How to become a Voulanteer

MysteriouslyMyth

Here's an idea: you could help the community indirectly.

When the weather is nasty outside, I work on OpenStreetMap, adding trails and roads to the map, with special emphasis on those leading to interesting caches in the boondocks.  Over time, those trails/roads will show up right on the cache page, ready to help the next cacher avoid a bushwhack.

You could also host events.  That helps out the community in a social way.  B)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
1 minute ago, MysteriouslyMyth said:

Do they pick people randomly?

No, you're chosen based on achievement in the areas described in the Help Center article.

When I was chosen, I'd established a record of hiding good caches that met the guidelines.  I hosted the world's very first CITO Event.  I was active here in the forums, helping other geocachers by answering questions.  I was part of a group that negotiated a successful geocaching policy for an important land manager.  All of these things are qualities we look for when choosing new Reviewers from among the community.

• Helpful 3
  • Love 2
Just now, MysteriouslyMyth said:

What email?

Am I being pranked?  It sure feels like I'm being pranked. Someone is messing with me.

Have you been messaging me, or is it a complete coincidence that someone contacted me immediately after I posted on this thread, with questions about the email they received to become a reviewer.

1 minute ago, MysteriouslyMyth said:

I have not been messaging you.. I do not even know how. 

Well then I apologize. Immediately after I posted on this thread I was contacted by someone who received an email to become a reviewer. I mean right after I posted on this thread!!

Different name, and 0 finds/0 hides.

Apologies. It sounded incredibly similar! And the timing is so odd!

Just now, MysteriouslyMyth said:

That is very strange!! Maybe they where just looking for someone to contact and spotted you.

I've gotten a lot of completely random requests for help, which I LOVE doing!! But what a coincidence this one was. And I suspect that they created a new account, because of the email to become a reviewer, since the new account has zero finds and zero hides, closely resembling what you were told.  I suggested they contact Groundspeak for help.

4 hours ago, MysteriouslyMyth said:

So, do I just have to go around looking for geo's or what? haha

That would be a good start!

3 hours ago, MysteriouslyMyth said:

I have not been messaging you.. I do not even know how. 

Learning the ins and outs of the geocaching website, how to message other geocachers would also be a good skill to have.  

My guess is (and it's an educated guess, based on the Reveiwers I have personally dealt with and met in person) you need a LOT of experience (years!) and a good reputation that gets developed over the course of time.  You need to find a lot, hide a lot, host a lot, and generally, participate in all aspects of geocaching for a period of years and maintain good relationships with others in this hobby.

I'm just curious - what about being a Reviewer interests you?  With so little (apparent; you may have years of geocaching under another name but that doesn't appear to be the case) experience, why do you want to be a Reveiwer?

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
14 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

My guess is (and it's an educated guess, based on the Reveiwers I have personally dealt with and met in person) you need a LOT of experience (years!) and a good reputation that gets developed over the course of time.  You need to find a lot, hide a lot, host a lot, and generally, participate in all aspects of geocaching for a period of years and maintain good relationships with others in this hobby.

All good guesses, I'd say.:grin: