How do you save money while Geocaching?

38 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

I read that when you delete a log, cachers gets a notice that their log was deleted. Is the same true for photos that are deleted?

The last I heard:

If the CO deletes a log, then no notice is sent. People have been asking for automated notices for years, but it hasn't happened.

If the CO deletes a photo of the log, then the CO is prompted for a reason, which is supposed to be sent to the author of the log. However, there have been recent reports that this feature doesn't work any longer. The CO is prompted, but nothing is sent.

18 minutes ago, niraD said:

The last I heard:

If the CO deletes a log, then no notice is sent. People have been asking for automated notices for years, but it hasn't happened.

If the CO deletes a photo of the log, then the CO is prompted for a reason, which is supposed to be sent to the author of the log. However, there have been recent reports that this feature doesn't work any longer. The CO is prompted, but nothing is sent.

Thanks. I thought I read somewhere, maybe here, that the log owner will be notified. The reason for the deleted log is that it was an armchair cacher and they will know it's not going to work if they keep doing false logs because COs can delete them and they get the notification.  As for the photo delete, this is good to know. When I was prompt...I said because it's not the same cache, the original has been replaced. If my cache friend gets that notice, I won't feel so bad then. He will understand. 

Unless it has changed, I'm pretty sure the author does get a notification if their log is deleted, I have received them in the past.

But I don't know about if just a picture is deleted.

It is always nice to contact the person and ask them to fix it (whether a log or a photo) before taking the delete option.

4 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

It worked. Thanks again. I deleted a photo from a favorite geocacher of mine because it showed the exact location of the cache. Also,  the cache was temporary until the new bolt cache arrived. I read that when you delete a log, cachers gets a notice that their log was deleted. Is the same true for photos that are deleted? I don't want to offend him. 

With photo deletion, you are prompted to enter a reason and that's supposed to be sent to the logger but a few months back people were reporting that it didn't and the logger received nothing. I don't know whether that's been fixed yet.

16 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

With photo deletion, you are prompted to enter a reason and that's supposed to be sent to the logger but a few months back people were reporting that it didn't and the logger received nothing. I don't know whether that's been fixed yet.

Thanks. He hasn't message me about the deletion so hopefully didn't get the message although he would understand I think. He's a well known popular adored cacher in our county. His photo was over a year old on our cache so it's nothing recent...that might have been more offensive. I just scrolled up to check the title of this thread and see that I went off topic. lol So...another way to save money with geocaching is to make your own inventive caches! Search around the house, garage, and basement.Even outside. You'll be surprised at what you can find. My husband found a long piece of thick bark. Some we used to cover our large caches in the woods to hide from muggles. I'm also going to hot gun glue pieces of it on a container and replace the Plenty of Bark Here cache in a park. Right now the cache is in the crook of a tree with bark we found on the ground covering it but I think a bark container will be really cool and not expensive!  I was going to cover a large vitamin pill bottle with dried moss (hot gun glue or any kind of glue) and then glue small pieces of bark all over it. But I have an extra rock cache (buy one get an extra deal) so might use that instead. Cover with moss and then small pieces of bark. But the idea is there for an inexpensive cache! I had a moss vitamin bottle cache that I made for a friend cacher that people love. I'll try to the photo and post it here. It will be on topic for saving money! A large bag of moss was only $3.00

Hello HunterandSamuel,

I've been informed about deleted logs sometimes so this worked for sure. I am not sure if it still works. I have never reveived the information about a deleted image but I am not sure if anyone ever deleted one of mine.. :-)

If you send my a GC-Code of yours where you don't mind me posting a note with a picture we may try: delete my picture first and delete the whole log afterwards

I am out on a cache repairing bike tour for the next two hours so don't hurry to send one. I think that's the easiest way to find out (if you want to).

Best wishes

Jochen

Here's the inexpensive plastic vitamin bottle cache I made for a friend. Another way to save money. She got lots of nice comments on it! It's kind of ugly looking in the photo but when placed in a tree or on the ground, it's really neat looking and blends in. I have one more rock cache left (like I mentioned before...2 for the price of one so it was only $3.00) , I think I'll do the moss and bark on it and place in the Bark cache in the park. 

rockmoss.JPG

Edited by HunterandSamuel
25 minutes ago, frostengel said:

I am out on a cache repairing bike tour for the next two hours so don't hurry to send one. I think that's the easiest way to find out (if you want to).

That is so nice of you but I think it'll be fine!  Thanks you so much though. Have fun on your cache repairing bike tour! I find cache check-ups fun and relaxing.  We get a great sense of accomplishment afterwards. We brought our neighbor with us yesterday and he, being in engineering before retirement, said he could make the bolt cache for .75 cents! So this is another way to save money.

2 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

That is so nice of you but I think it'll be fine!  Thanks you so much though.

You are welcome. If you decide other way round feel free to contact me later!

2 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Have fun on your cache repairing bike tour! I find cache check-ups fun and relaxing.

It was a nice tour and absolutely free: no gas costs or anything. I like my bike.

In addition almost everything was in place or is back in place now so in the end it was a successful owner maintenance.

Oh, that is even more offtopic then before. I am sorry. :-)

On 1/24/2020 at 2:38 PM, barefootjeff said:

Update although off topic I want to let you know that he did get the photo deletion notice so it is working. I messaged him letting him know why I did it and he was very thankful because he thought maybe he logged the wrong photo. I invited him back to take another photo with the new cache.