Logs, Best wording, premade, printable, Design Suggestions.

pscwmoms

Just bought 500 sheets of Rite in the rain paper now to print the logs.

Best wording?  Is there a standard?

Suggestions, my old one are more toward the GPS unit now Phones seem to rule.

Look at putting the Rite in the rain logo on it too. I sell preforms with logs, so for me and the game I'd like a good log.    :)

59 minutes ago, pscwmoms said:

Look at putting the Rite in the rain logo on it too. I sell preforms with logs, so for me and the game I'd like a good log.    :)

That depends on how much room you have to print, and other things.  I don't know about licensing logos, I make my own logos. :P

The whole text is here:   https://www.geocaching.com/play/hide/en-us/small-note

I shortened it to this for my 50ML Mico tubes:

OFFICIAL

GEOCACHE

Congratulations,
you've found it!
(Intentionally or not)

This is part of a worldwide game loved by GPS users on the Internet.  It's like a scavenger hunt. A person hides a "treasure" (this container), and publishes the coordinates so other GPS users can try to find it. 

Initial/sign and date this log sheet.

IF YOU FOUND THIS CONTAINER BY ACCIDENT:  Great! You can join in with us!  We only ask, please don't vandalize or move the container.

Visit our website if you want to learn more, or have any comments: 
www.geocaching.com 

That's compact enough to print directly onto my log sheets:

geocache-Ducky-Tube1b.jpg

And often I instead use this text on a small sticker on even my tiniest log books:

Geocaching Log Book

You found it!
Please sign this log and hide the container in its spot.
www.geocaching.com

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, pscwmoms said:

Other than the ones that come from shop geocaching, we've yet to see anything other than a spot for FTF, and lines on any cache log.  :)

Curious how a log could be GPS specific.  Please explain.  Thanks.

You're selling them but looking for competitors (if there's another log-selling company...)  to get their designs  ?

The extra log sheets that I print use the following text. They also include space for the name and GC code of the cache. Most of the log sheet is taken up with blank lines where finders can sign.

GEOCACHING

Congratulations! You found an official geocache!

Geocaching is a high-tech scavenger hunt where players (geocachers) use GPS to find hidden containers (like this one). The basic rules are:

1. Sign and date the log sheet.
2. Trade items if you want to, just remember to leave something of equal or greater value.
3. Re-hide the container exactly where and how you found it.

Please re-seal the container carefully so it stays weather-proof. Do not leave anything edible, dangerous, or illegal.

If you find something labeled “Trackable at Geocaching.com”, then it’s best to leave it in the geocache unless you know what to do with it.

To join us, or to learn more, visit

www.geocaching.com

If this container happens to be on private property and you wish it removed, then please let us know. We apologize, and will be happy to move it.

• Helpful 1
11 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We use our own too.   :)    I'd be careful of using another's logo without asking when altering their product (cut to fit).

In these Micros, I tend to not have the real estate to print a whole lot of anything but the lines.  Or the added text makes some boxes smaller, and those boxes tend to get skipped when signed.  I didn't expect that.

But I am thinking about how the log sheet shows through a transparent tube.  I might print at least the cache identification "Geocaching Label" on both ends of a rolled sheet, so it's on display when placed into the tube.  If I make something, I'll post it in a thread someplace.

Edited by kunarion
2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

But I am thinking about how the log sheet shows through a transparent tube.  I might print at least the cache identification "Geocaching La If I make something, I'll post it in a thread someplace.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the OP, and the use of Rite in Rain's logo on an altered (cut) product.      :)   

I'd think the site would be happy if any part of their "cache ID" was inside whatever size container.

Just now, cerberus1 said:

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the OP, and the use of Rite in Rain's logo on an altered (cut) product.      :)   

I'd think the site would be happy if any part of their "cache ID" was inside whatever size container.

You're right, I kind of switched gears there. B)

I have no idea about Rite In Rain and their logo.  Geocaching.com has some restrictions, and rather than wade through the requirements (um,  rather than comply with any requirements), I use logos I built myself, and comply with my own requirements.  The "public domain" logo is dog ugly not suitable for my projects, plus I usually re-make my own logo to match some theme.

But if you deviate too far from The Logo, that can begin to confuse finders.  So there's a balance.

Thank you for all the suggestions. 

I get 3 log sheets from a 11 x 8.5 sheet, my tubes are the 1.5 oz or 5.5 inches long. My old log is good but says GPS new log will say and smart phone.

This is what I have so far, yes copied from other.  I have a good size space and the back of the log is all lines.  Lines seem to help.

Sometimes I add a number you 1, 2, 3, so you know if you 20th person to sign the paper log, seem to help people keep to the space provided.   I DO LIKE no food.

Here's photo of my old log on the tan R in R paper.  And the logo for the paper, if a cacher knows it's "rite in the rain" I hope they would not throw it out as fast. We dry logs on the hood of the car if we can.

GEOCACHING

Congratulations, you've found it!

(Intentionally or not!)

It's part of a worldwide game loved by Smart Phone &GPS (Global Positioning System) users who are on the Internet.  It's like a scavenger hunt, it's called ‘Geocaching.’

a GPS or smart phone user hides a "treasure" (this container), and publishes the

exact coordinates so others can come on a "treasure hunt" to find it. Just 2 Rules!  If you take an item, leave something too (but nothing illegal or harmful), and please sign the log. Then go on line write about your visit in the on line 'log book' for this cache.

IF YOU FOUND THIS CONTAINER BY ACCIDENT:

Great! You can join in with us! We only ask: •

Please don't move or vandalize the container. The real fun is just finding it and recording a visit. Go ahead and take something if you like. But also leave something too. And let us know you found this by visiting the website below. The GPS/Smart phone Hunt is for everyone with a sense of adventure. There are millions of them around the world. Visit our website if you want to learn more, or have any comments:

www.geocaching.com

VISITORS:                         DATE:

oldlog.jpg

riteinrain.png

19 hours ago, kunarion said:

That depends on how much room you have to print, and other things.  I don't know about licensing logos, I make my own logos. :P

The whole text is here:   https://www.geocaching.com/play/hide/en-us/small-note

I shortened it to this for my 50ML Mico tubes:

This helps, I looked up the link you listed and the wording is the newest I have seen.

I love the geocaching web site but for me some things are hard to find.

I like the wording and it has a geocaching logo. I created a geo-art in Southeast Missouri I need to use our club logo and the eagle on it. I unique log would be nice for the 69 caches but it does not get a lot of play.  It's to time consuming, for hunter and physically demanding.  I need to post on geo art were would it go in the forum?

Thanks a gain for the help you and other who replied.  :)

On 1/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, pscwmoms said:

I created a geo-art in Southeast Missouri I need to use our club logo and the eagle on it. I unique log would be nice for the 69 caches but it does not get a lot of play.

I make a unique log for every cache, often themed.  Micro or not.  I print on ordinary paper, inkjet printer, and change the log when it's getting worn out or full or moldy.  I make stickers for log books, such as the "Southeastern Atlantic Tree Octopus" logo for the cover of its log book.  If I had a trail of caches, I'd also make themed log sheets, maybe not individual designs.

IMG_E3439[1].jpg

On 1/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, pscwmoms said:

I need to post on geo art were would it go in the forum?

If it's a general "geo art" post, maybe make a thread here?

Edited by kunarion
On 1/26/2020 at 12:40 AM, pscwmoms said:

loved by Smart Phone &GPS (Global Positioning System) users

On 1/26/2020 at 12:40 AM, pscwmoms said:

a GPS or smart phone user hides a "treasure"

It hurts :rolleyes: that you treat "smart phone user" as if they don't know (or need to know) that their smartphone is certainly also utilizing GPS.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Hynz said:

It hurts :rolleyes: that you treat "smart phone user" as if they don't know (or need to know) that their smartphone is certainly also utilizing GPS.

Until I saw the OP's amendment, it didn't even occur to me that that there could be confusion.  Even a "smart phone user" is a "GPS user".  But if they don't realize that they could use most any phone that they already have, that info is helpful.  Except that you don't see that sheet until after you find the cache. B)

Edited by kunarion

Yes, you all are right GPS and Smart phone use GPS,  I know I'm hung up on the GPS Units being more accurate.  I use them at my work and we have sub meter units, and I feel hand held are better? But even Garmin look not to making hand helds....... 

One of my fellow cacher told me the NEWer phones have better GPS chips so they will be improving.     So your right it' "GPS" use.   It's all getting better :)

1 hour ago, pscwmoms said:

Yes, you all are right GPS and Smart phone use GPS,  I know I'm hung up on the GPS Units being more accurate. 

I use them at my work and we have sub meter units, and I feel hand held are better? But even Garmin look not to making hand helds....... 

One of my fellow cacher told me the NEWer phones have better GPS chips so they will be improving.     So your right it' "GPS" use.   It's all getting better :)

Civilian GPS itself is only "accurate" to around ten feet on a good day.  That hasn't changed in twenty years...     :)

It doesn't "change" if it's a modern phone or a handheld GPSr either.   

Agricultural and surveying units are much better (we saw one that costs more than my first home...) but not the norm in this hobby.   ;)

Garmin's latest handhelds, the 700 and 66 series haven't been out long enough to say they're no longer "making handhelds".

They come out with newer models when it fits,  seems every-other to a couple of years.

Edited by cerberus1