D vs T

Spesbona

In my opinion, asking someone for the final coordinates for a difficult puzzle, is the same as asking someone to sign your name in a logsheet up a mountain while you are sitting at the bottom.  

Why does it seem morally more acceptable to do the former.  I often see logs where people "proudly" claim that they did not solve the puzzle, but logged the cache while in the company of someone who solved it.  But very seldom see a log where someone claimed that a third party did the difficult terrain for them.

Is there grey areas?  Maybe fine to ask for a hint when you are stuck, but not so much to just ask for the final answer.

I am not judging, just interested in an honest discussion how people feel about this.  Even if the answer is "It does not bother me what other people do".

14 minutes ago, Spesbona said:

In my opinion, asking someone for the final coordinates for a difficult puzzle, is the same as asking someone to sign your name in a logsheet up a mountain while you are sitting at the bottom.  

Why does it seem morally more acceptable to do the former.  I often see logs where people "proudly" claim that they did not solve the puzzle, but logged the cache while in the company of someone who solved it.  But very seldom see a log where someone claimed that a third party did the difficult terrain for them.

Is there grey areas?  Maybe fine to ask for a hint when you are stuck, but not so much to just ask for the final answer.

I am not judging, just interested in an honest discussion how people feel about this.  Even if the answer is "It does not bother me what other people do".

It bothers me and I see it in my area. I've seen evidence of a geocacher going down the list of people who have logged a find on a puzzle and asking for the final coordinates because, "I'm tired of working on it". Even after I personally helped them over and over, step by step.  I've also personally seen people sign the log with the name of someone who wasn't there, who then claimed a find. 

I agree that there does seem to be a little more acceptance over this questionable activity between D and T. Good observation!

Edited by Max and 99

This will be interesting. There is a line somewhere that people will draw for themselves and it will be different die everyone. Some examples:

Let's say a group are out caching and get to a cache on a road sign that is just out of reach. One person jumps on the back of the second to retrieve the cache. I am sure that everyone in the group will sign the log (me included). Then the group gets to a tree with a cache  high up and one climbs the tree. All sign? Then they get into a car and stop at the bottom of a hill. Only a few walk up. All sign?  After that they drive to the start of a 3 km hike. Only some hike. Who signs? The next stop is at the bottom of Koffiebus. Some climb and some not. Also someone got up early in the morning and packed the sandwiches for the trip. Can they sign?

Each person will draw their line somewhere. 

From a personal point of view the above is the reason we prefer caching alone. 

• Upvote 2

We are a team of three. We have brains, brawn and stamina. One is really good at solving word puzzles, one is great with math and one that loves physical puzzles. We also agree with caching in bigger groups makes it a bit boring and more of a numbers game. Many times we have waited while others sign.

For those that know me can understand that in the rules of GC it states that we must not disturb nature or break trees etc thus the reason I don’t climb the trees(just a funny). 
As time goes on we realize the effort that is put into hiding and creating amazing caches and only when we have tried and tried and tried to solve will we ask for a hint. 
Guess it’s how you choose to adventure. Just want to say thank you to all the hiders because with out your brilliant and creative minds, we would not be able to continue with this awesome adventure.

in summary I agree with not giving out final coordinates, I also feel that the goal is to get your cache found. Me personally would hate for someone to stop their adventure because it is too difficult for them. We all started somewhere.

On 1/26/2020 at 7:49 AM, ChrisDen said:

This will be interesting. There is a line somewhere that people will draw for themselves and it will be different die everyone. Some examples:

Let's say a group are out caching and get to a cache on a road sign that is just out of reach. One person jumps on the back of the second to retrieve the cache. I am sure that everyone in the group will sign the log (me included). Then the group gets to a tree with a cache  high up and one climbs the tree. All sign? Then they get into a car and stop at the bottom of a hill. Only a few walk up. All sign?  After that they drive to the start of a 3 km hike. Only some hike. Who signs? The next stop is at the bottom of Koffiebus. Some climb and some not. Also someone got up early in the morning and packed the sandwiches for the trip. Can they sign?

Each person will draw their line somewhere. 

From a personal point of view the above is the reason we prefer caching alone. 

I also prefer to cache alone and I totally agree with you and Spesbona.