Palindrome caches

CheekyBrit

I'm setting up a palindrome cache for palindrome day (02.02.2020). It's great because it works in the US date format and the format the rest of the entire world uses. 
I'll set it up as a multi or unknown cache and it'll have coordinates like: N42°53.221' W112°23.524' so the numbers 425322111223524 read the same forwards as backwards, just like the date.

What are you doing for palindrome day?

Or have you ever seen any other palindrome caches

27 minutes ago, CheekyBrit said:

I'm setting up a palindrome cache for palindrome day (02.02.2020). It's great because it works in the US date format and the format the rest of the entire world uses. 
I'll set it up as a multi or unknown cache and it'll have coordinates like: N42°53.221' W112°23.524' so the numbers 425322111223524 read the same forwards as backwards, just like the date.

Here’s another with palindromic coordinates:  https://coord.info/GCR64G

I thought there was a thread about this, but I must be remembering wrong.  I’ve only found some threads about cache titles.

1 hour ago, CheekyBrit said:

Looks as though your proposed  coordinates are on private land.  Probably OK for the virtual coordinates for a Puzzle, but not sure how you could work that into a multi without permission.

A pro tip I stumbled on for finding palindrome coordinates is to looks for confluence points.  You can play around with lots of numbers when you have trailing zeros to replace.  Looks like the nearest confluence point to your proposed location was Archived due to it being on Tribal Lands without permission:

https://coord.info/GC5749

Just playing around with some numbers, using that confluence point as a start, I came up with a set of coordinates that appears to have public access along Interstate 15, 28 miles South of Pocatello (N 42° 30.121 W 112° 10.324 ).

2 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

If anyone is interested I have Python code to find all palindromic coordinates with 10 km of a given point.  To use it you will need Python 3.

Would that typically produce a lot of such way points?  Looking at just a couple of these caches, it seems like there would be many for any starting point, which is good, because of few being viable cache spots.

But I didn’t actually run the numbers. :cute:

47 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Would that typically produce a lot of such way points?  Looking at just a couple of these caches, it seems like there would be many for any starting point, which is good, because of few being viable cache spots.

But I didn’t actually run the numbers. :cute:

Usually around 15 or so in the nearest 10 km.  They form diagonal lines on the map.  For example, the "right" answer for GC7QFKA is actually not the closest such point, but the second-closest.

17 hours ago, Korichnovui said:

Oh no! That is a total spoiler.... I could solve this difficulty 5 cache in less than 5 minutes.

I think we shouldn't list mysteries here where it's part of the riddle to find out about the palindrome.

So please delete the post or the link as I have done here. I am sure the owner does not wnant his cache to be spoiled!

2 minutes ago, frostengel said:

Oh no! That is a total spoiler.... I could solve this difficulty 5 cache in less than 5 minutes.

I think we shouldn't list mysteries here where it's part of the riddle to find out about the palindrome.

So please delete the post or the link as I have done here. I am sure the owner does not wnant his cache to be spoiled!

I'm sure he won't mind. The person who posted that is named as the CO.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, frostengel said:

Yes, thank you for your concern but it is my cache, I don’t mind the spoiler, it would still take a really significant effort for a visitor to get the cache, I just couldn’t resist sharing my efforts on this topic.

16 hours ago, K13 said:

I'm sure he won't mind. The person who posted that is named as the CO.

12 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

Yes, thank you for your concern but it is my cache, I don’t mind the spoiler

Thank you to both of you. I know so many cachers who don't mind giving away coordinates and solutions as they do not like unknown caches so I am a little parnoid. :-\

I may be visiting the USA this year but I am afraid this is not the place where we will go. Your country is so big... :-)

• Upvote 1