Louisiana Geocachers' Fall Campout 2003

ClayJar

Well, it's high time to bring up the Louisiana Geocachers' Fall Campout 2003. Since not many of you have been in the weekly geocaching chats recently, we talked amongst ourselves with the people that were there and came up with what seems like the best plan. Now let's decide if it'll work.

The plan is to have the campout November 1, 2003, in the standard Louisiana geocaching campout coordinates. Does this sound like an acceptable idea? (Incidentally, the weekend of October 25 is in *no* way a possibility, since a major geocaching event is running that day, so don't bother suggesting that.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:

The plan is to have the campout November 1, 2003, in the standard Louisiana geocaching campout coordinates.

I'm all for being outside with good food and good company, so you can pretty much count Katie and I in pending any major malfunctions.

I wouldn't mind seeing a different location chosen, but like last time... don't have any better suggestions that would accommodate both the the "number" and "needs" of the masses. I've got a cache near there I need to check on anyway. icon_smile.gif

Any ideas as how to avoid the "roads vs. resources" issues? Perhaps a call to the ranger station for clarification/permits?

Lookin' forward to it!

alex

Where exactly are the standard coordinates for your events. I'm sure they're too far away from me but I'm curious none-the-less.

You guys ever gonna get a webpage up for yourselves? Message Board? Or do you already have something? I'm just curious because I live over here in MS and Northeast LA isn't that far away (I just have to drive 50 miles to cross a bridge).

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

Kisatchie near Alexandria. Event coordinates: N 31° 14.061 W 092° 36.526

Alex, do you want to try placing a call to the ranger station up there to find out what it takes to make use of the resources?

Once it's approved the cache will be visible as GCGYBV.

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:

Alex, do you want to try placing a call to the ranger station up there to find out what it takes to make use of the resources?

I tried today. Got a really wishy-washy answer from someone who didn't know exactly what I was talking about.

Q: I'm looking for someone who can give me information on camping at the Evangeline Camp.

A: Valentine Lake is closed. Camping is available at Kincaid Lake for $12 a night. It has electricity and running water.

Q: I'm talking about the Evangeline Camp, it's sorta near Kincaid Lake off the Wild Azalea trail. Do I need a permit or anything to camp there?

A: As long as you're so-many feet off the trail, you're OK.

Q: But do I need a permit?

A: No, you don't need a camping permit.

Q: Can I drive into the Evangeline Camp?

A: No, you cannot drive on the Wild Azalea trail.

Q: There's a small dirt road leading to Evangeline Camp. The camp is in a big open clearing. Boy Scouts camp there sometimes. Can I drive in or do I need a permit for that?

A: You shouldn't have a problem with that.

Me: Thank you very much for your time. (sigh)

I'm going to see if I can find a different number to call. icon_smile.gif I'd really like a face-to-face with an actual figure of authority, but don't think I can get near there during standard office hours to chat.

I really don't mind carrying the stuff in, I'd just like to know where we stand (or park) on that issue. It helps decide how much stuff to drag along.

I'll keep trying..

alex

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

I'd really like a face-to-face with an actual figure of authority, but don't think I can get near there during standard office hours to chat.

You don't need to... just drive up to Kisatchie, park in the clearing, and wait for the ranger to drop by.
quote:
I really don't mind carrying the stuff in, I'd just like to know where we stand (or park) on that issue. It helps decide how much stuff to drag along.
I tell you what... you can ride in my little red wagon (but the axle's broken and the wheels are saggin').

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

As aways, CajunRain and I will try to make it. As many of you know I tend to carry too much gear for a pack in so it will have to be a drive by for me. I could get by with a leanto and box bad_boy_a.gif of matches but mama wants to bring the house tongue.gif. As long as it dosen't rain access is easyenough. Last time I passed there a few months ago the little road to the area was blocked off sad.gif .A scout might come in handy to let us all know what the area is like beforehand.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

Well...

I was planning to come out of retirement and make the campout, to grace all you fine folks with my highly developed campfire culinary skills, but I have tickets for the LSU vs Ragin Cajuns game, and with the way LSU has been playing here latley, I intend to make every home game this season.. Of course things could always change..

But anyways... What kinda South Louisiana citizen in thier right mind would schedule a campout on the night of an LSU home game anyways??

Doooh... Sorry ClayJar...

icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

Buck8Who? icon_wink.gif

Glad to see you're still around. I was starting to get worried. I've definitely slowed down my geocaching habit, but I still get my fix on occasion. Don't see much activity from the old timers - you, clayjar, alex & katie, ronnie, geoff. I guess sabaharr is making up for all of us icon_smile.gif

Happy caching!

Russell

Okay, how about this...

All in favor of moving the campout one week later say "Aye!" (All opposed, say "Nay!")

I don't think it'll hurt anything to move it one week, and that's a bye week for LSU and a Sunday late game week for the Packers, so there shouldn't be any football conflicts here. It conflicts with the GGA meeting, but I haven't heard anything from any other GGA members about plans to attend, and I shouldn't be too missed back east. icon_wink.gif Oh, and the Saints have a bye week, too... just in case we have any masochists wanting to attend.

Anyway, let's take the voice vote now...

AYE!

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

[This message was edited by ClayJar on September 25, 2003 at 02:21 PM.]

I probably have to work the first three weekends in November, but I'll try to stop by and spend some time around the campfire at some point during the campout. I've been having major geocaching withdrawl, but things have been hectic lately. I'll talk to someone at work about getting a permit for at least one vehicle, so we can use the 'resource' to haul in gear. icon_smile.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

ForestFrog

I discovered geocaching through a good friend in Florida and really enjoy it. When I started, I found the cache information from the last campout and coundn't believe I had missed out! I was disappointed that I had missed the event and even contacted a few of; possibly you guys and the former LaGeocache webmaster/I think now in Arkansas to ask about it and when the next one was going to be.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this and can't see no reason we will not make it!! icon_cool.gif

Aye!!

Mark & Jenny

The campout is now officially scheduled for LSU's bye week, November 8, 2003.

Okay, so any bets on the weather. So far, we've had one campout with almost unabated rain and one campout with almost perfect conditions. Maybe I'll head out a day early to try to fend off the rain by daring the skies to rain one me... it seemed to work last campout. icon_biggrin.gif

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

Well...

I was planning to come out of retirement and make the campout, to grace all you fine folks with my highly developed campfire culinary skills, but I have tickets for the LSU vs Ragin Cajuns game

Now that should make for an interesting game considering the Cajuns don't have you scheduled at all. [icon_wink.gif] And might I add...thank goodness!

Yea, Rouge! Yea, Blanc! Yea, Cajuns! Allons!

Geaux Cajuns!

Well I know you all have been eagerly awaiting the reply from Cenlacouple so here it is.

We are going to do everything we can to make it as the last one was a blast. Well all except for the unfortunate Log to the groin incident but hey lets forget about that I am sure Alex would not want to dredge that memory up icon_smile.gif

Anyway I think that we should move the camp out to the Indian creek recreational area just south of Alexandria LA. There are good areas to camp out in for like 4 dollars a car I beleive. All campsites in the primitive area have roads that lead all the way to the campsite and though they look like what we were told were resources I assure you that they are perfectly legitimate roads icon_smile.gif There are restroom facilities at the park and by moving into the park we also eliminate the Hunter factor as November 8th is the second weekend of hunting season. If this is exceptable to everyoen let me know and I will get the specifics and get coordinates for percise location. I have to agree with a previous post I bring way to much stuff to be hicking in icon_smile.gif

Again can't wait for this campout and seeing all the friends we made at the last one as well as new friends that will come to this one.

quote:
Originally posted by katiem:

Now that should make for an interesting game considering the Cajuns don't have you scheduled at all. [icon_wink.gif] And might I add...thank goodness!

Geaux Cajuns!

Doooooh..

My bad Katie...

I get all the other LA schools mixed up now...

I wonder if Pizzachef will be there?

Thanks for the clarification...

That was pretty dumb of me anyways...

icon_biggrin.gif

Doug

Buck8Point

Hey Don...

Great hearin from yall..

Im surely game for the switch to Indian Creek.

Im kinda all for having The Rock nearby with all my stuff too.

Somebody needs to holler at JZ and see if he can paddle down the Mississippi and Join us.

Buck8point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

Somebody needs to holler at JZ and see if he can paddle down the Mississippi and Join us.

Hey Doug,

I "bumped" into Jamie earlier in the week at gc_chat (a rare appearance for me). I mentioned the fall campout and he was vaguely aware of it coming up. Too bad crawfish aren't in season... what do you think we could entice him with this time?

Russell

Hey everyone, we went out yesterday to hide our New Cache "Scooby Doo Where A You" and went out by Indian Creek Recreation area. and got the Coordinates for a really good site that was not far from the restrooms as the car drives in fact probly less then a 3/10ths of a mile. The Prices are a little more then I thought but still it is not bad considering that there will be a road all the way to the site it is off the beaten path but still near the restrooms and we will be supporting one of the best rec areas in Central Lousiana.

Prices are as follows:

$7.00 per night per tent

#3.00 per car per day for the single day come to visit folks or those that will be sharing a tent.

So as you can see the prices are not that bad and it is a huge area for me and Kerry to Hide our Second poker run in to make it a tad more challenging this time.

the Coordinates for the the campsite are

N 31* 07.629

W 092* 27.971

Coordinates for the Main gate of the park are

N 31* 07.262

W 092* 28.726

if you all should find that you would like to move it to Indian Creek Rec area please let me know and I will get more detailed directions to the park entrance from Interstate 49.

After looking at those coordinates Don posted, im ALL FOR THIS LOCATON.

We will be right by the water, which would be really nice, and heck we could even do a little fishin. Plus having bathrooms has got to appeal to the ladies..

Don whats the rules there on campfires?

will we need to bring in firewood or can we scrounge?

Could we potentially build a fire like say for a Cochon De Lait?

Alex and I are throwing around ideas for something big we can cook for the group for Sat evening. Ideas are welcome of course..

Doug

Buck8Point

Uh oh... I saw my name.

Did someone say something about crawfish?

I'm gonna see about making it down that way. I have to check again the dates. Not that I'm doing anything... but just in case.

As far as location, I'm open for anything. However, the old location just happens to be about five miles from an old friend of mine... If it were there again, I know I'd give her a call and see what she was doing that weekend.

Oh yeah, and I'm not coming until Buck posts the pics from the last campout. icon_razz.gif

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Oh yeah, and I'm not coming until Buck posts the pics from the last campout. icon_razz.gif

Jamie

Doooh...

Alright dangit, ill put them on my webserver tomorrow, and post a link here... So now you have NO EXCUSE....

Doug

Buck8Point

[This message was edited by Buck8Point on September 28, 2003 at 03:44 PM.]

I'm all for the Indian Creek area also. It clears up some of the "problems" of the other area, and adds the on-the-water factor. icon_wink.gif I've never actually camped there, but I've seen video and it looks nice. My only concern would be whether we could have nearly exclusive use of the area. I wouldn't want any muggles to be too close by as they might complain to the rangers about Buck8Point's snoring icon_wink.gif.

I'm really looking forward to it all. I came back yesterday from getting all but skunked fishing in Vermillion Bay. With all the little inside jokes getting pitched around in this thread, I was literally laughing out loud in a way that I haven't laughed since the last campout. I can't wait to do it all again... Except for maybe the log-to-groin thing. If I ever have a son (read: am still capable of...) I'm naming him Don. icon_smile.gif

Anybody contact Phil yet?

alex

I had forgotten about hunting season opening just before the campout. If we decide to keep it at Evangeline Camp, be aware that law enforcement will be out in force the first few weekends of hunting season. Should someone use the 'resource' without a permit, there probably won't be any warnings given, just a ticket with a hefty federal fine. Indian Creek has some great camp sites and is closed to hunting, so it may be our best bet this time around. I'm almost positive they allow campfires if you bring your own wood. Even if I can't stay the weekend, I'd be glad to drop off a truck load of firewood Friday night.

ForestFrog

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

I wouldn't want any muggles to be too close by as they might complain to the rangers about Buck8Point's snoring icon_wink.gif.

alex

Yea I bet after they smell what all were cookin, and hear all that laughter, they wont even remember my very light snoring..

I just tried phil's last known cell phone number, it is disconnected...

anyone else here heard from him latley?

Buck8Point

Yes fires are allowed and yes there is an area large enough there for a pig roast. You can take wood that is fallen such as limbs and such but as this is a rec area there is not much wood in the area.. I had planned to bring wood reguardless of where it is held and if someone could bring another truck load then we should have plenty of wood.

I say we go ahead and change it to Indian Creek on the cache page and since I live not far from Indian creek I am going to do everything I can to get out there and get the spot I gave Coordinates for because it is the biggest most out of the way campsite in the primitive area and provides us with the most privacy as well as having the most flat ground area for tent setting and parking. No matter what we have to eat make sure it goes with My world famous Camp beans and by world famous I mean that at least 3 of the people that have eatten them have traveled the world.

I also plan to go out early and set up a tent in the spot so that we are sured to get it. The bathroom thing in the primitive are has not yet been updated on the LA website for the park.. the restrooms in the primitive area have been added in just the last 2 years.. so do not fear when you read about the primitive area and no rest rooms.

will keep checking the website and get detailed directions to post to the main gate from I 49.

This sounds GREAT to me..

If we can get a good location like the coordinates Don posted, and can get a comittment of a couple truckloads of some good hardwood firewood, im all for Planning to do a Cochon de lait for the campout. If this is agreeable, there will also be a minimal cost for the fixins sperad out over everyone that eats.

I can coordinate procuring the needed fixins and hardware if this is agreeable.

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

So, the Indian Creek link didn't seem to work for me. Where is this place?

It's near Woodworth, LA. It's about 6-7 miles SE of the posted coordinates. Given the proximity of the new locaation to major roads (I49), it's probably a quicker drive than the other location regardless of which direction you're coming from. Unless, of course, you're coming from the other location. icon_smile.gif

Funny thing is.. Katie and I were planning on doing some camping up there in the next few weeks anyway. Will give me some time to check the place out and see if the fishing is any good...

alex

OK..

As promised....(JZ)

I have placed ALL my pics from the folowing La Campout events on my webserver for your enjoyment and parusal.

Louisiana Cacher's Cool Weather Campout

AND

LaG'ers Fantastic Fall Folly - FINALLY!

Now there is NO EXCUSE for you not making this one, so pack up your canoe and paddle, and extra hair brush, and come on down the Mississippi river and join us, in Passin a Good time. We all wanna hear all your adventurous stories from Key West Quest, and Costa Rica..

By the way folks if you havent already seen them, I posted Jz's pics from Key West Quest here also....

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

OK, CajunRain and I are in for the Couchon De Lait. I grew up a few miles from the CDL Capotol of the World and its been a long time since I have been to a good Boucherie too so this is something for me to look foreward to. The last CDL I attended was in Michigan while in the Army. We actually loaded all the fixings on to a C130 transport plane with our gear and had a cook out up there with the Yankees. After taking polite portions of the boudin, rice dressing, and other stuff they came back for several more LARGER helpings. How could you go wrong with a head cook named "SLAB" Bacon. That was decades ago and I am long overdue for another major dose of chlorestrol. We will probably take off Friday and get up there early this time. Setting up camp in the dark was a pain. See ya all there.

One more thing I forgot to Mention about the Old campsite and the Road/Resource. As luck would have it I happened to be out in that area a few days after our campout (for a reason that will make for at least one funny story this time out icon_smile.gif ) and they were as good as their word, The resource was Burmed with a 3 foot high wall of dirt.. so even if we had permission to drive in there, we could not do so.

I confirmed today that I will be able to get Thursday Nov 6th thru Monday the 10th off so I will be in a good position to get out early and researve the campsite, As it should be cool then and me and Kerry like camping anyway we will probly be out there Thursday to put up our tent, if we do not stay the night then we will surely be there Friday afternoon.

As far as the Pig Roast is concerned I am all in for that as well, the only downside to that is someone will have to stand vigil over the pig as it slow roasts saturday which might cut into someones Geo Caching time, but I am sure we will work it out, I plan to make a huge pot of my Camp beans as a side dish and will be glad to kick in extra for the pig.

PS Alex when are you and Katie planning to be down this way camping, perhaps me and Kerry can catch up with you all and visit for a few hours if nothing else?

I can't believe I've just come across this thread...I've been hanging from too many bridges. I've been waiting for someone to mention this topic, since the weather's so nice now. November 8 is a great date...and yea buck, I plan to be at the LaTech slaughter the weekend before...hey I like my school, but you can't overlook the obvious icon_wink.gif

So the Indian Creek campground this time? I'll see if I can get the law to follow me in again icon_razz.gif

Looking forward to a good ole Couchon de lait!! (I may be a bit rusty on my french)

now i've gotta remember all the stuff that i forgot to pack last time...

I can't wait for don to start calling me pizza hut again icon_biggrin.gif

-pizzachef

quote:
Originally posted by BR Jenkinson:

If we can get a good location like the coordinates Don posted, and can get a comittment of a couple truckloads of some good hardwood firewood, im all for Planning to do a Cochon de lait for the campout.

Hardwood = Oak, Cedar, and/or what else? I'm going to see if I can scrape some up. Maybe we'll get lucky and another hurricane will blow through here and uproot some more trees and the pre-cut oak will once again line the streets. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by NutBuster

PS Alex when are you and Katie planning to be down this way camping, perhaps me and Kerry can catch up with you all and visit for a few hours if nothing else?

We were considering this Saturday as a possibility. We've been wanting to check that place out for a while now. No set-in-stone plans yet. We'll probably be doing it on-the-fly. If not this weekend, then Nov. 1st at the earliest. Or Nov. 8th at the latest. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by papajohn

now i've gotta remember all the stuff that i forgot to pack last time...

Coffee? Maria? To leave the law at the door? icon_smile.gif

Now.. Where the heck is Phil?

alex

quote:
Hardwood = Oak, Cedar, and/or what else? I'm going to see if I can scrape some up. Maybe we'll get lucky and another hurricane will blow through here and uproot some more trees and the pre-cut oak will once again line the streets.

Oak and any kind of pecan/hickory works best. I have at least a truck load of round wood from a red oak I had cut back in February. The rest of the tree has been cut into 2-foot sections, but still needs to be split. If we run low on firewood, I'll gladly supply the axe, sledge, and wedges if someone will supply the labor! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

quote:
Now.. Where the heck is Phil?

I emailed Phil the campout information and he said he hoped he'd be able to make it. I'm sure we'll hear from him soon. After all, it wouldn't be an official geocaching campout without Petie retrieving the firewood for us! icon_smile.gif

ForestFrog

POOOOF!

Here I am. Back from the abyss. Thanks for all the emails and ESPECIALLY not forgetting about me. I figured after my pass-out-face-first-behind-my-jeep maneuver, I would not be allowed back. But hey... we have all been there.

I hope I can talk Steph into making the trip. Her class load is heavy now. Petie is definately up for it. He has been working out a bit so no piece of firewood should get the best of him. I got him a fleece also, so he should stay nice and warm.

I have been nose down for awhile. I found a few caches up here. Some really beautiful places to hide and find geocaches. I HIGHLY recommend the CADRON CREEK hides if anyone gets up here. I live in Benton, AR. just outside of Little Rock if anyone is up this way and needs to crash out.

I have been training alot for an upcoming Adventure Race. Geocaching has fell off for me as of late. I was up in Chicago a couple weeks ago and let me tell you, I was in a park in one of the Burbs up there and the mosquitoes nearly carried me off. I thought for S-U-R-E I made a wrong turn and was in the Atchafalaya Basin.

Let it be known, DOUG was the first to make a paddling joke... icon_cool.gif

DOUG:

"Somebody needs to holler at JZ and see if he can paddle down the Mississippi and Join us."

icon_biggrin.gif

Place 'em if you got 'em.

quote:
Originally posted by halfofthem's:

Coffee? Maria? To leave the law at the door? icon_smile.gif

alex

Hey, I remembered the coffee last time! And I shant be leaving home without it this time either...Maria won't be able to attend, she's serving another year with Americorps in Baltimore, and, well, the law will only show up when it's not on your side...words to live by icon_wink.gif

-pizzachef

-pizzachef

ok lets try to get a rough head count on folks that want to participate in the Cochon de lait.

I will need to know an approximate number so that I'll know how large of a roasting pig to get, and so i can roughly figure a per head cost.

I will handle getting:

the Pig all seasonings & the Rig.

I will need people to handle getting the following:

HARDWOOD Split and whole logs (oak, hickory, pecan, etc..) NOT aromatic woods like cedar, cypress, pine, or tupelo gum.... icon_biggrin.gif

The pig will take between 8-14 hours to roast properly so we will need lots of good hardwood

(a Couple good truck loads at least) for the coals. Plus any campfires we wanna have as well..

Side Dishes:

Don has already vowed to cook his infamous camp beans that were made famous in the movie Blazing Saddles, so anyone with any good ideas to add to the "Feast on the Beast" will be greatly welcomed.

Folding Tables:

We will need a big sturdy table to set the Beast out on and prepare for people to eat, and some tables to eat on as well, so i'll need a committment on at least one for the Beast and fixins.

BEER

No traditional cochon de lait can be complete without LOTS of BEER for the cooks, and the firetenders that stay up all night long lovingly roasting the Beast so please think about bringin a case or 2 of your favorite icy suds along for this one.

Please make sure and bring a good healthy appatite, and a sense of humor along too..

Cuz we are gonna pass us a good time chere..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

[This message was edited by Buck8Point on October 02, 2003 at 08:29 PM.]

I should be able to whip up a couple of cases of beer. If I can figure out how to transport it, a side item as well. It's a little early in the game to be sure if I'm going to be attending alone, or with friends. I'll let y'all know as soon as I find out for sure.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]