first to find

Micah's Rich Future

This might seem very basic, but older caches that I might have forgotten about, and still don't seem to have a "find" yet, I simply scroll after hitting "Near your home location (filter out finds)" that's on the right of everyone's profile dashboard.   :)

- Just look for that blank space in "last found".   Simple.

We find a few once-in-a-while when a new cache published gets closed for some issue, and reopened later. 

There's no notification when it's reopened, and unless folks are in the area with a phone,  or do a PQ, they often won't notice.    ;)

Tip: Create a Pocket Query displaying unfound caches.  Load the map preview. Bookmark map preview in your browser. It will always show you the most current results like a live search plotted on the map. This is wonderful for being on the road, especially outside your home area. Just make sure the PQ covers where you're looking at.

Live map of unfound/FTF opportunities!

• Helpful 1
On 1/8/2020 at 7:40 PM, Micah's Rich Future said:

Is there a way to search for caches that haven't been found by anyone?

There are several.  A few have been outlined above.  Here are a couple more:

Use the old seek page to search by state (US only) or by country.  Selecting Canada from the country list should then give you a second option to search by province.  You can then click on the "Last found" column to sort by date of last find.  Clicking it once brings up the most recently found caches in Ontario first - but clicking it again will then bring caches that haven't been found to the top of the list.  As of today, there are over 150 caches in Ontario that haven't been found yet, including one hide from 2003.

As a premium member, you can set up notifications for different areas for different types of cache logs, including published logs.  You'll have to set up a separate notification for each type of cache, for each different area you want to track, but each notification can track multiple log types.  I have several set up for my area, for different cache types, so I know when new caches are published and even if older caches are unarchived and put back in play.

I know there's a way to search for unfound caches at project-gc.com, but I can't get to that site from work, so I can't walk you through it.

Edited by hzoi
  • Helpful 1