Challenge Geocache Requirements

TheView

It is my understanding that Reviewers have the option or maybe it is mandatory of requesting on new challenge Geocaches to have the Cache Owner identify 10 geocachers who live in the same state the geocache is placed who qualify for the proposed Geocache Challenge and that the CO also qualifies. Is there a simple non-tedious process to determine who the qualifying geocachers are?

I presently use a checker developed before the geocache is placed but it requires adding geocacher IDs one at a time which is tedious.

For what it’s worth, before the advent of PGC Checkers it would have been exponentially more tedious depending on the Challenge. 

In my area, everyone pretty much knows the “usual suspects” who qualifies. Chances are, if they don’t make the cut, the Challenge may be deemed unreasonable until such time that they do qualify. 

I’ve also heard that some consideration may be given if there are a few folks pretty close. Other than that well trod approach, Appeals might offer a small glimmer of hope. 

The Help Centre says:

“A challenge cache needs to appeal to and be attainable by a reasonable number of cachers. Your reviewer may ask for a list of cachers from your area who qualify.”

This guideline aims to ensure that a challenge cache is obtainable by a reasonable number of players. If only a few people can find and log a challenge cache, then it’s almost like a private cache. (And private caches aren’t permitted on the website.)  The “reasonable number” of cachers must reside in the area where your cache is placed.

It's all pretty vague, with words like "may ask", "reasonable number" and "in the area where your cache is placed", and I presume the requirement will vary from region to region. Here, my state (New South Wales) is pretty big so I presume the "area" for my challenges would be a lot smaller. In my reviewer notes I've provided numbers of qualifying caches within 50km and 100km radii and given a list of ten pre-qualifiers from my region (the Central Coast) and the adjoining regions of northern Sydney and Newcastle, and the reviewer has accepted that as sufficient. I've also listed cachers who almost qualify as they're likely to take up the challenge.

39 minutes ago, Twentse Mug said:

If I'm correct, you may also have to identify some geocachers who will qualify soon after the challenge.

This is a good option when you're setting up a challenge cache that's on the difficult side, like one that's never been done before.  

There is no "universal number set in stone" that must be demonstrated in order to prove that a challenge will appeal to a reasonable number of cachers.  I would take "here are six who qualify today and here are two others who are very close."  "Ten Qualifiers" has a nice ring to it because it's a round number and it's high enough to demonstrate the purpose of the guideline, which is to weed out what we call "Look What I Did" challenges consisting of random combinations of achievements in odd amounts.  But it is not a strict requirement to name 10 qualifiers and X more who are very close to qualifying.

A good start is to use PGC to list the highest cache-finders in your region, and work your way down the list. Typically challenge need to 'additive' meaning the higher find counts have a better chance at qualifying. Not always, but most often.   If the challenge is quite intricate, or perhaps has a county-boundary component, then searching the entire region may not suffice.  But that's less common, I'd think. Ontario is notorious for challenge caches :P

i usually just find a list of cachers and go down it to try to find out. i do think it is kinda biased against the people who dont have PGC premium as they can only use a checker 5 times a day. i guess it is possible to do it manually but it takes ALOT longer.