Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
on4bam

Inconsistent behavior API vs GPX

The CA law had GS making changes that should have been done when GDPR was introduced but it seems implementation is flawed.

People can opt out sharing data with API partners, I get that and it's a good thing. However, getting caches via API does no longer show the CO's name if it's an "opted-out user". That's a stupid move as this info is shown on the website, it's available when downloading the cache GPX file, it's available then downloading the GPX from a list and (probably, haven't tested yet) when downloading PQs.

With just a few clicks a database with "opted-out" users can be refreshed with a GPX file from the cachepage, list or PQ and have all opted-out "placed by" names replaced by the correct CO names.

What's going to be next? No possibility to contact an opted out CO?

• Upvote 1

I noticed this an hour ago when I downloaded PQs. I'm trying everything possible to avoid the annoying website so I'm glad to hear a refresh works, I"ll try it once I get my quota back. 

1 minute ago, 31BMSG said:

I noticed this an hour ago when I downloaded PQs. I'm trying everything possible to avoid the annoying website so I'm glad to hear a refresh works, I"ll try it once I get my quota back. 

You get "opted out user" when importing via API but updating by GPX file can only be done the next day in GSAK as it's ignored for being the same data.

I sort by username quite often so I'm glad there's a workaround. I've got 22 hours to wait until my quota refreshes so waiting a day is fine.

My workflow to refresh 36000 caches is:

placed by date "before" dd/mm/yyyy with about 15500 caches to be refreshed via API on Monday + 10 PQ.

On Tuesday most recent placed 8 PQ's are downloaded including newest caches, all others, about 4000 are "refreshed" via API.

I filter on "Placed by" = "opted-out user" and put them (300+) on a "opted-out user" list, I also make a usernote for these caches "opted out"

Next day I download the GPX of this list so all users are updated to the real placed by name.

I then filter on usernote "opted out" and "lock" the caches so next time the CO's name is not overwritten again by the API.

I'm sure I'll streamline this further as needed...