Locked TB in my inventory

13RPoor

Question: so I am in possession of a travel bug, https://coord.info/TBMXXT, (physically and in my inventory online). The owner of said TB has locked the page so no new logs can be made (so I cant get it out of my inventory). I contacted the owner, and she said her TBs have been popping up getting virtually logged, so she locked them. This particular one hasnt been compromised, I sent her picture proof I had the coin, and she wont respond. I just want the thing out of my inventory. Help??

I guess all you can do is contact HQ. That is a nuisance and thoughtless of the owner.

I found a TB that was travelling with me was suddenly locked and unlike the other TBs I had with me hadn't been getting logs for ages. In that case I contacted the owner and they hadn't locked it they said, but it was locked. However they investigated and somehow they had accidentally locked it. They unlocked it and all was okay. Different to you case though.

Contact HQ.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Keystone said:

In passing, I note that the only nuisance and thoughtlessness is on the part of the virtual trackable loggers.

13RPoor wrote, " I sent her picture proof I had the coin, and she wont respond '"

Hopefully enough time for a response was allowed and if that, the TB owner not responding and leaving it locked and stuck in someone's list, is not being very considerate.

1 hour ago, 13RPoor said:

Question: so I am in possession of a travel bug, https://coord.info/TBMXXT, (physically and in my inventory online). The owner of said TB has locked the page so no new logs can be made (so I cant get it out of my inventory). I contacted the owner, and she said her TBs have been popping up getting virtually logged, so she locked them. This particular one hasnt been compromised, I sent her picture proof I had the coin, and she wont respond. I just want the thing out of my inventory. Help??

You first must place it in a cache, for example.  If it’s in your possession, it’s suitable to be in your inventory.  Then as mentioned, HQ might unscramble the logs. 

And that TB shouldn’t even be traveling.  If the TO becomes responsive enough to give you details about mailing it, and guarantees she’ll log it properly upon receipt, you might mail it.  The TO should pay for shipping.

Edited by kunarion
Just now, kunarion said:

You first must place it in a cache, for example.  If it’s in your possession, it’s suitable to be in your inventory.  Then as mentioned, HQ might unscramble the logs. 

And that TB shouldn’t even be traveling.  If the TO becomes responsive enough to give you details about mailing it, and guarantees she’ll log it properly upon receipt, you might mail it.  The TO should pay for shipping.

Can you place it in a cache? It's locked. I had a TB in my possession that the owner accidentally locked (it was sorted out after I contacted them) and from memory I couldn't do a thing with it. I couldn't get it out of my possession.

6 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Can you place it in a cache? It's locked. I had a TB in my possession that the owner accidentally locked (it was sorted out after I contacted them) and from memory I couldn't do a thing with it. I couldn't get it out of my possession.

I mean to physically put all the actual TB stuff into a cache and close it inside.  Then contact TPTB to fix the Inventory.

It seems like the OP hasn’t put the tag itself into a container yet.  

Edited by kunarion
2 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

??? Is that the TB owner or HQ?

TPTB = “The Powers That Be” .

That might be the Help Center at Geocaching.com, or it might be any helpful Mod that has similar access to change TB logs.

But it still isn’t ideal if the thing is traveling.  The TB Owner needs to change the TB page itself to mention that the TB is locked and what that means.  Otherwise future finders will be confused.  I foresee a mess.  B)

46 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

...is not being very considerate.

Yep, you're right.  You want to know what else is inconsiderate?  Posting hundreds/thousands of tracking numbers on social media (not pointing fingers at you).  I'm not an isolated case, and the anger and frustration is getting louder.

I Unlocked > Marked as Missing > Locked. 

Hopefully that will take care of it.  If not, please contact HQ to remove it from your Profile.

Just now, Touchstone said:

Yep, you're right.  You want to know what else is inconsiderate?  Posting hundreds/thousands of tracking numbers on social media (not pointing fingers at you).  I'm not an isolated case, and the anger and frustration is getting louder.

Hopefully that will take care of it.  If not, please contact HQ to remove it from your Profile.

I just checked the TB in my possession and that stays with me on my travels and isn't released. I have made the mistake of taking it to a MEGA, where they made a list of the TB numbers, and I was FLOODED with 'Discoveries', so I will never do this again; either to my TB or another's. I checked the late 'Discoveries'  to see if they came off a list, but they seem genuine. IE. They logged attendance at the event.

Fortunately for my TBs travelling I have never been flooded with lots of 'Discoveries'. A few discoveries occasionally, but usually they mention a Meet and sighting it there, and there aren't masses of logs.

I have had someone else's TB in my possession when discoveries have been made from the other side of the world. I contacted the TB owner about this and said that the TB is with me and they couldn't possibly have seen it. They replied that the TB had got on a list and they were annoyed about it, but they never deleted any of these false logs. I got tired of these continuing false logs when it was in my possession and the owner not doing anything about them (even though stating they were annoyed by them) by deleting the logs, so got rid of the TB into the next big enough cache I came upon. If the owner had deleted the logs I wouldn't have minded travelling with the TB longer and showing its travels (I include photographs), and I could put up with the discovered emails if I knew the false logs would be deleted. But the non action of the owner was frustrating.

13 hours ago, 13RPoor said:

If me, I'd  contact HQ, and ask to have this thing taken off your inventory.   :)

It appears the TO did fix it  for them, by marking it missing...

I'd leave a brief mail asking what they'd like done with it.

If no response,  I certainly wouldn't put it back into a cache again (creating a hassle for the next finder too...) without the TO asking me to.

Edited by cerberus1
11 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I got tired of these continuing false logs when it was in my possession and the owner not doing anything about them (even though stating they were annoyed by them) by deleting the logs, so got rid of the TB into the next big enough cache I came upon. If the owner had deleted the logs I wouldn't have minded travelling with the TB longer and showing its travels (I include photographs), and I could put up with the discovered emails if I knew the false logs would be deleted. But the non action of the owner was frustrating.

I didn't know that the while someone else's TB is in your Inventory, you get emails when it's "Discovered".  That would be a good thing to change.  Make it so you have to be "watching" it in order to get other people's logs emailed to you.

13 hours ago, 13RPoor said:

Are you saying she didn't respond after she responded? 

It should now show as "Missing" and therefore out of your Inventory.  Yay! :)

12 hours ago, Touchstone said:

What is the plan now with that locked TB?  If it ends up in the wild, with no particular explanation on the TB's page, finders will have a tough time figuring out what's going on.

• Upvote 1

It's the owner's choice, so there's not much you can do about it. If it were me, since I couldn't log it into a cache, I'd put a watch on it and then throw it in my trophy box and hope I remembered where it was if the owner ever opened it up for traveling again. I know Touchstone was just trying to help, but it strikes me that the two things that make the least sense are marking it missing when it not only isn't missing, but it is exactly where the system says it is, and the other suggestion people are making, putting it in a cache when you can't log it in there. The downside, of course, is that it's in your inventory and you don't want to be bothered by it, but that strikes me as a minor burden to bear.

28 minutes ago, dprovan said:

The downside, of course, is that it's in your inventory and you don't want to be bothered by it, but that strikes me as a minor burden to bear.

That was the most accurate state of that TB: in a cacher's possession and in that cacher's Inventory.  The OP had the thing for 5 months, and had ample opportunity all that time to get it out of his/her Inventory if that was the goal.

It's Trackable while "Locked", but you don't get a Stat for it.  If I "lock" a traveling TB, I will also have information on the TB page about what the deal is.  In fact, I'm working on some TBs with the intention that they travel while "locked".  Or they may travel with only the Reference Number so that people can post "Notes".  I haven't decided.  They're gonna be pretty cool.  I'm not letting you in on my plans, you'll just have to find one to know what the deal is. :cute:

Sure the mass Discover issue really sucks, but one doesn't need to pay that forward.  OK, "it's the owners choice" to perpetuate the angst or not.  If it were me and if I lock it, I'd let it continue to journey as long as it may, and I'd have information on the page about how or when to send me travel stories and pictures.  It's still got the tracking number, place it, let the TO know where it is, send a photo.  Just because HQ "doesn't do anything" in no way means cachers don't do anything. :)

Edited by kunarion
Just now, kunarion said:

I didn't know that the while someone else's TB is in your Inventory, you get emails when it's "Discovered".  That would be a good thing to change.  Make it so you have to be "watching" it in order to get other people's logs emailed to you.

I was watching it, as any TBs in my inventory I watch. I like to watch it until the next person picks it up after I release it. The frustrating thing about the false logs to me, was not so much the emails about them, but that the owner let them get away with it.