Unknown logs

Auggie_

Hi everyone

I have a trackable patch that I bought to hang on my backpack so people can log it when they see me. 

But I haven't used it yet, so it just sits in a box at home for now.

The past two days people have been logging my patch and it does not make sense.

Any idea how this is possible or why this is happening?

Love

Auggie

Edited by Auggie_
7 minutes ago, Auggie_ said:

Hi everyone

I have a trackable patch that I bought to hang on my backpack so people can log it when they see me. 

Love

Auggie

You might be interested in this thread:

7 hours ago, Auggie_ said:

Curious... did you activate it ?      Thanks.  :)

- Some are claiming that others are activating their brand-new trackables, but haven't found anyone who that's happened too yet.

8 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

- Some are claiming that others are activating their brand-new trackables, but haven't found anyone who that's happened too yet.

I'm slightly alarmed by this thread, because I have a big box of unactivated Trackables.  Un-researched ones... I haven't tested those numbers to see if any were hijacked, which would need to be done manually to ever know.  If I ever sell one (or give it away as a "prize"), it will then be important to know if some random loser previously "activated" it by its number that he hacked.  Which could happen tomorrow after I check them all today.  And once in a while more than one Trackable has the same number, due to issues at the factory. 

28 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Curious... did you activate it ?  

I would think it must have been activated by the OP, or else the OP wouldn't even see the logs.

Decals and patches seem to have some issues with duplicate numbers or numbers that are typos. It is possible that more than one cacher has a patch with that same number. The problem with “Discoveries” is that there seems to be no logging etiquette to declare exactly when or where on a trail one “Discovered” the item.

What the OP may do if the “Discoveries” become a problem, is to change the TB page to a read-only information page about the patch, and then lock the TB. On that page, request some cool Email or Messages when people see the patch.  I have a "cache card" with similar issues, a mass of empty uninteresting non-specific "Discover" logs.  I might lock it and let people know I can unlock it in specific cases for their cool log.  Which would be a human-typed story log of the real Discovery, photos, the works. B)

That's not the ideal way to set up a TB, but it's OK for a patch. If it was a TB traveling into and out of cache containers, while locked and having no way to log it, that begins to really confuse Finders.

Edited by kunarion
5 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I'm slightly alarmed by this thread, because I have a big box of unactivated Trackables.  Un-researched ones... I haven't tested those numbers to see if any were hijacked, which would need to be done manually to ever know.  If I ever sell one (or give it away as a "prize"), it will then be important to know if some random loser previously "activated" it by its number that he hacked.  Which could happen tomorrow after I check them all today.  And once in a while more than one Trackable has the same number, due to issues at the factory. 

To be clear, it was in another thread, and not  by  me...

We still have a box n a half of unactivated sig coins I put in caches as swag

The other 2/3rds almost that (and still deleting finds on activated..).

Plus I have two unactivated sets of the Appalachian Trail series, and a couple other pieces.

I'd want my money back if someone else now owns them...

Just now, cerberus1 said:

Yeah… Duh moments...   :cute:

Or, the OP may be typing the tracking code.

I've occasionally placed some unactivated items into caches as surprises (like on a Milestone).  I wish I had made a note of all the codes, so someday I could go see what became of them.  But I forgot to do that.  OK, I didn't realize that people finding and taking a nice unactivated Geocoin would fail to even mention it. :ph34r: