Geocaching and personal protection

I wouldn't cache in the US. Last time I was there most areas viewed any pedestrians as mad.

One of the few countries out of god knows how many I've visited I wouldn't go back to now I've started GCing except perhaps to a handful of cities. The gun culture would make me much more nervous poking around. The fact that @SwineFlew says that cachers carry guns pretty much confirms the suspicion it's not a country I want to be in.

• Funny 3
1 hour ago, BethDaddyKaty said:

I wouldn't cache in the US. Last time I was there most areas viewed any pedestrians as mad.

Where in the US? The reason I ask is that the US is a big place, and there's a huge difference between California and Oklahoma, or Florida, or Pennsylvania, or Hawaii, or Maine, yadda yadda yadda...

• Upvote 1

I have been told since Junior High Health Class that I should always carry protection. Life lessons like that have kept me alive and well, even after numerous situations where that protection was put to use. Now that I'm a bit closer to the silver years, I still carry my protection, just in case, but mostly out of habit.

Oh, y'all are talking about guns. Nevermind.

• Funny 5
2 hours ago, K13 said:

I have been told since Junior High Health Class that I should always carry protection. Life lessons like that have kept me alive and well, even after numerous situations where that protection was put to use. Now that I'm a bit closer to the silver years, I still carry my protection, just in case, but mostly out of habit.

But they 'blend' so well, they are an excellent way to keep water/dirt out of the muzzle of a rifle...

• Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
On 1/19/2020 at 10:56 PM, K13 said:

LOL I hope I never come across that kind of "protection" when geocaching. 

On 1/19/2020 at 9:47 PM, HunterandSamuel said:

I agree. It's frightening that someone can shoot you (the "stand your ground" law) if they deem you a threat or even a  perceived threat. Geocachers at times can look suspicious and up to something of no good.

That's what i was thinking. Can I walk through a residential neighbourhood between my hotel and an interesting cache despite nobody on the street? What would someone think if I try to get through thick bushes in a wilderness area back to the path after having found a cache? The options probably range from: "shrugs" to "Oh, that's odd" to "someone trying to mug me" to "feral hog!!!" 

On 1/20/2020 at 12:54 AM, niraD said:

Where in the US? The reason I ask is that the US is a big place, and there's a huge difference between California and Oklahoma, or Florida, or Pennsylvania, or Hawaii, or Maine, yadda yadda yadda...

Yes but "Is it okay to geocache here or will I get shot?" doesn't appear on many tourist guides.

Why would you take the chance when in 90% of countries you don't need to worry about it, especially with young kids.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, BethDaddyKaty said:

Glad to hear it. I wouldn't take the chance with my kids. Seeing all the stuff in Virginia confirmed to me there are a lot of mad/angry people about.

The only thing that happened in Virginia was a peaceful protest, and afterward the protesters were seen cleaning the street of the debris left by the counter-protesters. Your ignorance of happenings here is on par with the person who claimed there were Sharia No-Go Zones in your city.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2
1 minute ago, K13 said:

The only thing that happened in Virginia was a peaceful protest, and afterward the protesters were seen cleaning the street of the debris left by the counter-protesters. Your ignorance of happenings here is on par with the person who claimed there were Sharia No-Go Zones in your city.

No-one claimed there are sharia no-go zones in Oxford.

50,000 people turned up, all armed, for a protest because they weren't allowed to buy more than one gun a month and had to have a background check.

If that was in the UK they would all be arrested, guns taken away and the streets would be a much safer place.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 2
  • Love 2
Just now, BethDaddyKaty said:

No-one claimed there are sharia no-go zones in Oxford.

50,000 people turned up, all armed, for a protest because they weren't allowed to buy more than one gun a month and had to have a background check.

If that was in the UK they would all be arrested, guns taken away and the streets would be a much safer place.

I thought you were in London, but the no-go zone statements were from someone on televised news reports here several years ago.

Those that turned up in Virginia were exercising their God-given right of gun ownership while exercising their 1st Amendment right of peaceable assembly. In the 2nd Amendment to our Constitution, the Government is prohibited from infringing on that right. There are many in our country and other countries who erroneously think that the US Government allows its citizens to own guns.

Thankfully, this isn't the UK.

And hopefully this thread will be deleted, now that you have forced it so far off the rail and original topic.

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, K13 said:

I thought you were in London, but the no-go zone statements were from someone on televised news reports here several years ago.

Those that turned up in Virginia were exercising their God-given right of gun ownership while exercising their 1st Amendment right of peaceable assembly. In the 2nd Amendment to our Constitution, the Government is prohibited from infringing on that right. There are many in our country and other countries who erroneously think that the US Government allows its citizens to own guns.

Thankfully, this isn't the UK.

And hopefully this thread will be deleted, now that you have forced it so far off the rail and original topic.

Oh, I happily support the right to assembly.

But allowing people to assemble with 50,000 guns is clearly stupid.

Also, it's clearly not a god-given right, as otherwise your "God" would have given it to everyone. It's a right that's futile, as the US military could turn every gun owner into the US into neatly formed dust if they got too uppity.

• Upvote 3
40 minutes ago, K13 said:

Those that turned up in Virginia were exercising their God-given right of gun ownership while exercising their 1st Amendment right of peaceable assembly.

And it's scary talk like that that helps explain why foreign visitor numbers to the the USA have dropped. And why I hear people here in Australia (and I can imagine in Europe too) warning friends not to visit the USA and if they want to go to that part of the world visit Canada instead. (That and your unfriendly immigration officials who make the most outrageous claims that are rarely encountered when visiting other countries. Such that your biggest desire is to stay and work in the USA. Really...um, NO WAY! There are whole threads on the internet about this one.)

Thank goodness I live in a country that knows that civilisation is not toting around guns. For whatever his other faults were, the Conservative Prime Minister John Howard will be long remembered and thanked by Australians for bringing in gun control (guns are not banned in Australia despite the lies spread). Sensible laws such as a background check and banning military style guns...except for the military. He had a big job doing this and his coalition party leader Tim Fischer was even in a tougher position, standing up to many in his party to get legislation through. Many people are alive today because of this. It is possible to own a gun in Australia. Just give a reason, such as being a farmer, hunting, belonging to a gun club, and then being able to pass the background check. No big deals, but makes gun ownership a lot safer.

I had two friends (and had met a third person) killed at the Port Arthur massacre which triggered this. Within days the men had built a case for gun control and proved they were leaders.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, BethDaddyKaty said:

Oh, I happily support the right to assembly.

But allowing people to assemble with 50,000 guns is clearly stupid.

Also, it's clearly not a god-given right, as otherwise your "God" would have given it to everyone. It's a right that's futile, as the US military could turn every gun owner into the US into neatly formed dust if they got too uppity.

God gave the right to everyone.  Some had it taken from them by their king.  Some surrendered it to their leaders.

You forget that the US military are the sons and daughters of those "uppity" American gun owners. Soldiers are not very likely to turn their own family or the families of their platoon mates into dust.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
6 minutes ago, K13 said:

God gave the right to everyone.  Some had it taken from them by their king.  Some surrendered it to their leaders.

You forget that the US military are the sons and daughters of those "uppity" American gun owners. Soldiers are not very likely to turn their own family or the families of their platoon mates into dust.

God told you this...WOW!

Please don't insult God with this evil suggestion and to know the mind of God.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Funny 2