Uploading animated GIF issue

BarrickBebb

The cache with the id number of 7508622 is yours

https://coord.info/GC8HV4H

To load an image via the edit page, ie, drag and drop or browse,  " The image file must be less than 5 MB and in PNG, JPG, or GIF format."

I speculate that your Giff is simply too big? 

Though when I try to upload something too big to the edit upload on an owned cache, I get an red error message about the image size, not a 404 error

14 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I'd like to know how to add a gif to a forum post. I've tried and failed.

For the Forum, I usually have to visit a GIF compression site and reduce the file size.  For a silly little animated GIF, you can remove frames and even reduce height and width, with almost no noticeable reduction in silliness.

But it seems like the OP is asking about uploading an animated GIF to a cache page.  Which won't exactly happen.  At best, you get one frame of the animation, not animating.  But as mentioned, if it's small enough and in the proper format, there's no particular error window.

I wonder how big the OP's file is?  I uploaded a 2.5MB animated GIF, and in IE and Edge, it only does that thing where the action is ignored, and the page reloads, after you wait all that time for the file to upload.  That is, IE and Edge don't work with Geocaching.com in many cases (at this time January 20th, 2020 at 11:28AM EST, and subject to change).  I also tried Chrome, and that upload is fine, but it arrives as one frame of the GIF, not animated.

To ensure your animated GIF works, upload it to a server that allows animated GIFs, and provide a link to it.  I was previously able to embed such a GIF on my cache pages (and they still work there), but I haven't tested the process lately.

Edited by kunarion
8 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

At the moment images can still be hosted on an external website and embedded. They rolled back the proxy rewriting.

Where are you trying to use the animated gif?  As the background image?

This would be a great time for the OP to be a lot more specific about the file and the combination of things that caused the error.  I tested my 2.5MB animated GIF as a background image, using IE11, and it took a long time to upload, but there was no error. 

32 minutes ago, BarrickBebb said:

My issue might be the file size, it's 9.1 megabytes.

For the image gallery, you should size it to roughly 1000 pixels or less in either dimension, or the server will shrink it for you (and you may not like the results), assuming it can load at all.  Anyway, it will always end up as one frame of GIF image, not animated.  Might as well make that a JPG, so everyone can load it with less data.

As mentioned if you want the whole thing to load as is and to animate, it must be hosted off-site, and embedded into the cache page or with a link to the file.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1