Feature request: add sorting options on souvenirs page

Fobrokel

Other useful options might include listing the location-based Souvenirs (e.g., countries, states/provinces) separately from the date-based Souvenirs (e.g., Goodbye 2019, Hello 2020) separately from the event-based Souvenirs (e.g., mega-events) separately from other Souvenirs.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, niraD said:

Other useful options might include listing the location-based Souvenirs (e.g., countries, states/provinces) separately from the date-based Souvenirs (e.g., Goodbye 2019, Hello 2020) separately from the event-based Souvenirs (e.g., mega-events) separately from other Souvenirs.

Agreed.

- Though right now there's a few more pressing things I'd like time spent on, thanks.   :)

Edited by cerberus1
On 7/16/2019 at 10:50 PM, Keystone said:

Your souvenirs tab on the profile statistics at Project-GC.com organize the souvenirs into groups:  countries, regions, unique event caches, event-related, specific days, Geotours and "Other."  The "Other" category includes most of the souvenir promotions, like the current "Mystery at the Museum."

Within each souvenir category, the individual souvenirs are displayed in the order earned, with the date indicated. 

Here is one workaround.

Another is to view your souvenirs in the official Geocaching App.

36 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:
43 minutes ago, Keystone said:

Another is to view your souvenirs in the official Geocaching App.

Eh? How?

I just went into the app (v8.12.0 on Android), selected Profile then Souvenirs, and they're just listed in chronological order with latest at the top. I can't see any way to sort or filter them...

Chronological order is different than alphabetical order, and the OP asked for reverse chronological order.  The app gets pretty close to what was requested.  Again, just a workaround.

28 minutes ago, Maris4 said:

I've been caching for 10+ years. I eant to suggest to add "Sort by" function for the souvenirs. The A-Z is not bad, but "Sort by date" would help find the latest souvenirs much much faster.

This has been suggested many times in the forums! Great idea.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1

Maybe it's a program-not-theirs thing, but often asked for.   :)

Funny that it was only a couple years ago some got harassed for asking the same thing.  Popular again now I guess...

But I'd prefer they're grouped by what they are (state/country, promotions, etc)  and in order within their grouping.  Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
17 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You can't delete them, only hide them.

Actually that's only fade them in your own list, not hide them. It gets rid of them in the public list, but not your own list.

I now don't try to get souvenirs that are not location. Unfortunately they still happen. I wish I could delete souvenirs I don't want; basically any that aren't countries, states and the like.

It would be great to be able to drag the souvenirs around to suit too. I would list by country and then their states, etc.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Or better, make sure you don't get them which sometimes isn't easy.

I accidentally logged a Found instead of a Note and got a country souvenir for a country I've never visited. I asked HQ to delete it for me. 

And you're right- sometimes it could be hard to make sure you don't get a specific one. 

2 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

Actually that's only fade them in your own list, not hide them. It gets rid of them in the public list, but not your own list.

I now don't try to get souvenirs that are not location. Unfortunately they still happen. I wish I could delete souvenirs I don't want; basically any that aren't countries, states and the like.

It would be great to be able to drag the souvenirs around to suit too. I would list by country and then their states, etc.

I called it what the website does- "Hide this". I know it only fades it in your own list, not deletes it. It hides it from others. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, lefisher said:

All it needs now it to be able to delete any souvenirs I don't like eg 31 days of August.  If anyone knows a way to delete them I would be grateful.

We've had souvenirs deleted by asking Geocaching HQ.       :)

"hiding" not the same, and getting souvenirs not wanted just because we cached that day, we found that HQ will delete them for us if asked.

If you consider "your list" the souvenir "management" page, then it makes sense to show them all to you and "hide" them - from the public list. Hide implies that. Delete implies remove them from entirely. There isn't a 'private list' and a 'public list', only the public list, and your management page. That's the best way to think of it, given the way HQ has implemented these mechanics. On that note, it would be nice if there was a 'Delete' (not that I'd use it, but this is been a long-time request that to me only makes sense :))

On 2/9/2020 at 7:39 PM, cerberus1 said:

"hiding" not the same, and getting souvenirs not wanted just because we cached that day, we found that HQ will delete them for us if asked.

I have just received a reply from Geocaching HQ.  They say they cannot delete unwanted souvenirs, only souvenirs that were awarded in error.  They end by thanking me for my understanding.  I don't want any thanks because I don't understand why I have to accept unwanted souvenirs in the first place.

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1
On 2/11/2020 at 2:13 AM, thebruce0 said:

If you consider "your list" the souvenir "management" page, then it makes sense to show them all to you and "hide" them - from the public list. Hide implies that. Delete implies remove them from entirely. There isn't a 'private list' and a 'public list', only the public list, and your management page. That's the best way to think of it, given the way HQ has implemented these mechanics. On that note, it would be nice if there was a 'Delete' (not that I'd use it, but this is been a long-time request that to me only makes sense :))

I used to think it would be nice to be able to split souvenirs into two lists; the wanted (geographical ones) and the unwanted (the rest). I didn't think I wanted to actually delete them, but now I think if that was the only option given I would delete the unwanted ones.

As it is now I no longer have interest in getting non-geographical souvenirs, as they clog the list. I still occasionally earn souvenirs by accident. If the geographical souvenirs and and the others could have separate lists, that might actually spark my interest again to do souvenirs.

2 hours ago, lefisher said:

I have just received a reply from Geocaching HQ.  They say they cannot delete unwanted souvenirs, only souvenirs that were awarded in error.  They end by thanking me for my understanding.  I don't want any thanks because I don't understand why I have to accept unwanted souvenirs in the first place.

Huh. That's new. I'm sure they used to do that, because I'm pretty sure cerberus1 (and any other members who were automatically opted-in to souvenir promotions) have asked for those unwanted souvenirs to be removed before.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

Huh. That's new. I'm sure they used to do that, because I'm pretty sure cerberus1 (and any other members who were automatically opted-in to souvenir promotions) have asked for those unwanted souvenirs to be removed before.

Maybe too many people are now asking for them to be removed. If that's the case; stubbornness on HQs part for not supplying a delete button, or a sorting option.

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, lefisher said:

That's odd, I wonder if it's someone who doesn't understand what you were requesting somehow...

We've had a number of "unwanted" souvenirs removed by HQ.    

We didn't cache an entire month  a few years ago because we would have received an "unwanted" souvenir for every day out.

I mentioned it in these forums, and was told by a Lackey that we could simply send them a mail to remove them.  And have.

If we're no longer going to be able to have unwanted souvenirs removed from our profiles, I feel there should be a button to click,  to participate (or not...) for every marketing promotion.

I've been asking for this  since the '13  "31 days of geocaching"  promotion, but later said (and numerous times...) "now that we can mail HQ to delete them, I'm good" with no correction from anyone.

• Upvote 2
On 2/9/2020 at 7:39 PM, cerberus1 said:

I can only think you managed to get them deleted before some new rule came in.  They categorically stated that they would not delete any of my unwanted souvenirs when I asked.

• Upvote 1
On 3/29/2020 at 4:47 AM, lefisher said:

I can only think you managed to get them deleted before some new rule came in.  They categorically stated that they would not delete any of my unwanted souvenirs when I asked.

THIS is why they should implement a delete and opt in/out option. If they are getting so many requests that they no longer delete them for you......

Once thing I realized recently when opening up the 'official' phone app recently is that the "Hide" option that works on the main web site doesn't hide anything on the phone app.  All souvenirs appear there no matter what you do about "Hide" here on this site.  Annoying.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:57 AM, Fobrokel said:

I suggest to add a chronological sorting option to the souvenirs page. Currently souvenirs are displayed in alphabetical order but I’d be interested in seeing the most recently earned souvenirs first.

Your wish has been granted! You can now sort souvenirs and it's sticky!

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1