Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
kunarion

Waterproof Label Ideas

Recommended Posts

I have a birdhouse Geocache that has a hinged door. Inside is a clue to finding the cache. It has been “Waterproof National Geographic Map Paper” and I wrote the clue using a Sharpie, to make an inexpensive sign. But in the moisture and humidity, the text has bled and faded away, just as it does on my similar cache log sheets.

 

So I'm changing the clue to a ballpoint pen inscribed piece of aluminum tape. I then filled the letters with Sharpie, so it stands out. This might work for a while!

It's for a cache that has an electronic doorbell.  In the swamp.  So the doorbell tends to stop working.  Go figure.  ^_^

 

 sign.jpg

 

signb.jpg.239cc9c9523b2fd7b63a2b2176408a29.jpg

 

 

I also ordered a roll of outdoor industrial polyester labels to stick on my caches, with a logo of my own design. There are several companies that will print labels from a template you can submit online. The labels are for outdoor use, and have good reviews that they don't degrade, and the image doesn't fade. I ordered a size that's small enough for my 50ml tubes, yet still OK for my bigger containers.  These actually stick better than the vinyl skateboard stickers I use to decorate my micro cache vials.

 

label1a.jpg

 

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

For a weatherproof stage to a multi, I just used an old avery label maker.    Simple.

The same set has been fine in a decon container (you know how well folks reclose those...), since '09

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

For a weatherproof stage to a multi, I just used an old avery label maker.    Simple.

The same set has been fine in a decon container (you know how well folks reclose those...), since '09

 

Is it the kind that embosses lettering on plastic tape?  I've never tried that.  I haven't seen it used in caches, but I also don't see Cache Owners making caches that could be expected to endure for 10 years. B)

 

729c.jpg

 

Seems like it would also be great for TB ideas.

 

I've seen gardening tags that have similar hand-embossed letters.  Copper tags, kind of intriguing!  :cute:

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, kunarion said:

Is it the kind that embosses lettering on plastic tape?  I've never tried that.  

 

Yep, and looks a lot older than your example.   :)   I simply left the thick plastic tape as-is loose in the decon container.

There is another adhered inside the top though,  JIC someone thinks at one time there was a pile of 'em  and they're to take one.   :D  

The backing wasn't ever removed. 

Share this post


Link to post

Remember these aluminum tokens?  You'd drive a massive selection lever and stamp letters one at a time.  And it's the best $83.00 you ever spent!  OK, it's only 25 cents, but you messed up the first few hundred or so.

 

That would be cool as a cache stage or as a compact TB attachment.  There are a few companies who will stamp a custom one for you.

 

 

__57.jpg

 

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I've seen gardening tags that have similar hand-embossed letters.  Copper tags, kind of intriguing!  :cute:

 

If you're talking about vigoro copper plant stakes,  yeah, I print stuff out for those, for my mother.  She likes to be "neat"...  :)

 

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

For the last few years I've been laminating an inkjet-printed label then supergluing it to the outside of the container. This one's been out there for two and a half years and hasn't fallen off or faded. It lives inside a cave, though, so doesn't get any sun on it.

 

DSC_0618.jpg.c39d2a61b426725adce9f381d3dfa6aa.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

For the last few years I've been laminating an inkjet-printed label then supergluing it to the outside of the container. This one's been out there for two and a half years and hasn't fallen off or faded. It lives inside a cave, though, so doesn't get any sun on it.

 

DSC_0618.jpg.c39d2a61b426725adce9f381d3dfa6aa.jpg

 

My first plan was to stick a heat-laminated card in place.  But that degrades in my cache's challenging situation, so that's why I'm giving embossed (de-bossed?) metal a try.  If it's the least expensive vs. most durable custom one-off label, I might give it a shot.  When I check my cache and the label is unreadable (Surprise! Thought that one was fool-proof), I don't use that method as much anymore.  And now I'm trying new ones.

 

For an "Official Geocache" label, I have most often used packing tape to kind of seal the printed paper to the inside of a clear lock & lock.  That works about as long as heat-laminated cards, for a lot less money.  Anyway, yes, there are certainly placements where even the flimsiest creations work forever.  This thread is not about how to place a cache in an ideal protected spot.  Actually, around here I often have to avoid having my caches in cool little rock caves.  In Georgia, there are dangerous animals that inhabit such places, and a container seems to make the cave more inviting to them.  :cute:

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post

I like to use ultra thick sticky tape to "laminate" both sides of the label, then hot glue it to the container, and go round the edges of the label with hot glue.

Share this post


Link to post

You can always get an aluminum dog tag or a copper gardening tag and some metal number punches to create something more durable.  

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, coachstahly said:

You can always get an aluminum dog tag or a copper gardening tag and some metal number punches to create something more durable.  

 

I have tags and punches.  My punching is worse than my handwriting :cute:.  So I have hand-engraved some items.  While using an engraving pen, I almost never smash my thumb with a hammer, which is another advantage of engraving.  For a tag at a cache stage, that turns out not bad!  I also like the fact that aluminum dog tags are also suitable as TB attachments.  Dual purpose. :)

 

Professional "outdoor plumbing" labels are relatively inexpensive and great for graphics that won't change (if it's a label I might use often).  Hand-pressed metal tape is nothing fancy, but may be ideal for a one-off custom label.  So there's a balance.

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, MrPi3141 said:

I like to use ultra thick sticky tape to "laminate" both sides of the label, then hot glue it to the container, and go round the edges of the label with hot glue.

 

If it works for you, don’t change it.  I've moved away from tape and hot glue.  If you think I'm saying tape and glue can't ever work, I'm not saying that.  But I've tried that a lot and now I'm looking at other options, such as in the OP.  If indenting text into metal tape is not for you, it's OK to not do that.  Just an idea I'm trying out.  That exact label kind of fits the cache theme. :)

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/19/2020 at 1:41 PM, kunarion said:

I also ordered a roll of outdoor industrial polyester labels to stick on my caches, with a logo of my own design. There are several companies that will print labels from a template you can submit online. The labels are for outdoor use, and have good reviews that they don't degrade, and the image doesn't fade. I ordered a size that's small enough for my 50ml tubes, yet still OK for my bigger containers.  These actually stick better than the vinyl skateboard stickers I use to decorate my micro cache vials.

 

label1a.jpg

 

 

 

Great idea and very nice logo! 

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/19/2020 at 2:47 PM, kunarion said:

Remember these aluminum tokens?  You'd drive a massive selection lever and stamp letters one at a time.  And it's the best $83.00 you ever spent!  OK, it's only 25 cents, but you messed up the first few hundred or so.

 

That would be cool as a cache stage or as a compact TB attachment.  There are a few companies who will stamp a custom one for you.

 

 

__57.jpg

 

 

 

I remember those tokens! We got them at fairs. They would look real cool on TBs. The one in your photo would make a nice "Good Luck" TB, spreading good luck energy from cache to cache and who ever finds it. You just gave me an idea for a TB. Something the U.S. needs right now, positive energy being spread. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...