No More Background Image URL Option

elrojo14

I am sure the new change to easily upload a background image into a new cache listing is for those that do not have most of our advanced skills. And I actually don't mind it that much. However, where I used to be able to input the link and could use hosting from anywhere or even from pre-existing caches or events, I now have to upload the image again. I would imagine this would suck up a lot of storage space. After my CITO event publishes I will see if I can go edit it again like I used to. If not, is it possible to have the new feature and still have the old input for the URL too? Thank you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 1/17/2020 at 5:56 AM, JeLiHeWi said:

First the 'related website' option and now the the background image.

Wonder if someone actually asked for this 'improvement'...

I just planted a cache using it and it is not optimal. It wouldn't accept my .jpg so I had to convert it to a .png. Then it was too big so I had to downsize it. I don't really like it at all. Also, I liked uploading the photo and then pasting the URL there because people could still click on the photo and see it in its entirety if they didn't like the tile or too big affect behind the cache page. Yeah I am not a fan. 

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, BendSinister said:

Long term implications still scare me....

The fact that a couple of changes here were made without warning to cache owners - since the changes directly altered listing display as well as properties - are the primary concern, yeah. Announcements were made after the fact, but nothing detailed, a very simplistic explanation, and it had to be discovered by the community initially.  For one, that's a PR problem when something breaks with an update and your customers find out for themselves first.  But the fact that once again it's a change that affects desktop use alone (the proxying of images at least) and feels relegated to "unimportant" enough not to disclose before being discovered is much more irksome, IMO.  And apart from fixing the occasional error as only explicitly reported, there seems to be no other indication that the problem is heard, let alone understood, as it's gone entirely unaddressed apart from that. :(

• Upvote 6
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, BendSinister said:

The more I think about this the more angry I get that I'll need to archive at least one cache with a grandfathered background image if I ever need to move the container more than a few feet.

I don’t think this is the case.  As I understand it, if you remove a background image URL, you won’t be able to put it back, but it won’t be removed automatically when you make a change to the listing.

Yeah, uploading an image to their server will strip exif data. Their proxy server doesn't strip exif data. It's an inconsistency. At the very least, there could be option on uploading an image to override and allow exif data if desired.

And yes, much like the related url field, the background url value was grandfathered, but in this case it can't be edited, and the url is removed by uploading an image for the background.

• Upvote 1

Uploading an image does not only strip exif data!

Animated gif files will be reduced to the starting image, so the animation of a background gif file does not work anymore.

The need of uploading an image for use as background image might have senseful reasons, but the download must not strip essential functionality.

Why does the background image has to be uploaded while in the listing content the file can be linked?

The link functionality should be re-implemented for the background image.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1