If - else.........How many ?

Ah!

15 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

Theoretically, the only limit might be in performance. I believe the cartridge would experience slowness before you have server problems.

I hope you’d be able to avoid such a structure by being smart about what you’re testing and grouping similar arguments together. 

Thanks for your reply.   Unfortunately, despite my name - Alan Smart - being smart is my biggest problem.   My other problem, at the moment, is I have 30+ images and I wish to change the  media of a zone depending on the value of a variable.   That is,  if the variable =1 the zone has image A, if variable = 2 the zone has image B  etc.  It looks like it should be simple but I can't do it.   In the change media option the choice is from the list of media only so I created expressions to compare media name  (or visible is the only choice) to the value of a variable.  I then created an IF ELSE function to go through and find the matching media to the variable.   I gave the media numerical names to match the variable range.    I think this might be trying to compare a string with a number.   Any suggestions?

Edited by Ah!
Forgot something
7 hours ago, Ah! said:

I have 30+ images and I wish to change the  media of a zone depending on the value of a variable.   That is,  if the variable =1 the zone has image A, if variable = 2 the zone has image B  etc. 

How does this variable get its new values?

Wouldn't it be possible to assign the media its new resource at the same time?

If not, maybe you could use a table where each item would be a media.

Then the zone media would be assigned by a LUA statement like this one:

zmediaMyZone = myTableOfZmedia[myVariable]

1 hour ago, Tungstène said:

How does this variable get its new values?

Wouldn't it be possible to assign the media its new resource at the same time?

If not, maybe you could use a table where each item would be a media.

Then the zone media would be assigned by a LUA statement like this one:

zmediaMyZone = myTableOfZmedia[myVariable]

Thanks for your reply.

The variable gets it value from the actions of the player when in a zone.   

I have now solved this problem.  Although I'm not very familiar with Lua I did some searching and found the function  "tostring(v)" .  Referring to my above reply, I used  "tostring(v)"  to change the numerical variable to a string before comparing it to the name of the media variables.  This was all I had to do to make everything I had written work OK.   

Thanks again to all.