Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Max and 99

What's the logic of the Find Count for Lab Caches

1 hour ago, rustynails. said:

Rules state Adventure Lab should take 8 hours or less to complete. What Lab are you doing ? Why is it taking weeks ?

There is too much driving required between each stage and there's no way that the labs could be completed on foot or by public transport in that time.  I have treated each stage as a separate caching trip.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rustynails. said:

Rules state Adventure Lab should take 8 hours or less to complete. What Lab are you doing ? Why is it taking weeks ?

The latest update to the Builder Guide offers the following tip:

"Tip — Set up the Adventure so that all Locations can be visited within two (2) hours, ideally walkable."

Looks like this has been addressed by HQ. I found a 5-step adventure today; my total finds incremented by 1.

28 minutes ago, Old Bet said:

Looks like this has been addressed by HQ. I found a 5-step adventure today; my total finds incremented by 1.

Do you mean you completed all 5 stages of an Adventure Lab but your total find count only increased by 1?

If that's true, that's a very significant change and I'd be surprised if they rolled that out without at least a small announcement.

1 hour ago, Old Bet said:

Might want to wait a while.  Seems the two systems don't sync up very quickly.

I have :

Lab Cache Founds : 5

after doing one Lab Cache with 5 stages.

It indeed adds 5 to my Geocache Finds total. Quite weird.
Especially since this page

https://www.geocaching.com/play/request/adventurelab

says:

Geocaching HQ is offering qualified Premium members an opportunity to create an Adventure Lab experience with up to 5 Locations.

This suggests, to me, that I could create ONE cache with 5 WPs.

5 hours ago, BigFurryMonster said:

after doing one Lab Cache with 5 stages.

That's wrong. You're doing 1 AdventureLab containing 5 LabCaches.

• Surprised 1

4 hours ago, HHL said:

That's wrong. You're doing 1 AdventureLab containing 5 LabCaches.

So where do I write the logs for each of those 5 LabCaches?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

The easy way to get smileys is what puts me off ALs to be honest. I'm not into numbers, and doing an activity that clearly boosts finds just feels wrong to me. Hey, there's an AL in Amsterdam with 5 points within roughly 100m. Oh come on, seriously: What's the point! I would certainly do them more often if I only got one find per completed AL.

• Upvote 4
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I also don't understand how can we treat as separate "cache" writing a short answer in the question. Without any minimum distance between the points. This means we can have multiple rubbish-labs with 5 points to be answered without moving from that place (or possibly even from home with some gps spoofing tools)... Just to inflate someone stats.

I really like the idea of adventure labs as improved virtual Wherigo or just as virtual multicache, but it should be treated as one cache. According to the GC guidance, lab should be doable within 2 hours (preferably by foot). If someone prepares a lab which requires hundreds of kilometers of travel - fine, the person starting this lab knows it when looking into the map attached. If it was multi-cache, that would be still one catch. Lab is easier while it is virtual, no need to boost artificially the stats...

• Upvote 3

If you don't like it, don't do them. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Edited by Wacka
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Wacka said:

If you don't like it, don't do them. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Quite honestly, I think the concept is good. The execution is just not very well done. And one of those aspects is the inflated find numbers.

• Upvote 3

I think there'd be a lot less angst if the AL finds didn't insert themselves to the overall Find count of users. It used to have a more defined meaning, but now they're not "geocaching [listings] finds". Someone could have 10,000 finds in theory with 8000 being individual AL stages (or Lab Caches, either way).  It's that crossover metric that does affect the geocaching community. If it ddn't cross over, then ALs would be completely independent and their existence wouldn't bug nearly as many people :P

• Upvote 5