Removing found caches from montana610

oldgala

1 hour ago, oldgala said:

We purchased a Montana 610 and it has 250,000 caches loaded.  But, we have found some of these caches and need to remove them from the GPS to be able to geocache without having found caches showing up.  Ideas?

Look in the Garmin/GGZ and remove the *.GGZ file. All caches will then be gone, you can't delete individual caches from that file.

If you don't want to delete the whole file, you can also just pull up each of the caches that you've already found, and then mark them as found.  The Montana will then exclude them from the list of caches you haven't found yet, and change the icon on the map to an open treasure box.

2 minutes ago, hzoi said:

If you don't want to delete the whole file, you can also just pull up each of the caches that you've already found, and then mark them as found.  The Montana will then exclude them from the list of caches you haven't found yet, and change the icon on the map to an open treasure box.

The GGZ file is probably so old there are many archived and disabled caches in it. Also, new caches are not in it. I think it's useless, better delete it and load updated data to avoid frustration looking for caches that are long gone.

• Upvote 1
Just now, on4bam said:

The GGZ file is probably so old there are many archived and disabled caches in it. Also, new caches are not in it. I think it's useless, better delete it and load updated data to avoid frustration looking for caches that are long gone.

I agree - but if they don't want to delete it, I wanted to give them another potential solution.

Has anyone looked at the date of a GGZ file when buying a new GPS? If I see that on average 150 caches in my Belgian database (36000 caches) are archived I suspect that every week 1000 caches are archived that are in that GGZ file. That's a lot of caches should a GPS be sold 2-3 months after leaving Garmin's production line. Since more caches are published than archived that's also 1000's of new caches NOT in the GGZ file.

It's something to think about for people wanting to use the preloaded data.

Become a premium  member. Set up a caching list near your preferred GZ. Run the list once a month and copy it to the appropriate directory on your GPS. For me that's a reasonable balance between keeping my information current and not going to search for hides that have issues. My list is filtered to exclude caches that i have found and  are not active. My GPSr can also be set up to filter caches but for me it's easier to not have them loaded up and taking up (invisible) space on my GPSr.

Edited by ras_oscar