Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Seeker_Knight

Old Geocacher needs help!

Recommended Posts

I need help to maintain my cache that was created many years ago. It is named "Stairway to Cache".
My health took a bad turn a while back (heart problems, stents, bypass, hospital stays etc, etc, etc),  but this cache is worth saving. It is located in a public park, so you can imagine the amount of work it took to get the original permission to place it where it is. I actually had to attend hearings to do this, but finally got the letter or permission.

My daughter and I loved this sport and went out every chance we could when she was younger. She has been out of country and then out of State for several years for her education. This is another reason I want to keep the cache, and keep it well maintained. I would ask my Daughter, but she is now a Doctor and has very limited time for any type of activities. I have ordered a new box of higher quality, as well as a number of trackables and a new log. I only need some energetic young person to go make the swap, so I can edit the listing. Please contact me if you live near Edgewood, Maryland,21040  and can help. I will be glad to reimburse you for time and gas.

Thank You!

The old "Seeker_Knight"

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

I see you put out a notice on your cache listing. That might do the trick.

Another approach I've seen work is to review the logs, and to contact people who indicated that the cache was somehow special to them. For example, the FTF, or someone for whom it was their first find.

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Good suggestions have been given, especially contacting finders who liked the cache (and are local).  I've seen a few caches where the owner has just posted a note on the cache page asking for potential adopters, which is unfortunately probably not going to be seen by the folk who have already found the cache !

 

I'll add a suggestion that you could post a note on any new cache which may be published in the area,. That will be seen by currently active cachers.

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Some good ideas. The new container etc should be coming this week. Thank you for the suggestions. This box should hold up a while. This was my first cache and I never expected it to last so long. Since 2009. My kid whom I used to go cache hunting with is now a doctor. :)

1 box.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Curious, and I don't mean to be the wet blanket, but what if you don't get someone to "make the swap" ?

If that person is going to be saddled with doing maintenance for you too (there's a reason you aren't just replacing it yourself...), or you're going to have to start another thread for maintenance (which is your responsibility...) why not simply offer it up for Adoption if it's in a nice spot ?    :)

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 3:37 PM, Seeker_Knight said:

I need help to maintain my cache that was created many years ago. It is named "Stairway to Cache".
My health took a bad turn a while back (heart problems, stents, bypass, hospital stays etc, etc, etc),  but this cache is worth saving. It is located in a public park, so you can imagine the amount of work it took to get the original permission to place it where it is. I actually had to attend hearings to do this, but finally got the letter or permission.

My daughter and I loved this sport and went out every chance we could when she was younger. She has been out of country and then out of State for several years for her education. This is another reason I want to keep the cache, and keep it well maintained. I would ask my Daughter, but she is now a Doctor and has very limited time for any type of activities. I have ordered a new box of higher quality, as well as a number of trackables and a new log. I only need some energetic young person to go make the swap, so I can edit the listing. Please contact me if you live near Edgewood, Maryland,21040  and can help. I will be glad to reimburse you for time and gas.

Thank You!

The old "Seeker_Knight"

 

I'm so sorry for your health problems and understand why you want to keep your cache active because of nice memories geocaching with your daughter when she was little. I hope you can find someone to help you out. If I lived in your area...I definitely would help maintain it. We had a cacher ask us to help him out or adopt his cache but it's in another town and we want to keep our finds in one town so we can maintain them easily. Good luck! Can you keep us updated? I would love to know how everything worked out for you!

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 6:45 AM, Seeker_Knight said:

Some good ideas. The new container etc should be coming this week. Thank you for the suggestions. This box should hold up a while. This was my first cache and I never expected it to last so long. Since 2009. My kid whom I used to go cache hunting with is now a doctor. :)

1 box.jpg

 

 

We have two of these!  Survivor dry boxe with a built in compass and 0 ring seal. We have a small and large for our cache hides.  Never had a problem, everything stays dry inside and the out side still looks brand new. Great for under water cache hides.  They hold lots of neat swag. The only problem is they are so cool looking that a muggle, if found, will take it! Happened to us once already. Hide it well! I like them better than amos. Here's our small size:

 

 

underthe grass.jpg

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks to everyone who replied. I got a visit from my daughter today. We are going out this week, as soon as the new log arrives to take the replacement out. I'll probably have it reactivated within the week. Lots of cool goodies to put in it too.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/26/2020 at 5:13 AM, HunterandSamuel said:

 

 

We have two of these!  Survivor dry boxe with a built in compass and 0 ring seal. We have a small and large for our cache hides.  Never had a problem, everything stays dry inside and the out side still looks brand new. Great for under water cache hides.  They hold lots of neat swag. The only problem is they are so cool looking that a muggle, if found, will take it! Happened to us once already. Hide it well! I like them better than amos. Here's our small size:

 

 

underthe grass.jpg

One way to make them less attractive to muggles is to spray paint them.  Sometimes I add some dirt, sand, leaves, etc to the still-wet paint.

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, NanCycle said:

One way to make them less attractive to muggles is to spray paint them.  Sometimes I add some dirt, sand, leaves, etc to the still-wet paint.

That's a great idea! Thanks. We covered it with fake grass (a realistic grass rug with drainage holes). The name of the hide is: Please Keep Off The Grass!

 

 

cacheideas1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/27/2020 at 12:11 AM, Seeker_Knight said:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I got a visit from my daughter today. We are going out this week, as soon as the new log arrives to take the replacement out. I'll probably have it reactivated within the week. Lots of cool goodies to put in it too.

 

Did you hide it? Here where I live we use the word "plant" a cache. Good luck! 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/26/2020 at 7:13 AM, HunterandSamuel said:

We have two of these!  Survivor dry boxe with a built in compass and 0 ring seal. We have a small and large for our cache hides.  Never had a problem, everything stays dry inside and the out side still looks brand new. Great for under water cache hides.  They hold lots of neat swag. The only problem is they are so cool looking that a muggle, if found, will take it! Happened to us once already. Hide it well! I like them better than amos. Here's our small size:

 

I stopped using boat boxes (or even the cool little sunglass or cigarette cases) because the contents get soaked.  Debris gets caught in the seal and sticks there.  The cost of the boxes is so comparable to Ammo Boxes, I use the expensive plastic boat boxes to store my Geocaching items instead :cute:

 

But I haven't tried Astroturf fake grass as an additional cover, and if it doesn't collect condensation, a cover like that might help keep the contents clean and dry.  I'll experiment with that!  Around here, you may find a cool real snake under there along with that fake one!  ^_^

 

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, kunarion said:

But I haven't tried Astroturf fake grass as an additional cover, and if it doesn't collect condensation, a cover like that might help keep the contents clean and dry.  I'll experiment with that!  Around here, you may find a cool real snake under there along with that fake one!  ^_^

 

 

LOL This is true (about the real snake)! We place a ground cover underneath the cache (weed preventer material for outdoors) to help keep it clean and the fake grass rug is actually an outdoor portable dog potty rug for owners to place on their deck or patio. Great for urban dog owners.  It's very durable, mildew resistance, and like I mentioned, has drainage holes. It's in excellent shape still. We do shake it out when we go around maintaining the caches. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

 

LOL This is true (about the real snake)! We place a ground cover underneath the cache (weed preventer material for outdoors) to help keep it clean and the fake grass rug is actually an outdoor portable dog potty rug for owners to place on their deck or patio. Great for urban dog owners.  It's very durable, mildew resistance, and like I mentioned, has drainage holes. It's in excellent shape still. We do shake it out when we go around maintaining the caches. 

 

I actually love to find a real snake!  But I don't want everycacher to get one.  Those guys aren't as appreciative. :P

 

Some of my caches, if they're covered or in a hole or crevice, get a little added bug killer for maintenance.  I sometimes use Sawyer Spray on the camo.  The spray dries, and leaves no odor, but no spider or ant can live in it.  I'm hoping a possum or snake will feel too uncomfortable to nest there, too, but you never know.  That's the fun of Geocaching... trying new ideas and seeing how they work!  And finding a really neat copperhead on my cache. :cute:

 

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I actually love to find a real snake!  But I don't want everycacher to get one.

 

 

A friend said if she found my cache with the snake...that would be the end of geocaching. lol 

 

 

3 minutes ago, kunarion said:

ome of my caches, if they're covered or in a hole or crevice, get a little added bug killer for maintenance.  I sometimes use Sawyer Spray on the camo.  The spray dries, and leaves no odor, but no spider or ant can live in it. 

 

 

I use an organic bug spray to keep away the bugs on two of my grass caches!  After a rainfall, respray. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

 

Did you hide it? Here where I live we use the word "plant" a cache. Good luck! 

Not yet...  I'm still losing my mind buying larger and larger containers, more trackables, more  swag and even a few premium items that I will put out one or two at a time. That way nobody will be tempted to be dishonest. I want to keep it fun, and not challenge the morality of every person who finds it. It would be like filling a cache full of real gold coins and expecting everyone to resist the temptation to clean it out. I"ll just leave that sick game to the Devil for now.
I'm getting close, but still waiting for a few slow shipping items to arrive. I have to get on this soon, as I found out I am going to be a Grand-pappy in early summer, so I don't want my daughter waddling around in the woods to place a cache for me.

BTW - The Seahorse brand of waterproof boxes arrived (Waterproof, NOT Water Resistant) are super tough and super high quality. I have 3 different sizes, with each one nicer than the others. They are even tested to Military Specifications, and one big guy posted a photo of his considerable sized self standing on one of them.  Can't wait to see how long they hold up. I also got the new water-resistant log books, and ordered some custom pencils as swag. Gonna be one awesome cache when it goes public.

Seeker_Knight

Edited by Seeker_Knight
spelling/grammer I suck at it it seems
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, kunarion said:

no spider

Oh, they make great cache guardians. And fun to find and take their portrait. Most aren't poisonous. Just don't play with those that are. This one was guarding a cache and allowed me to take its picture.

Spider guardian.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Seeker_Knight said:

Not yet...  I'm still losing my mind buying larger and larger containers, more trackables, more  swag and even a few premium items that I will put out one or two at a time. That way nobody will be tempted to be dishonest. I want to keep it fun, and not challenge the morality of every person who finds it. It would be like filling a cache full of real gold coins and expecting everyone to resist the temptation to clean it out. I"ll just leave that sick game to the Devil for now.
I'm getting close, but still waiting for a few slow shipping items to arrive. I have to get on this soon, as I found out I am going to be a Grand-pappy in early summer, so I don't want my daughter waddling around in the woods to place a cache for me.

BTW - The Seahorse brand of waterproof boxes arrived (Waterproof, NOT Water Resistant) are super tough and super high quality. I have 3 different sizes, with each one nicer than the others. They are even tested to Military Specifications, and one big guy posted a photo of his considerable sized self standing on one of them.  Can't wait to see how long they hold up. I also got the new water-resistant log books, and ordered some custom pencils as swag. Gonna be one awesome cache when it goes public.

Seeker_Knight

 

 

Congratulations Grand-pappy! How exciting!  Every time I hide a cache...I get stressed out. It's not an easy task...the planning, finding a hiding spot, finding or making the right container, then hiding it and setting the coords. What I find most stressful is writing the message to the reviewer for her/him to decide to publish it and then sit back anxiously waiting for approval, worrying it won't be approved. I'm going to google the seahorse waterproof box. Sounds like a good solid cache container. I say...fill it up with swag and don't worry! The premium items you can add a little at a time. That's what I do. When I check up on my caches, I always bring more swag to replace the swag that was traded. Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Seeker_Knight said:

The Seahorse brand of waterproof boxes arrived 

 

I just took a look. I like the Seahorse micro. It's interesting in the clear color but black hides better. 

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

 

I just took a look. I like the Seahorse micro. It's interesting in the clear color but black hides better. 

I didn't know the clear existed. Mine is dark green, and the latches are different. The new ones have a latch and twist lock w/optional metal locks. You get a catalog when you order, and there is a lot of different stuff in that. Seems they are expanding their line. Sorry to go off topic so much, I'll just s*** up now

Seeker_Knight

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Seeker_Knight said:

I didn't know the clear existed. Mine is dark green, and the latches are different. The new ones have a latch and twist lock w/optional metal locks. You get a catalog when you order, and there is a lot of different stuff in that. Seems they are expanding their line. Sorry to go off topic so much, I'll just s*** up now

Seeker_Knight

 

Anyway, I'm really happy you can now maintain your beloved cache (on topic again!) and your daughter is helping. I get the feeling that she jumped started you and you now have the energy to go forward and seem really excited! I like the dark green, it will blend in better with the outdoors. 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×
×
  • Create New...