Geocaching Territory

pingurus

Probably off topic, but what is this checker testing? I fail, but it doesn't say what the criteria are and what I can do to qualify.

P.S. The largest area covered by linked caches between GCxxx and GCxxx is 212.8 km² wide.  - bad wording here. An area isn't x km² wide. It's simply x km². :)

Edited by TriciaG
33 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

Probably off topic, but what is this checker testing? I fail, but it doesn't say what the criteria are and what I can do to qualify.

It’s finding the largest area constrained by the caches you’ve found, linked such that no find is more than 5 km from the next. To pass the challenge the area needs to exceed 1000 km².  The checker can be configured to change both the proximity and the area.  It’s pretty cool, and I’m amazed at how quickly it runs.

Here’s my map:

AB09094F-9D86-4D86-A7CC-2676063F22CA.thumb.jpeg.d4296832b85aa8498b82166d74137e49.jpeg

42 minutes ago, TriciaG said:

P.S. The largest area covered by linked caches between GCxxx and GCxxx is 212.8 km² wide.  - bad wording here. An area isn't x km² wide. It's simply x km². :)

True, but I wish my Finnish (or any other language, for that matter) was as good as arisoft’s English!

I love this challenge.  My largest 5km area is presently 1909.2 km². 

Nearby, I also have a 101.9 km² area.  That one includes two countries.

If I temporarily change my home co-ordinates, will I get different areas?

Edited by elyob
39 minutes ago, elyob said:

I love this challenge.  My largest 5km area is presently 1909.2 km². 

If I temporarily change my home co-ordinates, will I get different areas?

Unfortinately it was not accepted as a challenge because the result looks like a polygon. I hope that some day it could be reconsidered because it is an interesting  challenge.

Your home coordinates have no effect because the checker doesn't know your coordinates - it processes all your finds.

Edited by arisoft
20 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Here’s my map:

Looks like we have a bit of an overlap :).

image.png.24a159a75fecd128f07be8ec3ffac3ec.png

If I could fill in the gap between Woking and Cobham it would pull all of Central London into mine, and another couple round Basingstoke will fill that space in the top left. It's a shame it's not allowed as a challenge as it provides an interesting statistic/map and I might be tempted to fill those gaps if there was a challenge for it, though I have 2332 km² at the mo.

• Upvote 1

Ooh I like that. Maybe if enough people (respectfully) make a defense that it should be allowable, it might change. I wouldn't call it a polygon requirement like currently disallowed - that's typically saying "you must qualify for this specific user-defined region".  This statistic is a total area with no provided boundaries and it's additive, you can never 'unqualify' by continuing to cache normally. Odd that it's being disallowed...

• Upvote 1