately, he hasn't made much lately. A couple of years ago he made an excellent hoppy ale with yeast cultured from Sierra Nevada pale ale. The similarity was striking. Delicious beer. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

Any guesses as to the temperature at the event? I'm trying to plan for clothes, sleeping bag etc. And I'd like to bring the kayak if it won't be too cold.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on October 04, 2003 at 02:59 PM.]

Bloencustoms - I would just go to www.weather.com and look up the historical data for the Alexandria area. But you know how the weather is down here. Your guess is as good as mine.

Speaking of weather. I forgot how NICE the weather is in Central Arkansas. The last like 3 weeks have been AWESOME.

CenlaCouple - It depends on what day of the week you submitted it. Naturally weekends take longer to go through. I would just email the person assigned to your cache for a quick heads up. If there is a potential problem, usually they will post a note on the cache page (only you can see) telling you they are "pondering" over it. I had that happen with a new cache idea I had for a pictoral cache containing pictures of our "Caching Rides." It took them a while, but finally they decided it would not fly. Even though there were similar ones "Grandfathered In".

Place 'em if you got 'em.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I'll give some thought to bringing my canoe, but I hadn't intended to drive my truck this time, as popular as it was during the last camp.

And here I was thinking you were paddling down for the weekend? icon_wink.gif

Really though, I plan on dragging my fishin' boat along if I can get there early enough on Friday (or late enough on Thursday I'd suppose...). I figure I might be able to get a bit of fishing before the real event kicks off and try to add a few of our finned friends to the fire. icon_smile.gif

alex

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

Anyone else consider bringing a canoe/kayak/powerboat?

I'm going to bring my kayak if the weather feels warm enough when I pack my car. It's a sit-on-top type, so it could be a chilly ride if the weather is too cold. (I'm just not gonna get a wetsuit yet. icon_biggrin.gif)

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

Count me in for 2. Gatorgrl.

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

quote:

ok lets try to get a rough head count on folks that want to participate in the Cochon de lait.

I will need to know an approximate number so that I'll know how large of a roasting pig to get, and so i can roughly figure a per head cost.

You can count me in for one piglet-plate and one truckload of wood. I just had a chat with the local cajun wood guy and he says, "Oh, you doin a cochon de lait? I got da special wood jus fo dat cher. You take you some hickry and wall-nut and soak dat, you get you fire goin an...." At least I don't have to cut it myself. icon_wink.gif

Chances are, Katie'll be ducking this one. It's UL's last home game that weekend and I seriously doubt she'd miss it.

alex

quote:
Originally posted by CenlaCouple:

I count 3 truckloads of wood so far, one more and we should be seticon_smile.gif

I plan to make my way up there Friday night...is there a fire wood place nearby that we can pick up a truckload? When I get there, we can take the top off my truck and lay the seats down and I oughtta be able to fit a modest sized truck load. That way we won't have to unload an already-full truck to go fill it up again.

Don, do you think you'll be squatting all day Friday for us?

-pizzachef

quote:

Don, do you think you'll be squatting all day Friday for us?

I plan to be squatting all day Thursday for anyone that wants to come early. When it comes to Indian creek you have to come a few days before the weekend as the best camping spots tend to go really fast and the one we have selected is the best of the best.

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:

I plan to make my way up there Friday night...is there a fire wood place nearby that we can pick up a truckload? When I get there, we can take the top off my truck and lay the seats down and I oughtta be able to fit a modest sized truck load. That way we won't have to unload an already-full truck to go fill it up again.

I really wonder what the people at "the gate" are gonna be thinking.. "Hmm.. Guy with GPS, truck full of wood... Hmm... Another guy with GPS, truck full of wood... Hmm.. Guy with GPS, chocolate lab, and pig in passenger seat.. "

So if anybody asks, let's all give the same story. We play a game where we hide logs in the woods, mark them with the GPS, and send others out to find them. Naah.. They'd believe something as crazy as that... icon_wink.gif

OK here it is I finally got the chance to get the out and run the route to get the specific directions to the Main gate so here they are.

Take I 49 north or south to exit 73. Head west on Hwy 3265. From Convience store go 1.9 miles to Indian Creek RD. Turn Left. Go 1 mile to where the road splits, stay on the black top follow road to main gate. Basically follow the signs it is well marked.

From Hwy 165 north or south, goto Woodworth. At the only traffic light in Woodworth turn east on Hwy 3265(Robinson Bridge rd). Follow .4 miles to Indian Creek Rd and turn right. go 1 mile to split in the road stay on blacktop rd and basically just follow the signs.

A VERY GOOD NOTE TO REMEMBER: Do the speed limit and only the speed limit in the town of Woodworth. This town is speed trap central and you WILL get a zero Tollerence ticket in this town.

Seems no matter what we do we can't seem to get away from the LAW icon_smile.gif

quote:

When it comes to Indian creek you have to come a few days before the weekend as the best camping spots tend to go really fast and the one we have selected is the best of the best.

From reading this I have the impression that we aren't in a group camp atmosphere as we had before, but rather in a traditional campground where we might be all spread around, is this correct?

What if I show up at some god-awful hour like last time?

Jamie

...and it's $7 a night? Geesh.

I'm only gonna voice my displeasure a handful of times, and this is only the first, so listen carefully.

I think I would have preferred the campout be back at the old place and on November first. I'll likely be in New Orleans on Halloween for nekkid pictures anyway, and a November 1 campout would have fit nicely.

You people make me take another Louisiana roadtrip the following week, AND pay for it? The humanity.

Jamie

In response to Jamie, and I will probly voice my response to his displeasure several times by telling him to stick a canoe in it icon_smile.gif but seriously, There will be plenty of room at the campsite chosen to accomidate multiple tents.

And as for November first we would not expect someone from outside the state to understand the implications of missing LSU play The Cajuns.

Beside I am sure I can speak for atleast a few other folks when I say I sure don't want Jamie stumbling into camp late at night all Boozed up with vision of Hooters in his head.. god only knows what might happen.. :lol

quote:

There will be plenty of room at the campsite chosen to accomidate multiple tents.

Cool. Do we split the $7? icon_rolleyes.gif
quote:
...sure don't want Jamie stumbling into camp late at night all Boozed up with vision of Hooters in his head.. god only knows what might happen..
Hmmm. Ya got me on that one.

Jamie

quote:

You people make me take another Louisiana roadtrip the following week, _AND_ pay for it? The humanity.

If it's any consolation, the towing charge for the last few hundred feet to the campsite is once again free. Once you reach more than about a mile out, the price increases dramatically. icon_smile.gif

alex

quote:

...and it's $7 a night? Geesh.

Jamie

Suck it up man, The Cochon de Lait will cost ya too. Its a Fact of Life you gotta Pay to Play.

And dont be bringin none of them Peso's or whatever you picked up down in Costa Rica.

Your gettin a bargin here, 7 bucks for a camping space is a lot less to figure out than how many billion pesos it cost for a cup of caffine laced donkey sweat, in Nicaragua.

quote:

I'll likely be in New Orleans on Halloween for nekkid pictures anyway, and a November 1 campout would have fit nicely.

Jamie

Wait.. Let me break out my violin...

And yes I want copies of all the nekkid pics with the exception of course, of the ones of you on your bicycle...

quote:

You people make me take another Louisiana roadtrip the following week, _AND_ pay for it? The humanity.

Jamie

Jeeze.. Its not like were asking you to paddle the length of the mississippi river or ride a bike 1800miles... give us a break, and come pas a good time with us fine folks..

Were good company..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

And yes I want copies of all the nekkid pics with the exception of course, of the ones of you on your bicycle...

This I can do. Probably I'll be mostly using my 35mm for this, as I have a good lens and powerful flash for my 35mm. The best flashing pics are taken from across the street upward toward the balcony.

The digital will be for street-level stuff. That is, unless someone would like to loan me an EX-series flash for my G3.

Ya'll want me to bring some Memphis barbeque, too? icon_razz.gif

Jamie

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

This I can do. Probably I'll be mostly using my 35mm for this, as I have a good lens and powerful flash for my 35mm. The best flashing pics are taken from across the street upward toward the balcony.

The digital will be for street-level stuff. That is, unless someone would like to loan me an EX-series flash for my G3.

As for pics of me on my bicycle, there aren't any. There is one of my bicycle at the nude beach, though.

Ya'll want me to bring some Memphis barbeque, too? icon_razz.gif

Jamie

Just a note from the female half of cenlacouple. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again. As an update to Don's latest post: Find the Scooby Snack Cache is finally up and running on the web page. Hummm, I wonder where we got the idea for a Scooby cache? In closing, Don will be telling a lot of wild and crazy caching stories during this weekend. Don't beleive them. They are lies all lies. Can't wait to see you guys

Kerry

Hey the good news about the cache is that it went live before the camp out

The bad news is that someone stole it before it went live so there is no longer a cache.

it sucks that there are low lifes out there that obviously can't read or if they can they just don't care. My bet is they are a Test Tube Baby cause no one with parents could be such an *** icon_smile.gif

I would like to respectfully ask that someone of a good hearted nature, RESREVE me a spot in the main camp. I have to work till 5:00 then drive down there. It will be around Midnight before I get there IF ALL GOES WELL. IF there are not any objections. How does this sound????

Hell, we have plenty of wood. Guess I will bring beer and water.

Place 'em if you got 'em.

Scheduling problem, Scheduling a hooter debauchery for the previous weekend in which you will spend all you money and can not then afford to come the next weekend is not considered a scheduling problem. All seriousness aside.

anyway it will be a dadgum shame if you miss this outting. Hope things work around for ya

Just checked on the Pig and all looks good.

I will place the final order for the Pig on Saturday, and pick it up on Thursday, so I can have time to inject it, and let it maranaide.

Im bringing a few friends with me this time, to ensure we have enough people to cover the costsy for this shindig, and im projecting that if we have 25 people eating Cochon De Lait, somewhere in the vicinity of 10-12 bucks a head should cover the expenses.

Just a reminder..

To pull this off we need folks to bring the following:

Lots of Hardwood for the fire.

Lots of Beer for the drinkin.

Several large tables for prep and eating.

Disposable dinnerware.

PAPER TOWELS.

Camp Chairs.

Good Humor.

and most importantly a BIG appatite.

Doug

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

ok as the time draws near here is the list of what I plan to bring:

2 fair sized tables

Some wood

Lots of beer (which should just have been a gimme)

World famous Camp beans to go along with the pig

Lots of good Humor (another gimme)

and the Usual camping items.

Just a note to everyone I want to remind that I am planning to go out and get us the camping area Thursday afternoon so Kerry and I will be there most of the day Friday of you want to come in early. A Side note to our friend to the North, Consider a tent spot reserved.

Ok. So here's what I'm in for so far, aside from the stuff I need for myself:

one makeshift table (2 x 4 ft. plywood/work bench contraption)

an extra folding chair or two

double burner coleman propane stove

a whole lot of split, mixed harwood

refurbished set of 'jewels' for Don to take pot-shots at [:0]

Doesn't sound like I'll need to bring beer as it seems everyone else has that area covered quite well [icon_wink.gif].

How many people plan on being there for the Friday night thing? I'm kinda thinking about a Friday night food thing also (fee-free). Last time's "last minute jambalaya" was very good, so I'm thinking about emptying the freezer of various and sundry "recently departed creatures" and seeing what I can come up with. Campfire deer & sausage jambalaya stuffed pheasant, anyone? [icon_smile.gif]

I could bring an Plithera of assorted Road kill. it is a long drive out there I am sure I can scrape some critters off the side of the road if that would help ya Alex icon_smile.gif

of all the wood I bring you can use it all but that one special log I plan to use to take those Pot-shots. Or more better defined Crotch-shots.. the gauntlet has been laid. icon_smile.gif

quote:

As much as it sucks - I won't be able to make it.

Does Steph know how to get there by herself or do you need us to finder her & petie some detailed directions? icon_wink.gif

Really though, bummer. I hope this isn't the start of a trend. Was really looking forward to enjoying a few free PBR's on Friday. icon_smile.gif

I plan on getting there Friday night...with a little food for myself, but also some community food like a dozed eggs, maybe breakfast sausage and other stuff for don to whip up one morning. Oh and coffee. And an ice chest of beer. I'm liking the Fall Fest and PBR for my two flavors.

-pizzachef