What ever happened to the White Jeep Travelbugs?

BKip

Yeah...  Retrieved in '14, and now a couple Discovering it from faceboook.  Sheesh...  

We saw many past owners holding on to them, since many were grabbed ...and not given back.

After 2007 when the promotion was done, we were seeing them on ebay.  A yellow one was there just a couple weeks ago....

Quite simply, geocachers stole them. And sometimes bragged about it. I remember one story of a cacher who used to bring chains of Jeeps around his neck to geocaching events and MAYBE he would let you discover them. I discovered that one of our own local cachers had stashed dozens of them in his own private inventory. I was lucky enough to find  about half a dozen of each of the four years (Yellow, White, Red and Green if I remember correctly.) It was a great promotion that started the year after I started caching. The golden years!

• Upvote 1

I requested a White Jeep TB when the promotion came out in 2005. To my surprise, I ended up receiving a box full of them. If I remember correctly, the Jeeps, tags, and chains were separate so we had to put them together before setting them loose. Took em to events to hand out and let several of them go in various caches. Didn't keep a single one. I figured I'd see them around for a while but most seemed to disappear pretty quickly. It's been years since I've seen an original. :(

On 1/6/2020 at 3:01 AM, hukilaulau said:

Quite simply, geocachers stole them. And sometimes bragged about it.

Yep.

I had one of each color once.  I kept them for a bit, took them to events, and then released them in caches.  I am pretty sure all of them ended up being "collected."