Oops - I've accidentally removed a log book from a cache

m48w

No idea how it happened, but when I got back from Christmas having found quite a number of caches in the Boston, Lincs area over Christmas, I was emptying my rucsac and out popped a log. Fortunately it's not the current one but it's three long slim pieces of paper with logs dating from April 1918 back all the way to August 2012. I wonder if there's a way of working out which cache it came out of. Any help much appreciated.

Happened to me last year too but I knew exactly which cache it was from. The log was in a kind of magic box that needed some handling to open. It suddenly fell open and the paper strips fell out above the bag on my bike. I thought I had them all but back home I found 2 strips. Fortunately the cache was only 8 Km from home and I returned the log the next time I was close by.

Anyway, look up a few loggers and note the dates, it may take a few tries but it should be straightforward to find the correct cache.

I haven't tried this but you might try importing caches "found by" cachers in the logs into GSAK and the filter until only 1 or just a few caches are left found by all.

Look at the log for a clear date and signature, then track down that user's profile and look in their cache list for caches they found that day. Ignore the ones that are too new. (Thank goodness the cache is so old!) That should give you a short list of caches to check to see which has matching signatures in that time period. The hardest part of this is that there's no good way to scroll down to specific times in either the user's cache list or the cache's log, but just stick with the click-click-click approach to get there. (I find myself doing this kind of thing regularly for various reasons, so I dream of a way of jumping to a specific date in either kind of list.) A tool like GSAK could make some of this simpler, but I've never find it worth it for something like this.

Having found the listing of the correct cache, post a note explaining your mistake and attach pictures of the log pages you took. All should be forgiven! You could modify your find log instead of posting a new note, and that would be logical -- I'd probably do that -- but if you do that, send the CO a private note since this system doesn't tell the CO when someone modifies a found log, and you want the CO to hear about this.

On 1/9/2020 at 11:48 AM, m48w said:

No idea how it happened, but when I got back from Christmas having found quite a number of caches in the Boston, Lincs area over Christmas, I was emptying my rucsac and out popped a log. Fortunately it's not the current one but it's three long slim pieces of paper with logs dating from April 1918 back all the way to August 2012. I wonder if there's a way of working out which cache it came out of. Any help much appreciated.

I've accidentally done that, but fortunately I knew which cache it came from.