Right-click 'Add to list' to open link in new tab does not work

mellers

From any cache page, it should be possible to right-click the 'Add to list' hyperlink which should then display the standard Chrome menu for such an action. These options include 'Open link in new tab', 'Copy link address' etc. From today, this menu does not appear when right-clicking this particular hyperlink and instead I am presented with the standard right-click menu which would normally appear when right-clicking on a blank area.

Please reassure me that this is not a new 'feature' and you have decided not to allow us to enter list details at the same time as creating a new entry - as this will create a hell of a lot of extra work. Please fix what I hope is a bug.

the "Add to list" feature is behaving erratically over here tonight,   most of the times i click it nothing happens (apart from a short flash of something), refreshing the cache page helps most of the time,  although sometimes I have to refresh the page a couple of times....

cheers from holland, Ton (BBE)

• Helpful 1
15 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but ‘Add to list’ displays a pop-up to allow me to quickly add the current cache to an existing list.  I can’t see how this could open in a new tab (nor what the benefit might be).

Clicking it normally opens the list of lists that you show. Right clicking it used to bring up a menu that allowed you to open the old edit window so you could add a comment or change the name before adding it to a list. That right click stopped working recently, so now if I want to add a comment, I have to go to the list, find the cache I just added, and edit it from there. Very annoying, especially on a large list.

I don't know if there's a connection, but I noticed it just after I disabled all the cookies extraneous cookies we used to have no control over.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Windows, Firefox

To the OP, I believe you're describing "old list" behavior - > right click and have the option to append to cache title, or add notes at the time you create the bookmark.

You may unaware that the lists feature is in mid-update, with some accounts on "old" lists and most accounts on "new".

I have 2 premium accounts on this site, one with new and one with old.

My best bet (and I'm horrible and guessing what HQ is going to do next) is that no fixes will be made for anything "old list", because ultimately, the plan is to make them go away.  On the other hand, if it's something that was introduced with the update on brought on by new privacy laws, it may be fixed in the process of fixing the many, many bugs associated with that change.

And, when you report a bug, it's a good idea to state the browser you're using. Some bugs are browser related.

Yes this was a recent HTML change where they made the text-formatted link into a <BUTTON> element instead of an <A HREF> link.  Presumably to avoid having a scripted interception of a standard A element. And yet, the page scripts are still being loaded asynchronously and slowly so if you click the link the effect is that the page will reload without showing the popup.

There are numerous bugs with the current (newly implemented) scripting or script-loading system, but this text link being formatted with a BUTTON html element is odd. I can understand, though, if their goal is to remove the 'old' separate Add To List page entirely; then they've succeeded, and it really is functioning more like a button than a link. But that page still does its just and provides the added ability to include a comment with the bookmark, so removing that separate page is a bold-- er, bad move, IMO.

Nonetheless... still some active scripting bugs here. And I believe the 'old' add to list page is still available, just obfuscated now since that particular link doesn't take you to the page (via middle click or right click to open in a new tab).

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

To the OP, I believe you're describing "old list" behavior - > right click and have the option to append to cache title, or add notes at the time you create the bookmark.

You may unaware that the lists feature is in mid-update, with some accounts on "old" lists and most accounts on "new".

No. First of all, we're talking about the link on the cache description page, so it has nothing to do with whether you're looking at old lists. (Can you still do that? I could have sworn I was given the new list or the old list and never had a choice about it.)

And the issue in the cache description is, again,  right click. Before they implemented new lists, a normal click of the "add to list" button in the cache description took you directly to the edit screen. After they put in the new lists, the original code took over the "add to list" link for the immediate add menu, but it let you right click "add to list", then select "in another tab" (for example) to bring up the entry edit screen to edit the entry before putting it in the list just like before the change.

By the way, I just had to do this without the right click again today, and I realized that it's not even as easy as I described in my previous post. Once you add the cache to the list using the new pop-up list, there's no way to go from there to the list in order to track down the cache you just added to it. I've gotten in the habit of refreshing the page so the list I just added it to shows up in the bookmark list lists, then I can click on that to go to the list before I even start on the cumbersome task of tracking down the cache I just added. I really hope this is just an oversight that they're straighten out soon now that thebruce0 has explained it to them.

4 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

And I believe the 'old' add to list page is still available, just obfuscated now since that particular link doesn't take you to the page (via middle click or right click to open in a new tab).

If there's some obfuscated approach hiding somewhere in the cache description page, I'd love to hear about it, but as far as I know, the only way to get to the edit entry page now is to go into the list, find that cache, and click the edit button. What just disappeared was pretty obscure, so I suspect that's what you're thinking of.

• Helpful 1
11 minutes ago, dprovan said:
4 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

And I believe the 'old' add to list page is still available, just obfuscated now since that particular link doesn't take you to the page (via middle click or right click to open in a new tab).

If there's some obfuscated approach hiding somewhere in the cache description page, I'd love to hear about it, but as far as I know, the only way to get to the edit entry page now is to go into the list, find that cache, and click the edit button. What just disappeared was pretty obscure, so I suspect that's what you're thinking of.

Yup.

There's no link on the listing that will take you to the add bookmark page with the comment detail.  The element we click on now has no url, just a script action to popup. Right click or middle click for managing links' navigation only works on A links, not BUTTON elements handled by click/tap scripted events.

Manually going to the url (I forgot its construction) might still work; that's the obfuscation. The edit button on the Lists page only does the popup, not the separate item edit page by URL.

Edited by thebruce0
  • Helpful 1

@dprovan  you're right,   Right click  on listing to add to bookmark isn't an old/list new list issue.   I suspect I was using it much more with old lists.

Pity that new coding always seems to cause the loss of some old useful features.  Many, many great new features on bookmark, but some losses in handling archived caches, and this, not able to modify the bookmark as part of adding it to the list.  

On 1/5/2020 at 4:42 PM, IceColdUK said:

Hi mellers!

Maybe I’m missing something, but ‘Add to list’ displays a pop-up to allow me to quickly add the current cache to an existing list.  I can’t see how this could open in a new tab (nor what the benefit might be).

Hi Ice- and Happy New Year!

I can certainly still do what you describe above by an ordinary left-click - but until a few days ago, was also able to open the hyperlink in a new tab with a standard right-click option, too.

The benefit to me was that the opened tab also provided the text box underneath for the details of the list entry. For a solved puzzle, that was mostly the HINT if not provided on the GPSr in the field. I use it for other things too, though such as details of qualification for a challenge cache list or parking co-ords distance and parking description when I'm using lists for planning a day out... or I used to :( 

(A) I could both add the item to the list AND write the hint in there at the same time - which was a quick way for me to populate that text box.

(B) Now I have to add the geocache to a list. Then refresh the cache page to show the list on the right hand side of the cache page, then open the list in full (crossing my fingers that it's not more than 500 items lone which many of mine are so I don't have to visit page 2), then used Ctrl+F to find the entry, then click on the pencil item.... and only then can I add the parking details co-ords, distance to cache etc.  It's taking more than twice as long.

The benefit to me was that I could so something in sentence (A) above in one go - whereas now have to go through the whole rigmarole of paragraph (B)... every time I add something to a list.

This is just to clarify for anyone else who might have been confused by my original post. Thanks for trying to help, though, ice!

Kind regards
Mellers

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, Isonzo Karst said:

No, this was working up until a few days ago with "new lists" and was the only workaround possible to enable me to populate the text box and add the list entry at the same time. It now takes ages to accomplish these two tasks.

5 hours ago, hzoi said:

I am not happy if this option has disappeared.  It just made my job of maintaining my airport bookmark list harder.

I respectfully request that this function be restored.

I feel your pain. It's making my use of lists as a planning tool for my caching-trip-days-out horrendously laborious.

I'm going to have to go back to Notepad++ at this rate and abandon using lists altogether. It's such a shame really as I was careful to explain in detail what I used them for, when they were at the consulting stage a year or so ago and now nearly all the functionality I used to embrace is gone.

Additionally, the edit bookmark list item popup is still statically formatted so if your browser (desktop, not mobile, cuz you know some people still use desktop) is too short, you can't access essential buttons like save and cancel unless you expand your browser.  UI design not flexible and friendly, and still seems more favourable to mobile-only.

As an aside, I've been redesigning a company website with speed and flexibility in mind - resizing the browser window to many sizes and orientations (suiting desktop and mobile browser layouts) - and having the visual design AND functionality work reasonably in any situation, even if it means hiding component and providing 'expand' buttons. This optimizes the UI for mobile and for desktop, and that's just using CSS. GC is much more functional, but there still seems to be a very slim usability flow that's tested for the website, and if anything is adjusted for desktop use it feels implemented with a whole lot of grumbling, as it were.

Maybe, can we get a desktop-only test group to playtest all these new pages and features extensively before they're rolled out, and their opinions ranked as high as mobile test group users? :P :ph34r:

On 1/9/2020 at 10:16 AM, mellers said:

Hi Ice- and Happy New Year!

I can certainly still do what you describe above by an ordinary left-click - but until a few days ago, was also able to open the hyperlink in a new tab with a standard right-click option, too.

The benefit to me was that the opened tab also provided the text box underneath for the details of the list entry. For a solved puzzle, that was mostly the HINT if not provided on the GPSr in the field. I use it for other things too, though such as details of qualification for a challenge cache list or parking co-ords distance and parking description when I'm using lists for planning a day out... or I used to :( 

(A) I could both add the item to the list AND write the hint in there at the same time - which was a quick way for me to populate that text box.

(B) Now I have to add the geocache to a list. Then refresh the cache page to show the list on the right hand side of the cache page, then open the list in full (crossing my fingers that it's not more than 500 items lone which many of mine are so I don't have to visit page 2), then used Ctrl+F to find the entry, then click on the pencil item.... and only then can I add the parking details co-ords, distance to cache etc.  It's taking more than twice as long.

The benefit to me was that I could so something in sentence (A) above in one go - whereas now have to go through the whole rigmarole of paragraph (B)... every time I add something to a list.

This is just to clarify for anyone else who might have been confused by my original post. Thanks for trying to help, though, ice!

Kind regards
Mellers

This sums up the issue perfectly. I used the right click new tab all the time. Now I must do B. It is annoying and I do liked the functionality of the old system. 

I have it on good authority that this was disabled due to the new privacy cookie thing.  Page loads take longer, and the script-enabled bookmark dropdown takes a while to load.  And when folks clicked on the link before the page loaded, it took them to the old bookmark page.  The horror!  So to avoid this, the old link has been disabled.

Still not happy about it.  But there is at least a rationale behind it.

• Upvote 1
On 2/12/2020 at 7:53 PM, 2Abendsegler said:

Anyone who has no problems with scripts can still use the right mouse button to add a cache to a bookmarklist.

GC little helper II - Some little things to make life easy (on www.geocaching.com)

Thanks.  I don't know why geocaching.com can't right-click the mouse, but third parties can.  Maybe it's "too hard".  Also, your link fixes the asynchronous "Add to list" problem.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:30 AM, rickrich said:

Thanks.  I don't know why geocaching.com can't right-click the mouse, but third parties can.  Maybe it's "too hard".  Also, your link fixes the asynchronous "Add to list" problem.

Geocaching.com doesn't stop you from "right clicking your mouse", but they have certainly made the link so that it's not actually a standard link with a function you would think right clicking would provide.  It's now a button, not a link, despite looking like a link. If that makes sense. :P