Columbia Disaster..Lets Help if we can..

Buck8Point

Im sure everyone was as shocked as I was this morning to learn of the tragic events regarding the breakup of the Space Shuttle Columbia on reentry over Texas.

Out hearts and feelings of grief truly go out to the families, and everyone involved in the Space Shuttle program.

How can we do out part to help?

There will no doubt be a huge search for shuttle parts, scorched shuttle debris, and even the remains of the 7 Brave Astronauts scatterd over a large swath of eastern Texas and possibly a small area of Western Central Louisiana.

This debris will not only be crutially important to the investigation of what caused this tracgic event, but will also help heal the wounds of the families, and people involved.

Here is a Radar Image of the suspected Debris Field. This is a huge area, which will most likely never fully be covered meticulously by searchers.

However we as Geocachers, regularly scour many of these same areas hunting caches, and are well equipped to document debris photographically, and take accurate coordinates, to forward to the proper authorities, for recovery.

Im certainly not advocating that we all go out and search for shuttle debris, but what im saying is that if we find ourselves cache hunting in those area, the we be aware, and keep an eye peeled for anything that might be out of place, and of interest to authorities.

Please unerstand due to the potential hazards of comming in direct contact with shuttle debris, all caution must be taken when stumbling across any debris.

If you think you have found a piece of Shuttle Debris, get a good waypoint, and if possible take pics, and then alert your local law enforcement agency with that important information to help with the recovery massive recovery effort.

Remember EVERY PIECE of the shuttle debris, no matter how small could potential be the piece of the massive puzzle that may solve the mystery of what happened. All pieces of debris are also government property and possession is prohibited by law, so PLEASE no souvenier hunters.

Lets try and do our part to help turn this national day of tragedy into a positive for our sport by helping out in the recovery proccess if we can.

Again.....DO NOT HANDLE Debris.

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

I think the cloud in the image is not the debris field, but rather the radar reflection from the smoke.

quote:
Originally posted by Buck8Point:

Im sure everyone was as shocked as I was this morning to learn of the tragic events regarding the breakup of the Space Shuttle Columbia on reentry over Texas.

Out hearts and feelings of grief truly go out to the families, and everyone involved in the Space Shuttle program.

How can we do out part to help?

There will no doubt be a huge search for shuttle parts, scorched shuttle debris, and even the remains of the 7 Brave Astronauts scatterd over a large swath of eastern Texas and possibly a small area of Western Central Louisiana.

This debris will not only be crutially important to the investigation of what caused this tracgic event, but will also help heal the wounds of the families, and people involved.

Here is a http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts107/030201columbia/radarimage.html of the suspected Debris Field. This is a huge area, which will most likely never fully be covered meticulously by searchers.

However we as Geocachers, regularly scour many of these same areas hunting caches, and are well equipped to document debris photographically, and take accurate coordinates, to forward to the proper authorities, for recovery.

Im certainly not advocating that we all go out and search for shuttle debris, but what im saying is that if we find ourselves cache hunting in those area, the we be aware, and keep an eye peeled for anything that might be out of place, and of interest to authorities.

Please unerstand due to the potential hazards of comming in direct contact with shuttle debris, all caution must be taken when stumbling across any debris.

If you think you have found a piece of Shuttle Debris, get a good waypoint, and if possible take pics, and then alert your local law enforcement agency with that important information to help with the recovery massive recovery effort.

Remember EVERY PIECE of the shuttle debris, no matter how small could potential be the piece of the massive puzzle that may solve the mystery of what happened. All pieces of debris are also government property and possession is prohibited by law, so PLEASE no souvenier hunters.

Lets try and do our part to help turn this national day of tragedy into a positive for our sport by helping out in the recovery proccess if we can.

Again.....DO NOT HANDLE Debris.

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

If you do find debris, there is a toll-free number you can call to report it. I got this number from CNN. 1-800-525-5555. You can also call 911, but in areas of significant debris, it might be better to call the 800 number, so as not to overwhelm the 911 system.

If you have the ability to rope it off, and can mark a waypoint so that you can give that info to the dispatcher, that would be helpful.

Shannah

It might be a good idea to pull some caches that may be in areas that will be checked... I'm afraid you could be seeing a number of missing caches down there. I bet there will be alot of metal detectors in the forests.

Not at all to minimize this disaster. God Bless the families and friends, may they find peace.

This is a more detailed Radar Image of the suspected debris trail, which I must agree with the previous post is most likely returns from smoke, vapor, and propellant residues which remained high in the atnosphere, than actual solid debris. This image does however seem to follow the actual trail of debris found on the ground more closely than the previous image.

Latest reports confirm the finding of actual human remains near Hemphill, Tx, and I saw a picture on the news of a emergency egress helmet burnt and sitting upright in a field. A very stark reminder of the sad human tragedy that occured.

According to reports, of actual debris so far, it looks like the main debris field runs from slightly north west of Nagadoches, TX on a roughly straight line southwest on the map thru Hemphill, TX and crossing the lower portion of Toledo Bend Resovior at the TX/LA border with debris also being found near Leesville, LA and the Fort Polk Area.

It would be interesting to hear from any TX and LA cachers in the area of the debris field, to hear of any of thier experiences.

Buck8Poin

Buck8Point

I was wondering if any Local Geocachers (Texas-Louisiana) were busy helping with the shutle debris location and recovery effort, or had any reports of debris sightings..

I just learned that ForestFrog (Who works for the US Forestry Service) will probably be going at some point.

I like to hear from any of you East Texas folks..

Mudfrog you out there buddy?

Buck8Point

Buck8Point