Isidore and coastal caches

rpecot

I just temporarily archived my Spanish Fort micro cache. It’s located within the Orleans Parish hurricane protection levee, but outside a smaller levee keeping Bayou St. John off the streets. I'm going to grab it after work tomorrow.

I thought about archiving my newest cache, N.O. Public Library, but it’s in an ammo can and it’s pretty secure (I think!), so I’m leaving it.

I’m somewhat concerned about Seal Team and Cane Island, but I don’t have the time to grab them. I guess that’s an excuse to do some paddling after all this mess is gone.

Any other Gulf Coast cachers thinking about picking up your containers?

Hey to all our Gulf coast brethren (and sisters), good luck with that nasty storm. After our visits by Floyd 99 and Fran 96, most North Carolina cachers don't look forward to any more storms. I live 150 miles inland, and Fran took us out for weeks. Hope you all make it through okay if Isidore comes visiting, caches can almost always be replaced!

JoeyBob

I was most concerned about our new one on Monkey Island, but I think it's far enough west that it will be okay. There's no way we could get over there to get it out in time, and no way in hell I would get in a bass boat to get it with that wave action!

I think the rest of ours will be okay. The only other one I am concerned about is Allons!, but nobody visits that one very often anyway so if Izzy gets it, it's not a real big deal.

I don't think we are going to get the brunt of Izzy in Lafayette, but thank goodness it's not a Category 3 or 4 like it was. Forget caches then! I'd be worried about things like my house disappearing. icon_wink.gif

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." ~Mark Twain

I was most concerned about our new one on Monkey Island, but I think it's far enough west that it will be okay. There's no way we could get over there to get it out in time, and no way in hell I would get in a bass boat to get it with that wave action!

I think the rest of ours will be okay. The only other one I am concerned about is Allons!, but nobody visits that one very often anyway so if Izzy gets it, it's not a real big deal.

I don't think we are going to get the brunt of Izzy in Lafayette, but thank goodness it's not a Category 3 or 4 like it was. Forget caches then! I'd be worried about things like my house disappearing. icon_wink.gif

"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." ~Mark Twain

quote:

I make it down to Bootheville/Venice every now and then for work. I could check on Fort Jackson next time I'm down there.

Perhaps we need Gov. Foster to issue a cache evacuation notice? icon_smile.gif

Depending on what becomes of it all, I'm more concerned about any 'veteran' travel bugs that may be taken out of service if/when the caches go bye-bye. Evacuate the travel bugs!

Not to mention the far-out possibility that someone could find an ammo-can on the shores of Jamaica in a few weeks/months... Now that would be a story..

alex

quote:

I make it down to Bootheville/Venice every now and then for work. I could check on Fort Jackson next time I'm down there.

Perhaps we need Gov. Foster to issue a cache evacuation notice? icon_smile.gif

Depending on what becomes of it all, I'm more concerned about any 'veteran' travel bugs that may be taken out of service if/when the caches go bye-bye. Evacuate the travel bugs!

Not to mention the far-out possibility that someone could find an ammo-can on the shores of Jamaica in a few weeks/months... Now that would be a story..

alex

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

alex

The log entry might go something like this:

Posted coordinates: N30 W90

Found coordinates: N18 W77

The ammo can was rusty, but the contents were bone dry. Took some Mardi Gras beads, left a Bob Marley tape icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

alex

The log entry might go something like this:

Posted coordinates: N30 W90

Found coordinates: N18 W77

The ammo can was rusty, but the contents were bone dry. Took some Mardi Gras beads, left a Bob Marley tape icon_biggrin.gif

I am pretty confident that Greedo will be just fine in Banckers Deposit Cache..

I had thought about the approach of Isidore and the cache being pretty close to the coast and all when I left him, and at the time the forcast seemed favorable enough. I still think he will be fine where he is.. The can is fairly secure..

Im hopin now that the campsite wont be really soggy for next friday.. icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

I am pretty confident that Greedo will be just fine in Banckers Deposit Cache..

I had thought about the approach of Isidore and the cache being pretty close to the coast and all when I left him, and at the time the forcast seemed favorable enough. I still think he will be fine where he is.. The can is fairly secure..

Im hopin now that the campsite wont be really soggy for next friday.. icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

Spanish Fort is back. Looks like I was a little over cautious. As best I could tell Bayou St. John didn't rise much, at least not enough to get to the cache. I swapped out a few quarters for some French and Costa Rican coins.

Lake Pontchartrain got pretty high though. As I rode my bike around, the waves were splashing over the seawall. The high water marks on the levee were one to two feet higher than the seawalls. Pretty impressive. And this was only a tropical storm! icon_eek.gif

I also rode through a foot (or more) water on Marconi towards City Park. I emailed the owner of Dwarf Sumac to tell them they may want to check on it. The bayou along Marconi was well over its banks. Good chance this one got wet. If I have a chance in the next week or so, I'll go check it out myself.

I'm eager to check on Cane Island and Seal Team but my schedule is getting packed (LSU, Saints, work icon_frown.gif )

Of course, we've still got Lili out there icon_mad.gif

Spanish Fort is back. Looks like I was a little over cautious. As best I could tell Bayou St. John didn't rise much, at least not enough to get to the cache. I swapped out a few quarters for some French and Costa Rican coins.

Lake Pontchartrain got pretty high though. As I rode my bike around, the waves were splashing over the seawall. The high water marks on the levee were one to two feet higher than the seawalls. Pretty impressive. And this was only a tropical storm! icon_eek.gif

I also rode through a foot (or more) water on Marconi towards City Park. I emailed the owner of Dwarf Sumac to tell them they may want to check on it. The bayou along Marconi was well over its banks. Good chance this one got wet. If I have a chance in the next week or so, I'll go check it out myself.

I'm eager to check on Cane Island and Seal Team but my schedule is getting packed (LSU, Saints, work icon_frown.gif )

quote:
I'm eager to check on http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=31961 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9466 but my schedule is getting packed (LSU, Saints, work icon_frown.gif )

There's a chance Katie and I will be in the area checking on her parent's place in Bay St. Louis and helping my parents clean up after the storm (they live on the lake on the N. Shore). That is, if they have electricity and the like before the weekend. If we get a chance, and my dad's canoe isn't half way to cuba by now, we're planning on taking a shot at cane island. We'll be sure to log quickly if we get to it. icon_wink.gif

According to what my mother said, the New Orleans area was REALLY lucky the storm wasn't worse than it was. Most of the houses around them went under pretty well. They missed water by about 6 inches.

alex

quote:
I'm eager to check on http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=31961 and http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9466 but my schedule is getting packed (LSU, Saints, work icon_frown.gif )

There's a chance Katie and I will be in the area checking on her parent's place in Bay St. Louis and helping my parents clean up after the storm (they live on the lake on the N. Shore). That is, if they have electricity and the like before the weekend. If we get a chance, and my dad's canoe isn't half way to cuba by now, we're planning on taking a shot at cane island. We'll be sure to log quickly if we get to it. icon_wink.gif

According to what my mother said, the New Orleans area was REALLY lucky the storm wasn't worse than it was. Most of the houses around them went under pretty well. They missed water by about 6 inches.

alex

quote:
Originally posted by rmpgis:

hey rpecot,

Were you riding a blue bike and wearing a blue hat? The Durham, NC paper published a photo of a guy riding a bike near the lake after the storm and I was wondering if it was you.

Blue bike, black/grey helmet. Any chance the pic is online somewhere?

No, it's not me (I wouldn't be caught dead on a road bike icon_wink.gif ). Found the picture on Yahoo!News. That location is about 2 miles from my house, though.

[This message was edited by rpecot on September 28, 2002 at 06:46 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by rmpgis:

hey rpecot,

Were you riding a blue bike and wearing a blue hat? The Durham, NC paper published a photo of a guy riding a bike near the lake after the storm and I was wondering if it was you.

Blue bike, black/grey helmet. Any chance the pic is online somewhere?

No, it's not me (I wouldn't be caught dead on a road bike icon_wink.gif ). Found the picture on Yahoo!News. That location is about 2 miles from my house, though.

[This message was edited by rpecot on September 28, 2002 at 06:46 PM.]

Yesterday I set off to get some caches in Harrison county and got only two of five. I strongly suspect that flooding caused by Isidore got the best of Airey Lake Trail and Couch Trail Cache. I could be wrong, however, and I hope I am wrong -- those are two really nice trails. I also had trouble finding Biloxi Bad Beau blah blah blah but I suspect that Joe the Janitor got this one rather than Isidore.

I'm happy to report that Biloxi Beacon is still intact -- even though the nearby pier got pretty mangled.

Also, depending on how far inland the heavy rains got, there's a good chance I will have to archive my Black Creek Island cache.

-- Mojesic

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

I was planning a whirlwind Mississippi trip...

You weren't planning on overtaking the Mississippi lead, were you? icon_eek.gif

Jamie

I had my eye on 10 southern MS geocaches. Would put me in the top 10 if I found them all.

You'd still be on top but pater is creeping up on you icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

I was planning a whirlwind Mississippi trip...

You weren't planning on overtaking the Mississippi lead, were you? icon_eek.gif

Jamie

I had my eye on 10 southern MS geocaches. Would put me in the top 10 if I found them all.

You'd still be on top but pater is creeping up on you icon_wink.gif