Firefox no good for PQs

Rustynails

I was told in these forums and GC that INTERNET EXPLORER is out of date. I'm told to replace with Firefox or others. So I choose Firefox and finally get it setup. Bad choice as it's not possible to download PQs. When clicking on GCs PQ email I get the usual view results and download now options. When clicking download now,  only get a WHITE BLANK screen and nothing else. The only way to get PQs is to use the trusty INTERNET EXPLORER. Good thing I saved it.

Is there anyway to fix crappy firefox so downloads are possible ?

14 minutes ago, rustynails. said:

Is there anyway to fix crappy firefox so downloads are possible ?

This "crappy firefox" has been my trusted browser for 25 years now (First as Netscape then Mozilla and now Firefox) so they must be doing something right. :rolleyes:

If nothing happens when downloading you probably haven't told Firefox what to do with the file extension.

BTW, IE is out of date for a long time, you should have gotten rid of it long time ago ;)

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, on4bam said:

This "crappy firefox" has been my trusted browser for 25 years now (First as Netscape then Mozilla and now Firefox) so they must be doing something right. :rolleyes:

If nothing happens when downloading you probably haven't told Firefox what to do with the file extension.

BTW, IE is out of date for a long time, you should have gotten rid of it long time ago ;)

Your wrong.  If I had gotten rid of it, I couldn't have download PQs for today. Thanks to IE I have my pq.

1 minute ago, rustynails. said:

Your wrong.  If I had gotten rid of it, I couldn't have download PQs for today. Thanks to IE I have my pq.

Try to configure FF and you'll never look back. FF can get you your PQs just fine. Have you looked in the download folder?

6 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Try to configure FF and you'll never look back. FF can get you your PQs just fine. Have you looked in the download folder?

I now see it in the folder. It would have been nice to see a message that this happened instead of a blank white screen.

7 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Not so crappy then ;) as many times the problem was PEBCAK (look it up ;-) )

Looked up PEBCAK,  and it's a not a very nice term used by arrogant IT people. It pokes fun at non-computer experts like myself. I'm just a senior that never grew up with a computer or cell phone attached to the side of my head. A blank white screen means nothing to me.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, rustynails. said:

Looked up PEBCAK,  and it's a not a very nice term used by arrogant IT people. It pokes fun at non-computer experts like myself. I'm just a senior that never grew up with a computer or cell phone attached to the side of my head. A blank white screen means nothing to me.

The tone used was because of the OP stating that FF was crappy software while the problem was user error (or better a user not familiar with new software.  If you would have asked why download didn't seem to work, the thread would have been completely different ;)  As you noticed, FF worked as expected, it was not "crappy" at all. It wouldn't have survived all these years if it was.

In any case, it works now and you can find your files and that's what counts. Good luck with FF, it's a lot better and certainly a lot more secure than "crappy" IE ;)

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, on4bam said:

The tone used was because of the OP stating that FF was crappy software while the problem was user error (or better a user not familiar with new software.  If you would have asked why download didn't seem to work, the thread would have been completely different ;)  As you noticed, FF worked as expected, it was not "crappy" at all. It wouldn't have survived all these years if it was.

In any case, it works now and you can find your files and that's what counts. Good luck with FF, it's a lot better and certainly a lot more secure than "crappy" IE ;)

A blank screen means it doesn't work. Should have been a message instead of a empty white screen.

45 minutes ago, rustynails. said:

A blank screen means it doesn't work. Should have been a message instead of a empty white screen.

No it doesn't. On downloading some PDF's I see a blank screen open, the file is then saved, most of the time the PDF opens in a new tab. It depends on how the link was set by the site owner or if I have right-clicked "open in new tab". Something not working will give you an error message.

And if by "blank white screen" you mean a browser tab with nothing on it, then yes that happens. If a file was downloaded but set to load in a new tab, the tab may not be closed after the file has downloaded. If it's empty, just close the tab. In FF ('FireFox') there is an icon in the header indicating a download is taking place. If you open that you will see its progress. Chrome has this similar functionality. It can be overridden - such as changing the setting to ask for a location whenever downloading a file instead of automatically downloading covertly to your default download folder.

As on4bam said, coming into the thread with a negative tone will quite often get you a critical tone in response (even if made tongue in cheek with a sarcastic smiley).  Labeling FF "crappy" out of the box may have been welcome in an IE community forum, but this is a forum with a wide variety of browser users, each obviously using what they prefer the most. Better to converse, especially with a thread-leading post, keeping that in mind.

ETA: And learning details about how to use your browser better before complaining knowingly that it doesn't do what you want.

Edited by thebruce0
1 hour ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Tense arguments are fine, but picking on someone because they are not an IT expert is kinda not cool, man.  You're better than that.

Thank You, funkymunkyzone. 

I still believe a message should have been seen telling me it downloaded to my computer.

26 minutes ago, rustynails. said:

I still believe a message should have been seen telling me it downloaded to my computer.

FWIW you're not the first (and won't be the last) person to thing Firefox doesn't give you enough info about downloads. I think this changed in a recent(ish) update.

There should be a little down arrow on the tool bar, beside the address box, IIRC this will flash briefly when you download something, if the download takes a while there will be a thin status bar below it while the download is happening. If you click the down arrow it will open up the list of downloads which are complete or in progress.

If you really want you can go into options and make Firefox ask you what to do with a file every time you download it, but I think that's probably an overkill.

I think Firefox used to display a download complete indicator at the bottom of the page, it may be possible to get that back but I don't have access to Firefox at the mo so can't try it.